Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank positioning
Browser

posted on 25/1/06 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank positioning

Can't think of anywhere else to put this topic so here goes. Does anyone else think that the standard position for 7 replica fuel tanks is bloody awful? I can't help looking and imagining a rear-end shunt, with fuel spilling everywhere from the ruptured tank. Would it not be better to have it above the diff so there's a bit of space between the back panel and it? I know this raises issues with raising the C of G of the car having the weight of the fuel higher up but id've thought the increase in safety was more important.

emsfactory

posted on 25/1/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think it is a big problem. The chances of a tank blowing up are very small. I have never heard of a locost going up like this. Many production cars have the tanks at the rear.
02GF74

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
yep; gas (!) tanks onlyt explode on american TV and films. If petrol was that easy to ignite, there'd be no need for the AA, RAC etc. to exist.
mookaloid

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would make 2 observations:

1 as there is no obvious place to discuss Fuel tanks on here I'm not sure it is allowed

2 since I am in a flippant mood I don't care if this in in the wrong place - so my suggestion would be make sure you fast enough so no-one catches you and shunts you up the rear.

emsfactory

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

1 as there is no obvious place to discuss Fuel tanks on here I'm not sure it is allowed

2 since I am in a flippant mood I don't care if this in in the wrong place - so my suggestion would be make sure you fast enough so no-one catches you and shunts you up the rear.

I'll second that. if your driving slowly enough to let someone rear end you deserve to blown up. (although it wouldn't happen)

02GF74

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
quote:

I'll second that. if your driving slowly enough to let someone rear end you deserve to blown up. (although it wouldn't happen)

yeah, but what do you do if you are stopped a traffic light or rad junction and some dozey get runs into the back of you?

muzchap

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Originally posted by emsfactory

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, but what do you do if you are stopped a traffic light or rad junction and some dozey get runs into the back of you?

Well after extinguishing the flames and coping with the 3rd degree burns - hop out and beat the living f&!K into them

KitCar Rage

iank

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well after extinguishing the flames and coping with the 3rd degree burns - hop out and beat the living f&!K into them

Difficult if they hit you hard they have gone through the fuel tank and taken out your spine just on the other side of a thin sheet of ally and some grp/thin padding

Rear end safety (oooh! sir!) isn't the strong suit of 7's, outrunning them is your only chance

flyingkiwi

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Logical solution - Dont stop for anything!

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

oliwb

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Or make it like a tiger! Do exactly as you suggest and place it abov the diff.....at least if you get hit it'll be one vulnerable thing out of the way! I know I wouldn't like to be in an accident and find petrol leaking all over the place! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you are worried what about fitting a foam filled tank? Or a bumper?

Jon Ison

posted on 25/1/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
The best bet would be a "bag tank" foam filled ones would still leak if split, I will be all but sitting on mine when its made it will go in between engine and rear bulkhead, when banger racing we always had the tank fastened too the roll cage about a foot away from the seat, allegedly the best/safest place for it as theory said it wouldn't get hit there.

steve_gus

posted on 25/1/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
there are no end of car accidents on motorways and the like where people are killed by fires. There doesnt have to be a big bang.

A scenario is you get rear ended, the tank splits and dumps all the fuel under the car, you are trapped or temporarily out of action, and a spark lights the fuel. No big bang, but you are toast in a lake of flame.

The tank right at the rear bulkhead is indeed crap. My slopey backed hybrid has the tank about 1 1/2 feet forwards of the rear. (obviouslt not easy on a book car!)

atb

steve

ps - things you dont think could ever happen just might. A member on here was almost killed by burns when a heater hose dumped coolant on his foot whilst lapping donnington. Who would have expected that?

[Edited on 25/1/06 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 26/1/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I also will be having the fuel tank close to a foot forward of the rear. Part of the reason I went for the longer rear.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Hellfire

posted on 26/1/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just face facts and accept that these type of cars are not safe.

Once you've accepted this, you can put your fuel tank wherever you like.

Mark18

posted on 26/1/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I stuck mine up front between the wheels. It's as far away from the passengers as you can get and in a far stronger part of the chassis. And I have a massive boot.

Mark

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/1/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has composite protection.

Sounds really posh, but it is only a bit of 19mm marine ply bonded to the rear face of the tank. The ply is not really strong, neither is the 1.2mm steel of the tank, but bonded together is a totally different matter.

The rear bars of my roll bar also protect the tank as the are welded to the base of the rear panel and not the top.

Hellfire is right about the intrinsic passive safety of these cars, but the active safety is street above most normal cars.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

dnmalc

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Browser
I'm with you on this and it gives the option of puting the spare wheel in the boot as well.

quadra

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dax motorbike engined rushes have the petrol tank located underneath the scuttle and around the proshaft, just hope the proshaft doesn't break.

Mike

locost_bryan

posted on 26/1/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rear end collisions are by far the most common, and the ones you can do the least to avoid.

I am going to have my tank behind the seats, in front of the axle. Two tanks actually, either side of the driveshaft. Filled with foam.

I also plan to have the rollbar strut brace attached in such a way that it will give some rear end protection - take the roll hoop right down to the floor, and triangulated back up to the strut brace.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

02GF74

posted on 27/1/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryan
Rear end collisions are by far the most common, and the ones you can do the least to avoid.

err surely for there to be a rear end collison, there has to be a front end collision? unless they aqre all reversing accidents? And since much more driving is done forwatrds than backwards and at higher speeds, front end collisions have got to surelyt be most common??

stevebubs

posted on 27/1/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think this is where the MGF also has its tank...

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
The best bet would be a "bag tank" foam filled ones would still leak if split, I will be all but sitting on mine when its made it will go in between engine and rear bulkhead, when banger racing we always had the tank fastened too the roll cage about a foot away from the seat, allegedly the best/safest place for it as theory said it wouldn't get hit there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.