Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Energy saving kitchen lighting options?
ned

posted on 17/8/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Energy saving kitchen lighting options?

At the moment I have a stainless rail with 4x small halogen spotlights on it. It wasn't originally my choice and uses 4x 40w bulbs which is more than the entire rest of the house's lighting put together (energy saving bulbs in every room)!

Excluding striplights, what other options are there for energy efficient lighting in the kitchen? Obviously I can't use a conventional single rose bulb/shade but all other options i've seen have non energy efficient spotlights of some sort.

The only different bulbs I've seen are the new round/spiral type energy efficient bulbs.

Suggestions appreciated.

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coose

posted on 17/8/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Philips do a range of lower wattage, high lighting output lamps that should fit your fittings. I can't remember what they're called, but 'Masterline' rings a bell. They're not cheap though...

Spin 'er off Well...

rusty

posted on 17/8/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
LED replacment lamps depending on light fitting type.
britishtrident

posted on 17/8/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-240V-LED-SPOTLIGHT-BULB.htm

However don't forget that the heat halogen lamps provides fairly useful space heating, so the total energy savings aren't as great as they first appear.

[Edited on 17/8/07 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

BenB

posted on 17/8/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, but often kitchens are fairly toasty places due to the heat being emitted by toasters, kettles, ovens, hobs, fridges, freezers etc etc.... LED lighting has big advantages because it doesn't wack out heat.

Did anyone see the Grand Designs a few weeks back where they had bling LED lights everywhere. Looked good and used up 200W for the entire house!!!

caber

posted on 17/8/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Forget about LED plug in replacements for low voltage lamps they do not give enough light for a kitchen. I have a linear fluorescent on top of the kitchen cabinets bouncing off the ceiling and a low voltage strip under the units. I like it !

Caber (a lighting designer in real life!)

ned

posted on 17/8/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
When I said halogen spotlights I may have misdirected a little, they are the micro capsule (G9) 40w bulbs, like this and are seated in small frost glass cylindrical shades on a single straight stainless rail like this

Ned.

ps I do have the daisy chain style baby strip lights providing under cabinet lighting which I tend to use rather than the main light when I can.

[Edited on 17/8/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SixedUp

posted on 17/8/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
So, let me see. You have a 3KW kettle, an electric oven on a 45A circuit, a 700W microwave, a fridge/freezer, plus maybe a dishwasher etc etc.

Now think about how much time do you run the lights in the kitchen? Is changing the current kitchen lights going to make a big change to your electricity usage / carbon footprint?

I have the same problem with a chandelier in my stairwell. It has 100W of low-voltage haolgens in it. But I don't run it for hours at a time, and it looks pretty. So I'm keeping it

Cheers
Richard

Major Stare

posted on 17/8/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
You are currently only running 160W.

Your only option is to reduce your Wattage by replacing the lamps with 25W (total consumtion 100W).... CLICKY

HTH

Jon "FISH"

caber

posted on 17/8/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Guys, have a look at www.savethebulb.org ETDWM!

Are you after saving the planet or saving a few quid on your leccy bill? Are you interested in the quality of light or the quantity?

I am afraid none of this is easy and there certtainly is never a single answer that deals with all the issues, in the end you have to make a lot of judgements for yourself, or pay someone like me to make judgements for you Really it is interesting and worth reading as much as you can bare to so you can make a decision for yourself.

Good luck and feel free to contribute your opinions to the savethebulb campaign!

CABER

posted on 17/8/07 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dim lighting is a bonus in our kitchen.

You can tell when stuff is cooked by the fire alarm.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.