Board logo

Suspension modification
givemethebighammer - 19/1/08 at 05:37 PM

I did some measuring this afternoon. I knew that the tiger was wider at the back than the front but the difference was more than I thought. The front is 160mm narrower than the rear. I've been considering ways to modify this and have already designed a new bottom wishbone to give me the extra width. The top rocker is however a bit more difficult to recreate and I think it may be possible to modify the existing rocker. I thought I could make an extension that would screw in where the existing to swivel goes and weld it to the existing arm. I realise that this is going to put some extra leverage on the arm the question is how much? I have a attached diagram the dashed line is where I think I may have to weld some reinforcing in. Comments please
thanks

[Edited on 19/1/08 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment rocker ext.jpg
Rescued attachment rocker ext.jpg

Confused but excited. - 19/1/08 at 05:46 PM

Just my two penneth, but I don't think those gussets will give much support as the increased load on the bone will be vertical and the gussets are horizontal.
Would it not be better just to make new wider bones?

givemethebighammer - 19/1/08 at 05:55 PM

Making new ones would be more of a task, as they are not just bones that are rockers for inboard suspension. If I could get my hands on the jigs it'd be easier.

gussets are already there too - part of tiger design

[Edited on 19/1/08 by givemethebighammer]

britishtrident - 20/1/08 at 03:45 PM

Hint don't raise the titanic lower the atlantic.

givemethebighammer - 20/1/08 at 09:04 PM

thanks tri, not really sure what you mean but I think I get the idea. I've looked at the top rockers today and it won't be as difficult as I thought to make a jig to make new ones the right length. I now have most of the bits I need, just got to get some threaded inserts machined up.

thanks

NS Dev - 20/1/08 at 09:29 PM

M18x1.5 ones??

If so, let me know and I'll do a pair for you.

givemethebighammer - 20/1/08 at 09:38 PM

Thanks Nat, but I have already asked a local engineering guy I know to make them tonight. I forgot you had a lathe, just me rushing as usual. I want to get this mod done before the weather improves so I don't miss any of our wonderful British summer .

t.j. - 21/1/08 at 08:42 PM

If you have a Tiger cat the lower is from the sierra?

How will you handle that? or do you mod this also?

givemethebighammer - 21/1/08 at 10:08 PM

All sorted TJ the sierra arm is going, I am going to make some new bottom bones to replace the current set up. I have everythiing I need now so I can start on the jigs at the weekend.

t.j. - 22/1/08 at 07:25 AM

Good luck, keep us informed.

Would like to see some pictures afterwards.

grtz