Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I've been robbed - litterally, now need help.
MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've been robbed - litterally, now need help.

Not sure why i'm writing this.

Came home from watching the rugby over an hour ago. Thought something was wrong when i walked in as a notepad that lives in a ruck sack was on the floor.

dropped my bags and walked into the kitchen. I knew i left in a rush but i couldn't believe id left the cupboards and draws open.

Then i saw the broken window. Yep, been robbed. Called the police immediately and they said they'd be round in an hour. I guess they're busy as i'm still waiting.

all my draws have been gone through but heres the comedy, my OLD pc is still here (hence this). My ancient (p166) laptop is still in the lounge with the greasy hand print on it. The TV, amp, cd player, ntl box, dvd player are all still here (the advantage of plugging them all in and running hte cables through the cabinet - you can tell 'it' had a bit of a go.

Tried not to touch too much but i've lost PS2, games, DVD's, CDs, PDA, bank statements and my faith i lived in a good area. Perhaps thats the problem, i do live in a good area.

already called the bank - annoyed as i was looking at buying a tintop so had a few pennies in the account.

Not been down the garden but i'm 99% sure they've come over my back fence which backs onto a 1 house plot of spare land, so does anyone know if its legal to put up barbed wire and where to get it from?

Does anyone think a flood light motion sensor would deter someone?

Are wireless alarms any good?
Can you run two bells off the alarm (ie front and rear)?
Where can you get additional sensors (i'd rather just run a series of PIR's than window / door sensors.)

and finally, anyone know how long it takes the police to turn up?

MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, they've not touched the garage

just phoned the police, they where on route but got pulled onto an emergancy & they have a high risk missing person so its not going to be for another hour at least.

bum

looking round now so many things i could have done differently, the window lock keys where next to the window so i could open them - doh.

the git climbed in through a window and used my car ramps as the climbing frame.

kept meaning to grow thorny bushes at the bottom & have started but ..... perhaps i should have bought already grown.

don't have any lights on timers and left curtains open.

No alarm (used to have a police dog handler living next door - no need for an alarm)

no motion sensitive lights

grrrrrrrr

DavidM

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Mike.

It's Saturday night, all the Police will be breaking up fights in the town centre, so it could be a while.

Unfortunately they will probably view your case as not urgent. They'll send some one round to brush for prints, probably tomorrow, but unless they find some belonging to someone "known" to them, then they won't do much to track down the culprits.

Sorry, but that appears to be the way it is nowadays.

Of course, if you'd have caught them in the act, and got a bit rough with them, they'd come down on you like a ton of bricks.

David

Jamie G

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Mike, that sucks..
Hope the police can help you catch them ****s

goodguydrew

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that news. It happened to me last summer. I lost a lot of precious family photos not backed up to CD. It's the irriplacable thinks that hurt the most. I didn't have my house alarm on when I was at work. Well I learned that lesson the hard way.
There was a 2nd attempt a few weeks later. This time they targeted the garage, but it is part of the alarm circuit too. They scarpered.

MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
pretty sure its one person (i've had a close look at hte foot prints)

Its interesting, he (an assumption) spent more time upstairs going through draws than downstairs stealing ps2. Curious what hes going to do with the cheque book and bank statement (both stopped). Guess he was a little miffed when he left, didn't get that much. What is an old PS2 worth? the games are all old as well (never played Fifa2003 - only got it second hand at christmas).

(i guess i'm going to be on here for a while tonight - can't believe the plan was to spend all tomorrow tidying up the house, at least him trashing it hasn't made it any worse )

goodguydrew

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:31 AM Reply With Quote
I should add, the poilce will ask if there was any "body fluids" left by the intruder. It can give DNA info.
MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have been warned about the second attack - basically leave it a month for the insurance to come through then go back.

Well hopefully he'll get a shock when i've got the place alarmed!

The real pisser is my auntie died today as well - rather sudden & unexpected. Not sure how to / if i should tell the olds tomorrow

So ........ any suggestion for what the third thing will be as i hear things come in three's.

MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodguydrew
I should add, the poilce will ask if there was any "body fluids" left by the intruder. It can give DNA info.

thanks - you know, i wasn't really that bothered about someone being in my house & going through my stuff but you've just turned my stomach and freaked me out.

The fact they've been through the beds (pillows moved etc) has got me 'worried'.

goodguydrew

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:36 AM Reply With Quote
Actually, I was thinking most of spit 'n' blood, or hair. Accidental, not deliberate.
MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
nope, none of that........ i've looked

although if there is hair it should be pretty easy to identify - i've got mine shaved to a number 1. So if its longer than that, its not mine!

goodguydrew

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out. Just said that incase you tried to clean up anything that the poilce might deem useful evidence.
MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
everything is being left. sat here with my coat on due to the damned kitchen window having a 5" hole in it.

Having said that, for once in my life i actually want to tidy up. damed annoying with the footprints in the kitchen.......

although thinking about it, while i've been hear they have dried off, implies the person wasn't long gone before i turned up.

