Board logo

Disposing of gas cylinders
JohnFol - 15/12/03 at 02:46 PM

So, we've all made the mistake of using the cylinders from Halfords before renting the big ones .. Question is, what do you do with them when they are empty?

My local tip refused them, and the local Halfords only accept old batteries. So what can I do?

Mark Allanson - 15/12/03 at 03:18 PM

Save em all up for next 5th November, put them in the base of the bonfire

Fun for all the family!!!

Seriously, with the new EPA laws, Halfords have a Duty of Care to either dispose of them for you or tell you where they can be dumped - as they supplied them initially

JoelP - 15/12/03 at 03:29 PM

i just put mine in the wheelie bin. its empty so why not?

Staple balls - 15/12/03 at 03:38 PM

i do belive, empty or not, they'll still contain some gas, and even if there's air in them, they could explode in a fire

JohnFol - 15/12/03 at 03:41 PM

In fact, the bottel states "please dispose of properly" . . whatever that means

FYI I called Halfords customer care line. They got back to me within minutes and suggested if I had problems I could contact SIP, the manufacturers to see if there is a local drop off point.

worth a try

andyps - 15/12/03 at 09:46 PM

A friend of mine refilled one (unofficially) for me once where he worked - then changed jobs so couldn't do it again. He didn't manage to completely refill it but it lasted fairly well.

Now I put them in the bin - batteries for torches etc. also say to dispose of properly, again what does that mean.

craig1410 - 15/12/03 at 10:14 PM

I just drop mine in the bin too. After all, we dispose of aerosol cans that way, some of which contain much more dangerous gases than Argon or CO2.
Cheers,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson - 16/12/03 at 12:05 AM

argon co2 are not explosive gases!

just shove it in the bin

atb

steve

JohnFol - 16/12/03 at 09:42 AM

The gasses are not explosive, but a sealed container that gets heated may . ..

FYI I tried the manufacturer who just said "drill a hole in them and take them to a scrap yard".

JoelP - 16/12/03 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JohnFol
FYI I tried the manufacturer who just said "drill a hole in them and take them to a scrap yard".

bloody loonatics? how the hell can you recommend to joe public that they should drill a hole in a previously pressurised container?! thats asking to get sued, or prosecuted by the HSE.

there is, IMHO, much more chance of people getting killed this way then there is of it miraculously heating itself up and exploding! And 99.9% of the time the only place it will get heated is in a rubbish furnace, which will take a little popping inside it quite well...

[/rant]

craig1410 - 16/12/03 at 12:26 PM

In my experience the formula:

HSE <> Common Sense

applies here as is often the case. Some of these guys just make up daft rules based upon a single freak accident 20 years ago which all of us are then asked to adhere to every day despite the fact that you are 100000000 times more likely to be killed crossing the road.

Don't get me started....
Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Apologies to decent HSE inspectors out there, I know there are many of you who do actually posess common sense and apply it well ! I know one who once climbed inside a cardboard compacter to clear a blockage because it was too dangerous for anyone else to do it... He was less than pleased when someone locked him in

DaveFJ - 16/12/03 at 12:46 PM

local council refuse department can advise on where to get rid of cylinders

Stu16v - 16/12/03 at 06:24 PM

Ding what Mark Allanson said.
Halfords have a legal duty to dispose of any such waste (even though they *may* incur a charge for doing so if they knew their resposibilties). So put 'em in a bag, and drop 'em off next time you are in the area-oh yeah, and take any waste oil in while you are there. That'll please 'em....

stephen_gusterson - 16/12/03 at 06:46 PM

might explode....

hmm

so

never put batteries in the weelie bin?

never put an old aerosol in the wheelie bin?

never poured any inconvenient substance like petrol or white spirit in the wheelie bin?

old tampons or condoms (obvious health hazards)

dead budgie?

old socks?

broken glass?

jordan calendar?

open tin cans with sharp edges?

its a bin - stuff gets thrown in it. Never ever heard of the local incinerator going nuclear cos someone in my town of 10,000 houses, just once threw summat in the bin they shouldnt have....

atb

steve

[Edited on 16/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

MikeR - 16/12/03 at 08:35 PM

what if you if you happen to have a BOC oxygen cylinder you shouldn't ?

(hypothetically speaking of course!)
any suggestions on how you should hypothetically dispose of it?

Peteff - 16/12/03 at 08:43 PM

Stand it near the gate and it will disappear on its own. Thinners makes the bin smell nicer and the local council depot has an oil and battery repository round here. You can go to the depot and get a good telly or pushbike as well as garden furniture and all manner of ornaments. It's a real challenge to throw something away and come back empty handed.

yours, Pete.

Stu16v - 16/12/03 at 10:59 PM

quote:

It's a real challenge to throw something away and come back empty handed.

Hehehe. Especially when it could be 'Locost-able'.....

Cor. Locostable. I think I have just invented a new word

MikeR - 17/12/03 at 02:28 PM

hmmm, the last time i went i got (well paid the bloke a couple of quid for) some ramps. Really good, heavy duty ones. 1 problem, the tin top has a front (factory fitted) skirt so low that it means i can't use them

Rorty - 18/12/03 at 02:34 AM

Before I left Norn Iron, I used to get hold of gas cylinders from a bloke who salvaged them from Belfast Lough.
The lazy welders at Harland and Wolf's would throw the empty cylinders over the side of the ships rather than get them back onto the dock.
I would then fill them on someone else's account.

JohnFol - 23/12/03 at 05:17 PM

FYI Went back to Halfords and told them what their head office had said.

Manager refused to believe me so dumped all 20 of them (plus some odd scraps of metal) in their skip!

