Board logo

suspension design
Pseicho - 2/1/05 at 03:06 PM

Can anyone tell me (eg give me pointers, show me a website) how I go about designing the suspension system?

I understand this is one of the first things that should be taken care of but it's also the most difficult one.

I want to build a mid-engined 2 seater with double wishbone suspension, like the lotus elise/vauxhall vx220/opel speedster, and I want to use as much parts of the mk2 toyota mr2 as possible.

britishtrident - 2/1/05 at 03:37 PM

Plot out roll centres of any mid/rear engined sports cars you can get info on -- MR2, X1/9, Europa, Espirit Elise , MGTF et al and use that as starting point.

Cita - 2/1/05 at 03:46 PM

I would stick to the locost suspension plans and build the rest around it (body-rear engine etc...) and probably have a look on some of the members' cars on the Mid Engine section:
Oh....and welcome!

cymtriks - 2/1/05 at 04:30 PM

In the files/chassis section of the locost7.info site there is a document called kitcaranalysis-v2.doc.

There is a section in there giving suspension geometry and spring rate numbers for various cars including Elise, Caterham and McLaren F1.

Pseicho - 2/1/05 at 07:19 PM

thx for the replies

I got some suspension info from the lotus elise, but would that work on my car if I'd just copy that?