Board logo

Cossie power
jamiebenger - 28/7/06 at 09:49 AM

Hi all, Just about to start a new project, a cossie turbo in a locost chassis. I'm just in the process of sorting the final plans out and could do with finalising a few things. the engine is about 24" high in total and will come over the top chassis bar by about 9", do you think this is to much for the hood to go on? im planning on going rwd do you think they'd be any advantage going 4x4? any help would be great. Thanks.

John Bonnett - 28/7/06 at 09:56 AM

I have fitted a n/a Cosworth YB to my Phoenix and have had clearance issues with the bonnet. It is certainly significantly higher than the Pinto but it is a sweet and I hope an unbreakable engine so well worth a bit of hassle. My engine is a 2wd mated to a Rocket box and sintered clutch.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/bonnett_2006/phoenix40001Medium2.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/bonnett_2006/phoenix42002Medium.jpg

Please send me a u2u if you think I can help at all.

Cheers

John

BKLOCO - 28/7/06 at 09:57 AM

I'd love to see how you intend to fit 4WD into a standard locost chassis
Cosworth install has been done many times.

Hellfire - 28/7/06 at 10:32 AM

Nobody said it was standard and if DAX can do it.......................

Phil

BKLOCO - 28/7/06 at 10:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Nobody said it was standard and if DAX can do it.......................

Phil

Fair comment....

nick205 - 28/7/06 at 12:36 PM

you should have a look in Hicost's photo archive and/or U2U him. He has a rather tasty Cosworth install in his RWD locost. From memory there's very little space left in his engine bay though.

froggy - 28/7/06 at 04:46 PM

if you think 4wd cosworth power is cramped try putting a v8 in as well. there are a few 4wd cossie daxes and they certainly make the car a much more pleasant drive in the wet. you will need the xr4x4 front uprights as the cossie uprights have different geometry .if the car is for fine weather only then i wouldnt bother ,if i was starting my build again i would go for two wheel drive but ive converted an mt75 to fit my rover v8 Rescued attachment bad kitten2..jpg
Rescued attachment bad kitten2..jpg

coozer - 28/7/06 at 07:45 PM

Intersting, how did you get the MT75 onto the V8 block? It looks fairly standard.

Have you made a new adapter plate to suit the two??

DIY Si - 28/7/06 at 07:48 PM

Indeed he has. It's the shiny bit between whats left of the mt75 bell housing and the front bit of the rover bell housing. Don't know about the clutch though.

froggy - 28/7/06 at 08:22 PM

clutch is cosworth and the cover is rover which are the same diameter .it retains the ford cable /fork system and the ford bearing. spigot bearing is a couple of mm bigger inside .
im sure it would have been a lot easier to make a plate up but i think this a stronger solution without having to make a top hat type spigot bush to centre the gearbox input shaft properly.