Board logo

Getting a standard vehicle's V5 altered?
MattCraneCustoms - 25/10/07 at 05:19 PM

Thought I'd ask you all as you must have dealt with plenty of legal issues between you. I have a 3 door, 5 seater peugeot 205, which I'm thinking of completely stripping out to make a nippy road car. Thing is if it only has 2 seats remaining, the V5 would be incorrect, so is it difficult to get the V5 altered to say 2 seater??

Thanks in advance,
Matt

twybrow - 25/10/07 at 05:22 PM

I did exactly the same with a 205 - and yes, it was a monster! I spoke to the DVLA and the lady said,

'If the seats can be put back in, then it doesn't need changing'

I did the same with insurace (but told a slight white lie) - I said I had done it to improve load carrying ability of the car!

As everyone get a different answer from the DVLA, it might be worth checking.

speedyxjs - 25/10/07 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
As everyone get a different answer from the DVLA, it might be worth checking.

Make sure you get the persons name and write down the time and date when you ask dvla just incase the 'forget'

John Bonnett - 25/10/07 at 05:58 PM

Surely,just because you take out the rear seats doesn't make the car a two seater.

MattCraneCustoms - 25/10/07 at 06:21 PM

thats true, but I didn't know if I welded a roll cage in where seats went, whether that might change the situation, i guess so. . . .

JoelP - 25/10/07 at 06:45 PM

weld in some mounts for some small seats, then you could easily say they were temporarily removed.

snapper - 25/10/07 at 07:10 PM

the car was designed and built as a 5 seater and you hve not changed that, you have just made it difficult and uncomfortable to get the other 3 people in it.
legaly they do not want more people and more loads than the design less is ok

mark chandler - 25/10/07 at 07:18 PM

Couple of examples now.

Galaxy, removable rear seats, take them out its now a plush van with windows.

Commercial Landrover, front seats only, buy the rear seats and window sides from Landrover and its now a county.... but when purchased it was charged as a commercial vehicle so cheaper, adding the bits is much less than buying equipped and when you advise DVLA they will charge you the extra tax you missed upon purchase.

The bottom line is adding seats, the do care and want money, take them out and it makes no odds.

Peteff - 25/10/07 at 08:31 PM

If you weld a roll cage in for road use insurance will want to know about it more than the seat removal.