Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet advice
Paul (Notts)

posted on 12/8/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet advice

Helmet advice

After taking the car for a quick test drive - private road – I have decided I need to buy a helmet very soon.

Any advice or suggestions on what make or type to get.

Looking a something around £100 - £200

Paul

Ps – stones hurt even at 20mph

jos

posted on 12/8/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
it doesnt matter whether you are willing to pay £50 or £500 make sure you only buy the helmet that you feel most comfortable in.

Once youve found 2 or 3 if youre that luck that you feel comfortable in only then does it come down to price and whether youre willing to pay the extra for the most expensive

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Borrow a helmet before you buy - I bought 2 early on before the car was finished, but when driving, I found that the aerodynamics make it feel like you are being pulled out of the car by your head at anything above 80mph.

I now drive with a pair of impact resistant goggles off ebay, over 2 years and 8K miles without any problems

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

coozer

posted on 12/8/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't take any advise from Helmets, there's plenty round our way who cannot take a few pints and end getting on your t€ts!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/8/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
If your planning on racing ever, then it might be worth investigating any helmet regs..some tracks only allow approved lids (thats for bikes, but I suppose the same is true on a car).

You HAVE to try helmets on, as fit is the most important thing - even above looks

Go to a bike shop round your way, and don't get talked into getting an aria, yes they are a cool make, but unless it fits like a glove go elsewhere that don't try and sell you the most expensive helmet.

Of course you could forget function, and go for a simpson bandit with blue iridium visor, buy a cream race suit and pretend to be the stig everywhere you go

niceperson709

posted on 13/8/07 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you just want a good helmet for road driving there are some good open face jobbies that have a built in visor and these are a better option than a full face because they are easier to get on, less claustrophobic and if you happen to wear spec's much easier to put on or take off oh yeah and a bit less intimidating when you want to fill up with fuel or nip into the shop for the paper ect.
Nolan makes a very nice one at a very reasonable cost . http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n41.htm

[Edited on 13/8/07 by niceperson709]

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/07 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Caberg make some nice ones right in your price range. They come with the added advantage of an internal dark visor that you can flip up and down.

But, as said above, fit and comfort are vitally important.

David

Paul (Notts)

posted on 13/8/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Tried on over 20 helmets today. At the start of the day had picked 6 helmets from the internet and located 3 shops that would allow me to test all 6 helmets out and make a decision. 20+ helmets later I bought one that I had not originally intended to get BUT it was a perfect fit and felt right.

A Shoei Multitec

Paul

jos

posted on 13/8/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
congrats well done

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/8/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
My first lid was a shoei, good lids.

I went down the road on my face for about 80 yards, it ground down the side - about 2-3cm of the white foam stuff ground flat.

Was pretty badly hurt elsewhere, but my face and neck was well looked after - think that says a lot.

David Cross

posted on 13/8/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Helmets

Helmets ! just built sidescreens for my locost, stops your hearing going and your head being battered by the wind. got sliding windows too. It dont make any difference to the wind if they are open or shut, but at 90mph I can keep my hat on. info to build them if asked for.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/8/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
My first lid was a shoei, good lids.

I went down the road on my face for about 80 yards, it ground down the side - about 2-3cm of the white foam stuff ground flat.

Was pretty badly hurt elsewhere, but my face and neck was well looked after - think that says a lot.

Thumbs up for helmets,
A few years ago they were not compulsory here in myhometown, but I used one full face on my Motorcycle.
A M F`r went past a Stop sign and I flew like Superman, landed on my chest and face, but no face injuries... if I weren`t using a helmet, most likely i would have needed at least extensive facial reconstruction.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
How to make friends at the local motorcycle shop: try on a dozen or more helmets and then go buy online.
Peteff

posted on 4/9/07 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
You can try on two helmets of the same make in the same size and feel a difference, but in a car I wouldn't be too worried as long as it has a shatterproof visor.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.