samwilliams
Junior Builder

Posts 86
Registered 21/7/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Bought (yeah, I know it's cheating) Sylva Pho

posted on 2/2/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Installing valencia distributor

Right, I've got my valencia distributor and coil (thanks paul) ready to try and put in this weekend. Looked through the information I can find as to what to do (notably the locust site info), and have a couple of questions that I'd really appreciate. Please make answers simpler than you'd expect, because I don't know a lot!

If I understand it right, you connect one each of the leads from the distributor to the positive and negative of the coil (I've got the right colours written down), and one to the earth. There's some stuff about ballasted leads and things like that. I've worked out that it's something to do with 9v vs. 12v coils, but not quite sure how to check if mine has or hasn't got one, and what to do if it has?

As for setting up the distributor properly. It says to get the engine so it's on compression on cylinder 1. Which end is cylinder 1? (does it matter?)

For it to be 'on compression', is the way to check to remove the rocker cover and see when it's as far down as it will go?

I'm a little bit confused as to the lining up of the distributor as you put it in. Any good hints?

How do you set the timing on it?

Hopefully that'll get me started, and manage to get it running. I am getting help from a couple of my friends who know more than me, but they still don't know everything.

Any suggestions would be welcome! (just a thought. If any of you have done this before, and would be willing to receive a phone call on saturday if everything goes wrong, can you u2u me your mobile number? You have no idea how grateful I'd be, and you can guarantee that, if I don't have any back-up plan for help, something's bound to go wrong!)

Thanks
Sam

p.s. Got some new spark plugs. Think they're correct, but thought I might as well check first. They're NGK BPR6E. Does that sound right? What gap do I want to set. Is it 0.6mm (i think that's right from the haynes manual)? In terms of using the feeler guages, they don't go up to that thickness. Do I push two together that make up the right gap and use that? Sorry for the simple questions, just want to ensure I don't make a stupid mistake. On another side note, I've read some stuff about a 711M block on the crossflow. How do I tell which mine is?

[Edited on 2/2/06 by samwilliams]

[Edited on 2/2/06 by samwilliams]

paulf

posted on 2/2/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent.
Paul.

flyingkiwi

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick question, what colour are your wires? as I have a black and a red wire, as you look at the top of the dizzy as if your about to fit it, is the green wire the front wire or the back one?

If you can answer this mate I owe you one!

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

samwilliams
Junior Builder

Posts 86
Registered 21/7/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Bought (yeah, I know it's cheating) Sylva Pho

posted on 3/2/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyingkiwi
Just a quick question, what colour are your wires? as I have a black and a red wire, as you look at the top of the dizzy as if your about to fit it, is the green wire the front wire or the back one?

Chris

Will take a picture when I get home this afternoon, unless someone can answer before hand.

Sam

02GF74

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have fiesta haynes - if you still need info I can scan and send but not til monday.
paulf

posted on 3/2/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
The dizzy has a 3 pin plug on connector on the built in ignition amp, there are three wires from this, a black which is live , a brown earth ,and a green wire that goes to the coil neg ve connection.The live black wire is fed from the coil plus side.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by samwilliams
quote:
Originally posted by flyingkiwi

Chris

Will take a picture when I get home this afternoon, unless someone can answer before hand.

Sam

flyingkiwi

posted on 5/2/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, still none the wiser. Noticed that there is an earth connector on the side of the dizzy, just need to find out if the Black wire on mine is black on the fiesta and the red is green. I think the cable has come off a mini, but not sure. If I can still get the pic mate that would be great.

Cheers
Chris

(will see if I can get a pic this afternoon!)

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.