Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine now out.....question regarding rear main seal !
TOO BADD

posted on 31/3/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Engine now out.....question regarding rear main seal !

My XE engine is now out and I have just taken the box of cogs back to the ever helpful Brian and the crew at BGH Geartech in Kent for a slight mod. I posted a question on here about a month ago asking for help regarding a leaky rear main and had some helpful suggestions as to how to try and cure this. I am surprised at the condition of the old one ( 2500 miles old ). This was fitted during a rebore to 88mm, steel rods etc by a local engine builder but it obviously is not a genuine Vaux as the new one is and there is quite a difference in the two edges as the old one looks worn out, but the centre is fine. It looks as if it has been spinning in its housing causing the wear on the edge. I dont think it would have been too tight to fit in the first place to nessitate sending it in with a concrete hammer and I do trust the guys who fitted it as they have a very high reputation and have been doing this for years....but who knows! Any helpful comments will be appreciated.
TOO BADD

posted on 31/3/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Here's another !
TOO BADD

posted on 31/3/08 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
A better pic Rescued attachment XE EXHAUST CHAMBERS 002-1.jpg
Rescued attachment XE EXHAUST CHAMBERS 002-1.jpg

david walker

posted on 31/3/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
From the pictures you seem to have two different types of seal. Different in construction that is. No problem with that as different manufacturers do have different seal designs. I have fitted them all and have found no problem with them. An OE seal from Vauxhall won't have been made by them anyway so don't worry too much about that.

The seal won't have spun in the housing. It could possibly have been damaged upon fitting but that's unlikely. Most likely cause of the oil leak and the cause of 90% of rear leaks on Vauxhall is insufficient use / and / or incorrectly applied silicon in the back bearing/seal housing when assembled.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.