Board logo

Colour Choices
Pdlewis - 21/10/06 at 01:15 PM

Its come to the time when the old gal needs a bit of a colour refresh!!

Got the labour for free so only need to buy the paint im just unsure are to the colour. My initial choice was orange but dont know weather it would work with the stainless? or should stick with the black

If anyone has any other suggestions they will be much appriceated

Cheers

Paul

(car pics in archive and avatar)

StevieB - 21/10/06 at 01:29 PM

Go traditional - BRG arches, yellow nose. Timeless

rayward - 21/10/06 at 01:38 PM

yellow would work well with the stainless.

Ray

stevec - 21/10/06 at 03:08 PM

BRG For me too.
Steve.

robertst - 21/10/06 at 03:22 PM

a while ago i messed around with photoshop to decide on the colour

hope these help u decide.

i got the pic from google..sorry if its someones...

my favourite: Red with silver:
testing for colours RED
testing for colours RED

BRG and Yellow cone:
testing for colours BRG
testing for colours BRG

Orange with black:
testing for colours ORANGE
testing for colours ORANGE

Blue with white/silver stripes:
Testing for colours BLUE
Testing for colours BLUE

Pdlewis - 21/10/06 at 03:49 PM

What colour did you go for? the blue looks sweet

JackNco - 21/10/06 at 04:53 PM

Tom the picture belongs to Westfield. used to be on there gallery but its gone. but im sure they wouldn't mind u using it as its basically advertising!

and sticking to the thread
Black n stainless always looks good. as does yellow and black trim with stainless.

But if u have free labor y not shell out a bit n get a nice metallic colour or even pearlessent?

John

JackNco - 21/10/06 at 04:56 PM

oh and if u go stripes, dont do straight stripes, they look to thin, most cars that have stripes on actually get thicker towards the middle of the car!

have a look some cars look just right and some look like the stripes look off some how but you wont be able to place why. about a quarter of an inch thicker at the back of the bonnet and it looks all the better

John

robertst - 21/10/06 at 05:06 PM

i decided on the red with silver stripe looks great..

i have to admit i also decided on this colour upon seeing a C****ham ad it just looked beautiful...

didnt think about the stripe width though... i'll take a look... thanks for the advice..

triumphdave - 21/10/06 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robertst
i decided on the red with silver stripe looks great..

i have to admit i also decided on this colour upon seeing a C****ham ad it just looked beautiful...

didnt think about the stripe width though... i'll take a look... thanks for the advice..

Does that mean you are going to paint the stainless know?

StevieB - 21/10/06 at 06:43 PM

I once saw a Caterham that had the ali body with metallic red wings and nose - a sort of oxblood colour. Looked really special and when I get my Caterham one day (I don't care what anyone says - I'm getting one!) it will be a coin toss between that and BRG/yellow

JackNco - 21/10/06 at 06:46 PM

i never got the apeal of Caterham. they are the most plaine looking 7s, and surely the metal mody slows them down a bit? plus if u budget that much why not get a nice westy n spend the excese on engine mods?

StevenB - 21/10/06 at 06:52 PM

I picked mine from here. I changed my mind about 5 times after seeing the RAL chart.

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colourchart.asp?pType=&pFinish=

Hope the address works ok.

s

StevieB - 21/10/06 at 06:56 PM

The Caterham had better proportions IMO, and a lower line than the rest. The simplicity is exactly as Colin Chapman designed it - fast because it's minnimalist and not fussy.

Westy's look fat to me - the fold along the bonnet side, taller at the bonnet than a Caterham, longer, too much fuss.

I'm a purist.

In all honesty, I'll probably try to do the next car as a locost, but modify the design to try and mimic the Caterham proportions.

And as much as I like the BEC side of things, somehow having a crossflow running proper carbs is appealing.

I can't explain why without a long discussion though.

JackNco - 21/10/06 at 06:57 PM

thats exactly why i like the westfield i looks more chunky and complicated

miserableoldgit - 21/10/06 at 11:34 PM

Be a Devil and go for an original.

Barbie Pink

02GF74 - 23/10/06 at 09:34 AM

I'd stick to black or have you consider 2 tone flip paint (e.g. orange/green)

What about a metllic bronze colour?