Board logo

Fuel proof rubber sheet
James - 28/11/06 at 12:07 PM

I need to make a gasket to seal between a 2" diameter hole in the top of my fuel tank and the plate that covers it that will be self-tapped on.

I've tried some rubbery Loctite stuff from a tube (that I was told was fuel proof) but it disolved into the fuel and blocked the filter.

I've tried some 'Red Fibre' gasket from Frosts but it's too 'hard' and doesn't seal properly.

I wanted to avoid Hermetite Blue as apparently it goes hard and bits can drop into tank and block filter.

The best thing would be a sheet of fuel proof rubber (similar to what's sealing my sender) but I can't find any for sale anywhere.

Otherwise a tube of 'goo' that is fuel proof but stays rubbery.

Please help! I'm getting desperate! The amount of fuel running out of my tank isn't good for my wallet, the environment, any bikers behind me, and the over-worked fire brigade in case I also drive over a still lit fag butt!

Cheers,
James

tks - 28/11/06 at 12:12 PM

cant you just open up a fuel pipe? and drill and bend it? i used front wing kit/silicone / tube stuff and it works!

Tks

RazMan - 28/11/06 at 12:19 PM

It might be because the (I assume) fairly thin alloy is puckering between the self tappers. Have you tried a heavier gauge plate James?

Hammerhead - 28/11/06 at 12:23 PM

HI James,

I have a large sheet of rubber, approx 3mm thick. I don't know if its fuel proof but it seems very tough. Is it anygood to you? I can post you some if you u2u me.

CHeers.
Steven

02GF74 - 28/11/06 at 01:28 PM

I have a sheet of something at home that may help you - PM me with size and address and I'll pop a slice in the post.

I used it to make a gasket for my fuel sender, held in place with red hermatite (blue stuff is not petrol resistant) and no leaks so far.

Just to add I have used the plastic sheet from a milk carton before without problems

[Edited on 28/11/06 by 02GF74]

Dusty - 28/11/06 at 01:36 PM

You need nitrile rubber gasket sheet like this on fleabay. link

Dingz - 28/11/06 at 02:03 PM

Sorry Dusty James will need Viton for lead free fuels. If about 4" sq. is enough send me a U2U with your address and I will send some.

Dusty - 28/11/06 at 05:00 PM

Sucks. Is nitrile no good with lead free? What about all those nitrile O rings scattered about the car. I thought even the O rings on my injectors were nitrile. They should all be viton should they?

chriscook - 28/11/06 at 06:47 PM

I used a bit of inner tube on a blanking plate on the top of my tank. Seems ok but its not submerged being on the top face.

Chris

rusty nuts - 28/11/06 at 07:12 PM

Don't know if you can still get it and if it would be OK with unleaded but Petropatch could be what you need . Put both sides of a piece of gasket paper it should seal

Dingz - 28/11/06 at 07:33 PM

Yes, sorry Dusty, stuff they put in the petrol to replace the dangerous? lead is very aggressive, bio fuels are as well.
If you need to replace any of the nitrile ones mail me with the sizes and I will see if I can help.

merkurman - 29/11/06 at 03:16 AM

I am using cork on the tank in my fairlane. I have the sender and pickup sunk in about 1" from the top and have no problems with it (my sender CAME with a cork gasket)

James - 30/11/06 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses and offers of help!

Richard has kindly sent me some rubbery sheet type stuff with which to make a gasket so I will fit this and see if I stop getting blocked filters and breaking down like this morning!

Thanks again,
James

[Edited on 30/11/06 by James]