Board logo

Front Number Plate
Big Stu - 8/9/02 at 01:17 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone know the legality of using the stick on number plates on the nose cone?

Cheers

ChrisW - 8/9/02 at 01:36 PM

Bad news I'm afraid. The plate needs to be vertical so if it's stuck to the top of the nose cone it will fail MOT/SVA.

You could use one on the rear though - I know a few people who have used them on 'normal' cars.

Chris

bass - 8/9/02 at 05:54 PM

my E type and every other one had it stuck on the bonnet, except federal ones

Big Stu - 9/9/02 at 08:46 AM

Ah well never mind it was just a thought to tidy up the front of the motor. Cheers Anyway.

Stu

Chazzy - 10/9/02 at 07:19 PM

I looked into this ,i w3as told i needed a proper reflective one on the back (its the one the G***O cameras look at) but at the same time couldn't get a stick on one from reputable sources, the locaol motor factor however "could" get hold of one for me, i ended up putting the solid one on ther front of the nosecone, i've only got 2 numbers after the Q so i could cut the whole plate down a bit. could you do it with motorbike size letters on a std car plate and then trim the plate?

bass - 10/9/02 at 08:34 PM

im sure jag were took to court over their no plate on the bonnet and got away with it . it was back in the 60s

Peteff - 11/9/02 at 02:50 PM

A mate of mine got a caution years ago for having the number plate stuck on the bonnet of his mini, but it could still be read from in front of the car so he was let off.

yours, Pete.

Jon Ison - 12/9/02 at 04:40 PM

check this out.....as fitted to the "isonblade" any size you want too.....

http://www.fancyplates.com/step1.php?front=520x112&back=520x112&reflective=no&bothwref=no&slantontext=no&comments=+®istration=GFE+788N&font=font1&s hadow=silver&border=gb_flag&color=grassgreen-silver&side=back&bottomtext=fireblade&manufacturer=miscellaneous&logo=no

steve m - 19/9/02 at 09:19 PM

steve m - 19/9/02 at 09:34 PM

sorry, hit return to soon
on my first mot i had both front no plates
one stuck on the nose and one "proper" one underneath the nose,
i asked "the question" about the legallity of the nose plate, and my mot guy produced the "bible" as he was not sure, i can not remember the wordings but in basics it read that both number plates must be standard size and readable from the front or back of the vehicle, mine is, if you stand with your knees/shins against the nose cone and look down
i am not to sure about the "sva" test, i would say go with normal plates and change them later

steve