DaveFJ - 24/12/03 at 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You can go to the depot and get a good telly or pushbike as well as garden furniture and all manner of ornaments. It's a real challenge to throw something away and come back empty handed.

yours, Pete.

PIKEY.....

JohnFol - 24/12/03 at 09:49 AM

I will of course take that as a compliment as under our belov'd government this could be seen as inciting racial hatred, thus condeming this ng to be closed down as it has an obligation to moderate such illegal activities. . . . And we didn't even get the pleasure of burning a caravan!

paulf - 29/12/03 at 12:44 PM

The bigest challenge at my local tip is to throw away anything that they cannot sell.
If I take a bag of rubbish in that contains a mixture of wood, metal, tree clippings and cardboard for instance they insist on it being divided into seperate bins.
Of course i always throw it in the unrecyleable waste skip and get threatened with being banned from the tip.The game is now to disguise everything to look like household rubbish.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
It's a real challenge to throw something away and come back empty handed.

yours, Pete.

stephen_gusterson - 29/12/03 at 07:34 PM

Ah Paul.

you dont use the one in kettering do you?

its a real arse pain!

everything needs to be sorted to nth degree.

I was next to soemone there that was being told they were 'dumping too much'.

this explains why so much shyte is dumped in the lanes of northants.

come the revolution, local councillors will be strung up from the speed cams.....

atb

steve

paulf - 29/12/03 at 10:59 PM

Hi Steve
yes it is the kettering tip as you say a real pain in the arse. They took my reg number last time, as i threw a bin bag full of wood in the wood skip but did not remove it from the bag, no bags allowed said the jobsworth at the tip.
Next plan of attack is to report them to the trading standards for selling electrical goods to the public, as this is not allowed, also maybe the HSE would like to know about the slippery ramps up to the skips. All ready for the next time i get abuse from them.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Ah Paul.

you dont use the one in kettering do you?

its a real arse pain!

everything needs to be sorted to nth degree.

I was next to soemone there that was being told they were 'dumping too much'.

this explains why so much shyte is dumped in the lanes of northants.

come the revolution, local councillors will be strung up from the speed cams.....

atb

steve

Mark Allanson - 29/12/03 at 11:18 PM

You should try the skips around here, I once took a Jeep and car trailor with a 3 piece suite, a fridge, a washing machine, 2 old chairs and a Christmas tree all held down with 5 ratchet tie-downs. As I drove to the 'waiting area', the load was examined by a gaggle of extras from Mad Max. I reversed in (a bit tricky because of the narrow entrance) I eventually got the trailor in and pulled on the handbrake, climed out and found the christmas tree and 3 tie-downs on the trailor! Discretion won in the face of hopeless valour so I drove home. About 2 miles down the A30 I saw the sofa half way up the embankment!

kingr - 30/12/03 at 12:17 AM

Well, I'll give the Somerset Council it's due - it may have a totally ridiculous attitude to road safety, but they've pretty good about throwing stuff away - never got grief about taking things to the tip and I paid £10 to have a Fiesta XR2 with no engine and the front cut off to be taken away, and I had a totally pilaged sierra with the engine in the back seat and everything else missing and a partial respray in black enamel down one side (practice!) taken away for free - maybe they've cottoned on to the fact that if they give people grief about throwing stuff away in the right place, they don't just go home and keep it, they lob it into a field/drag it somewhere a short distance from their home and burn it, which ultimately cost them more.

Kingr

Kingr

stephen_gusterson - 30/12/03 at 12:19 AM

i like the warning signs outside our tip.

illegal dumping is a 20k fine

dumping hazardous waste is 2k fine.

so - an old tv is 20k

a nuclear isotope 2k

wan#ers

atb

steve

Rorty - 30/12/03 at 03:53 AM

quote:

I'll give the Somerset Council it's due - it may have a totally ridiculous attitude to road safety, but they've pretty good about throwing stuff away

I had a chat with the resident Gypo up at the Odcombe Tip a while ago, and he informed me he actually tendered for the right to scavenge all incoming crap for its retail value!

paulf - 30/12/03 at 11:01 PM

That is the exact problem with our tip tossers, they tendered and bought the rights to salvage and expect the public to do all the work for them .At one time they used to climb in the skips and sort the rubbish, now it seems they would rather I did it.
The entrance area is more like a cross between a carboot and a jumble sale, and the que to get in can be horrendous at weekends.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
quote:

I had a chat with the resident Gypo up at the Odcombe Tip a while ago, and he informed me he actually tendered for the right to scavenge all incoming crap for its retail value!

stephen_gusterson - 30/12/03 at 11:28 PM

and...... its all arranged as a carousel.

rather than back ip to a skip and chuk all the crap in it whilly nillly, the skips are now arranged in a half circle.

around the half circle goes 3 lanes of cars. You are stuck untill the 3 cars in front of you have finished unloading. Then you have to walk to 4 or 5 skips in turn to put whatever it is you want to dump in the right skip.

the area on entry sells the most utter crap. I know I would be on skid row if I ever had to buy anything from there.

I often trash stuff thats half useful just so they cant make money out of me.

my mate was dumping a vacuum cleaner. 'does it work' they asked. WTF do you think Im dumping it he said!

atb

steve

paulf - 31/12/03 at 04:08 PM

Steve
i have to admit i always make sure anything i take there is beyond selling, but then again i never thow anything away that looks like it might be usefull.
The wife usually does that for me much to my annoyance.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I often trash stuff thats half useful just so they cant make money out of me.

my mate was dumping a vacuum cleaner. 'does it work' they asked. WTF do you think Im dumping it he said!

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson - 31/12/03 at 10:43 PM

ebay is useful

but if its worth 10 quid and weighs 40 kilo, its down the dump!

atb

steve