MikeR

posted on 11/2/07 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
still sat here, still waiting for the police.

locostv8

posted on 11/2/07 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
I had a prowler a while back when I was running a kennel. We had 8 Newfoundlands 150 > 190 lb and about 20 Chows 60 > 100 lbs. They went between the house and the next neighbor, when they reached the back yard it exploded in dog. They didn't stick around long.

No longer have a kennel but live in a 10,000 sq ft house in the middle of 6 acres. Wej have installed an active alarm system, Golden retriever and Chow/Golden mix. This along with a 12 ga 8 round Winchester defender (sawed off with pistol grip) helps me sleep at night. When people come over for parts I make sure they meet the kids and generaly there is a gun around. I live in the country where everyone hunts and generaly have at least 5 guns in the house. There aren't many break ins, you do and you will probably be shot. It is a real deterent.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

bimbleuk

posted on 11/2/07 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear whets happened. When I first moved in to my house alone I was a little paranoid about this sort of thing being a new area to me.

Anyway for deterrents just remember what a messed up society we live in now. So any deliberate harmful devices will just get you in trouble but natural or incidental stuff should be OK. So think prickly bushes, trellis across the top of your fence. Yes security lighting, alarm etc

Basically anything that'll make your neighbours house look more tempting to any thieving scum bag.

zetec

posted on 11/2/07 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
Get down to your local electrical wholesaler who does alarms. I fitted a wired alarm with two bell boxes and internal sounder, loads of PIR and door switches for about £120 and a day or so running cables. A guy I work with always fits wired alarms as the radio ones get thru a few batts a year and more chance of false or blocked alarms. A little hassle but worth every penny. Get the lights fitted as the shits who do this sort of thing just want no hassle in/out jobs. The alarm is so loud both inside and out that the robber couldn't carry anything away as he would be too busy covering his ears. They will see a working alarm (and yes, you can in most cases, tell dummy boxes) and move on to someone else.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Aboardman

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
sorry about the news, if you have an old pc would these be able to run some of them cameras around the house and garage?
Aboardman

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

No longer have a kennel but live in a 10,000 sq ft house in the middle of 6 acres.

how big

rusty nuts

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your problem , hope they get their just desserts. Mate of mine got broken into at work so he installed a video , next time he got broken into the video showed 3 guys , one about 3 feet away from camara looking directly into it who had a crowbar in his hand. Because yhe video didn't cover the point of entry into building it didnt show them breaking in. The police said it could not be used as evidence!! We knew wher they came from as a couple of days before a load of pikeys had parked a 1/4 mile away, the guy with the crowbar "bumped" into a few guys 2 days later.
locostv8

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/v/7slotgrille/hssss/album49/

[Edited on 11/2/07 by locostv8]

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

oliwb

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
We live in the back and beyond. Only other house near us is the gamekeepers. People tend to know there are guns about (and thus far) haven't bothered. Not got alarms, locks on windows etc - in fact I rarely lock the car or house! Should probably start doing that really! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
i got broken into in october and the buggers turned my garage over. . . no doubt my dog greeted them with a toy or something .

secure the place up and leave nothing outside that could be used to help, locked gates help at the side of the house and loads of lights outside. my outside lights also on a random on off timer

iank

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds possible you might have disturbed him/them if the footprints were really fresh when you got back.

Taking bank statements sounds like they might try identity theft. Ask the bank what the best way to prevent fraudulent applications for credit. I was signed up on, I think it was, CIFAS (http://www.cifas.org.uk) at one point after one of the (ex) cleaners from work decided to apply for a loan with my details (stolen from my desk drawer).

p.s. Oli it's "If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!"

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wilkingj

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locostv8
This along with a 12 ga 8 round Winchester defender (sawed off with pistol grip) helps me sleep at night. When people come over for parts I make sure they meet the kids and generaly there is a gun around. I live in the country where everyone hunts and generaly have at least 5 guns in the house. There aren't many break ins, you do and you will probably be shot. It is a real deterent.

In the USA they laws are very different. You are allowed to confront and shoot an intruder (in self defence) basically as dead people cant appear in court to sue you.

I would strongly advise you to read a book called "In Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob
It changed my idea of being armed in your own home. He is an American ex Cop and shooter, so its more use to you. A good and sensible read. Its not fiction, more a textbook for shooters. Our club insisted I read it.

As for the Garden. ANY spiky plant, hawthron hedge, roses, will deter a thief as he does not want to leave DNA from getitng scratched.
Make the fence higher.
Barbed wire and Glass will give you issues as they can sue you for injuring them. I dont agree with this either (suing you for the glass). Use ALL natural products, ie spikey plants, then its an act of god type affair.

Definately beef up the garage. My sister got done twice by the same bloke. But they did catch him, but she didnt get our granny's jewelery back.. not that valuable but imense sentimental value.

Change door locks unless you know they didnt take any keys at all.

Alert the bank in writing to your statements being taken, and be alert ofr Identity Theft incidents in the near future.
Make sure you get all thes reproted to the police, and GET A CRIME Reference (need it for the insurance)

Sorry to hear, but there are some b'stards about, or just sad f**cks feeding a drug habit.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.