Board logo

MK Indy v's Robin Hood Sub-K
auzziejim - 4/1/03 at 09:48 PM

i am considering buying a kit from either of these companys as i cant seem to find a part built Locost, RH, MK or anything else anywhere for a good price! (im a skint student, LOL) however both these kits are £995 +VAT but i dont know which would be better as i am wanting to build a car as cheaply as possible!

please help me out guys as you seem to be the best people to ask!

robinbastd - 4/1/03 at 09:55 PM

As a Robin Hood (97 stainless exmo) owner I can wholeheartedly recommend......MK
Ian

chrisg - 4/1/03 at 10:05 PM

I wouldn't consider the Robin Hood, many have commented on quality and buildability issues, besides they're UGLY.

You could add Luego and Lolocost to your list but I can't see them matching the quality of the MK.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Chris

auzziejim - 4/1/03 at 10:18 PM

does any one know how much i should be looking to pay for a part built indy or locost then? would it be cheaper just buying a full kit?

im sorry for asking so many dumb questions but i love 7's and am new to the kit car building game, LOL

[Edited on 4/1/03 by auzziejim]

Skirrow - 4/1/03 at 10:53 PM

I'm in a simialr siruation as yourself, Im trying to decide on a first kit and the 2 you have mentioned are both on my shortlist.

From what I have read and so on I would choose the MK evry day BUT if keeping it cheap is important check what you get with each manufacturer. The subK is a *complete* kit, you just need a donor whereas the MK package for the same price is just the chassis a few suspension bits and some of the fibreglass body panels (but you still need to form a few yourself - having said that mos RHE bulilders will probably tell you that you need to re-form their panels anyway cos they are not a great fit)

I haven't any experience with building either, Im just pointing out that you dont get a lot with the MK in comparioson. Im still umming and ahhing myself.

auzziejim - 4/1/03 at 11:03 PM

yea i thought the RH would be the better option as it was a complete kit i have heard bad things about the RH's tho but if i could find a part built 7 of any make for a student friendly price i would take it!!!

Viper - 4/1/03 at 11:23 PM

I don't know the robin hood so can't comment but i bet if you went to the robin hood site then they would sing its praises and tell you to buy one, just like they do at the tiger site and every other site i have visited,including this one, all you can do is go and see them at there respective factorys and make your own mind up.
probably not what you want to hear but thats the way i see it

DEAN C. - 5/1/03 at 02:48 AM

Reading between the lines I think you know the answer!
You can't make a good car out of a poo design,and if you have remake a few items on some cars with the parts supplied,how good are they really?

Pennywise ,Pound foolish?

B3Saxo - 6/1/03 at 12:01 AM

I would pick Mk solely on Politeness and Proffessionalism. Go and see there unit's, I bet you within a week you'll be sending a cheque!

geoff shep - 6/1/03 at 08:02 PM

It looks like the Robin Hoods are all sold out until June - check their website. After then apparently the packages will all change so who knows - new untried packages.

The Mk indy package is a similar price and concept but looks to me to be a nicer, very well made car.

I built my RH in 1995 when there weren't all of the current locost options available and did it for the same reason as you describe - a cheap single kit. Now I think I'd go Mk.

Graham G - 6/1/03 at 08:35 PM

It has to be MK!

auzziejim - 6/1/03 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
It looks like the Robin Hoods are all sold out until June - check their website. After then apparently the packages will all change so who knows - new untried packages.

The Mk indy package is a similar price and concept but looks to me to be a nicer, very well made car.

I built my RH in 1995 when there weren't all of the current locost options available and did it for the same reason as you describe - a cheap single kit. Now I think I'd go Mk.

u say in your avatar that your undecided on what your building doe sthat mean your RH is up for sale??????? LOL