Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Argh! I've struck oil!
David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Argh! I've struck oil!

Went in the garage last night and spotted a large pool of oil under the nose of my car!

Looked under the bonnet and found that I hadn't lost much oil - but I'd certainly been spraying it around the front of the engine compartment. Assuming that it must have been in a high-pressure area to spray 12" or so, I guess it must be something to do with the oil pump. It's certainly oily around there, while the rest of the block is quite clean.

Do these things tend to blow gaskets? That's my first suspect, although it might be as simple as a slightly loose oil filter.

Any other suggestions about what would cause a crossflow engine to squirt oil at low volume, high pressure forwards of the engine, and to the right?

More investigations tonight...

cheers,
David

flyingkiwi

posted on 15/2/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
something around the oil pressure transmitter? about the right area too.

I've got a remote VDO sender and didn't tighten up the pipe particularly well. Very similar amount of oil appeared on the garage floor

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

Rob Lane

posted on 15/2/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Xflows do two things usually, crack the oil pressure sender threads on the brass bit and occasionally spit out the rubber seal on filter.
Both will show up on tickover though.

nitram38

posted on 15/2/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Also make sure that you have seated the oil seal on the oil filter. I used to smear a small amount of oil on both sides of the oil ring to ensure that it did n't leak.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - I always do that - but it doesn't mean that I haven't done it up tight enough...

cheers,
David

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Also make sure that you have seated the oil seal on the oil filter. I used to smear a small amount of oil on both sides of the oil ring to ensure that it did n't leak.

02GF74

posted on 15/2/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
I used to smear a small amount of oil on both sides of the oil ring to ensure that it didn't leak.

I've always wondered about this (I'll keep my theory to myself for now)

Why should the smear of oil make any difference?

David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Allegedly, it helps you to seat the filter to the correct tightness, without the rubber washer getting all screwed up.

That's the theory I've been given, anyway!

David

caber

posted on 15/2/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Might not be high pressure leak if it is at the front of the engine it is amazing how the airflow from the fan can throw oil around. I have had a small drip on the front of my Rangie and the oil gets so spread around I am still not sure i have got the source of the leak after two years!

Caber

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not unkown for oil pressure switches to leak, but first suspect is the filter ---- don't over tighten it and make sure the rubber ring is oiled before fitting.
David Jenkins

posted on 16/2/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Found the problem!

Imagine what I saw the other evening - a big pool of oil under the front of the car, oil sprayed everywhere over the panelling near the front of the engine, and so on... big worry.

Got it out in a rare bit of sunshine, cleaned up the oil, and ran the engine for a while - no leaks. Revved it hard, still no leaks. Gave up and turned off the engine.

Carried on cleaning the inside... and found the rubber concertina bit on the steering rack had come off, obviously dumping its 150mls of oil everywhere! As I was travelling at speed, I really mean "everywhere".

Now I am feeling relieved, if a bit sheepish.

cheers to all,
David

[Edited on 17/2/06 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.