Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 questions
phil4521

posted on 14/7/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
2 questions

Does anyone know the sizes of the bolts I need to connect my Rover gearbox to Sierra diff? Also a source?

Secondly, on cooling, I have a header tank with 3 outlets, 1 large and 2 small, I am not using a heater, can you point me to a plumbing diagram so I make sure I connect these to the right places on Rover V8?

Thanks all,

Humbug

posted on 14/7/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
that's 3 questions

(and I don't know the answer to any of them... sorry!)

Omni

posted on 14/7/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
that's 3 questions

(and I don't know the answer to any of them... sorry!)

LMAO! Sorry it made me laugh.... or was it the beer?

O

jollygreengiant

posted on 14/7/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil4521
Does anyone know the sizes of the bolts I need to connect my Rover gearbox to Sierra diff? Also a source?

I assume that you will have had the propshaft made top fit, telling the manufacturer that you are using a sierra diff. In which case you will need a set of sierra/granada diff bolts and the cheapest place to get those from would be a breakers yard. I know that the spanner size is 15mm and I think that the thread size is 10mm fine.
Also you could look at this thread -
linky

[Edited on 14/7/08 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

darrens

posted on 14/7/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Standard is M10 1mm 10.9 (or is it 10.8) tensile, some use M12 1mm but most are M10
Paul (Notts)

posted on 15/7/08 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.burtonpower.com/product_main.aspx?home.aspx

sell bolts.

Paul

header tank - need pic of header tamk and info on outlets on radiator.

I have a large outlet attached to the middle outlet on my rad, small one is the expansion / air bleed retun from the small outlet at top of rad and my 3rd is a pressure relife outlet on the header tank, which drains excess water if it boils!

Dingz

posted on 15/7/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bolts, buy them from from Ford
Part no. 6118344 £1.14 each, they have the blue locking coating on them too.

phil4521

posted on 15/7/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I will post some pics of build progress and specifics of the plumbing question at weekend, no response on what is the bolt size for the Rover end of the diff?
Phil.

jollygreengiant

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil4521
Thanks guys, I will post some pics of build progress and specifics of the plumbing question at weekend, no response on what is the bolt size for the Rover end of the diff?
Phil.

Sorry mate the way the question read I thought that you were only after the Sierra end. I think that knowing Rover their bolts are likely to be something like 7/16th" unf. I will probably be corrected on this though.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Suspect the way you are wording your question is confusing people. I think what you mean is what is the bolt size and thread at the "gearbox " end of the prop ? The diff is at the rear of the prop.HTH
Paul (Notts)

posted on 16/7/08 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
May be wrong but I seem to recall that there were no threads in the output flange from my LT77 rover gearbox. I think I ended up with some unf bolts and lock nuts but then chaged them for metric ones by drilling the holes a fraction larger in diametre.

Paul

wilkingj

posted on 16/7/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Paul, you are right, the LT77 box is just a flange with holes in it and no threads.

Use high tensile bolts here as the shear forces are high. probably 10.9 grade as a minimum.

Cheap bolts from paddockspares.com as they are the same as landrover ones. (all models)

But use ones from the 90/110 / defender range as they all used the LT77 box in them except some of the V8's.

Paddocks are pretty good and cheap for landy spares. Link below...

Linky

20p each. the removal tool at £14 is a bit expensive, but makes it easy to do up the nuts, as you cant crank the propshaft over easily in the tunnel. (There is a lot of room under a Landy to do that, but not in a se7en)

The gaiters are not bad value either, it will keep the crap out of the sliding joint.

This is for the LT77 gearbox end ONLY,
at the Diff end, you need Sierra Diff Flange bolts. Scrapyard is best for them (free when buying other items)!

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 16/7/2008 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil4521

posted on 18/7/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
thanks all for this great info- must remember not to post Qs late at night after a couple of bottles of plonk. I will make it clearer next time and see you at Peterborough show for more guidance

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.