Board logo

front chassis bracing
timf - 20/6/03 at 02:51 PM

I was looking at the new dax cobra replica
and in that they have put a cross brace between the suspension mounting points
and one have any ideas if this would do any good if on a locost if tubes fu1 and fu2 where cross braced as the forces on the top suspension on one side would be feed towards the forces from the bottom one on the other side.

Danozeman - 20/6/03 at 03:08 PM

Wil there be space in your chassis with the big engine for it??

Theres a thread on here somewhere with the best strengthening add ons..

I reckon it would help cos it would stop that part of the chassis flexing on cornering etc..

DaveFJ - 20/6/03 at 03:41 PM

if you have a look at

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/acwsj/help/lowcostmods.doc

there are some suggestions for chassis mods. HTH

macbrew - 21/6/03 at 07:16 PM

I've done the mods described and just looking at the front end makes me feel a bit safer (assuming it gets on the road)

I would also recommend to new builders that they fully weld in a steel floor and seat back. The flimsey Ali jobs just aint strong enough. If you want more poke, use a suitable engine rather than break your legs for the sake of a couple of pounds in weight.

cymtriks - 21/6/03 at 07:29 PM

Yes, it is a good mod and I think it is included in the later versions of my lowcost chassis mods (The above link is one of mine). I don't emphasise it too much because of the engine clearance issue. I wouldn't want to suggest something that would get in the way of fitting an engine for obvious reasons.

You can't really go very wrong with adding diagonals, V braces, welded in panels or X braces to most spaceframes as most them are not very well braced to begin with.

simontiger - 23/6/03 at 09:35 PM

Great Site will use then on my chassis the only thing that i need to know is (R) removeable at all so i can fit a pinto if so what other braces to fit to remove(R)

Regards
Simon

timf - 24/6/03 at 07:53 AM

simon

have a look at this topic

http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=5449

Tim

A Badger - 24/6/03 at 08:59 AM

The Cross brace on the new Dax chassis is not for strength, it's part of their camber compensating front suspension setup.

i.e. If one of the front wishbones moves up the cross tube moves the opposite wishbone to ensure that both wheels stay parallel and thus has zero effective camber change. Apparently it's a very complex system to setup (reading between the lines if not done correctly it will cause more problems than it solves).

Andrew

simontiger - 24/6/03 at 05:14 PM

Thanks Tim

Simon