Board logo

Painting Rocker Covers
mad4x4 - 14/10/03 at 01:27 PM

Anyone know where I can buy a painted (powdercoated) or polished rocker cover.

Or if cheaper send my rocker cover to get finished?

Suggestions on a postcard to ......

nick205 - 14/10/03 at 01:36 PM

mad4x4

http://www.burtonpower.com AND http://www.vulcanengines.com/ both do some polished alloy and painted rocker covers at a price.

HTH

Cheers

Nick

ned - 14/10/03 at 01:40 PM

i saw someone on a hot hatch forum who could powder coat for about £40 if you post the cover to him.

Can find details if you like..

Ned.

Jon Ison - 14/10/03 at 05:24 PM

£1.99 can pf spray paint does a fine job.......................

stephen_gusterson - 14/10/03 at 05:40 PM

yeah, i went for it with plasticoat from halfroads. looks great after a year or so, but its never been outa the garage yet!

atb

steve

Jon Ison - 14/10/03 at 05:48 PM

well iv'e done several that way, never had paint probs due to heat, anyone who saw the green rocker cover in the blade with gold metalic blown over it commented on how good it looked, even after 2 years of use.......

givemethebighammer - 14/10/03 at 07:33 PM

took my zetec cover to the local powder coating people after giving a thorough degrease and clean. Nice (IMO) yellow coating £20

Ben_Copeland - 14/10/03 at 08:53 PM

I do them.......... did mine in a Flip Colour.

In fact, done several in flip colours, Met Gun Grey with Blue Flip was best

Sun catches it and it's blue, otherwise its whity silver.

Painted in 2 pack, resists oil/petrol/road dirt, etc

Ben_Copeland - 14/10/03 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
£1.99 can pf spray paint does a fine job.......................

get petrol on it, it wont

Had several mates do that.... didn't last long

ned - 15/10/03 at 08:55 AM

i know where to get mine done now then

Ned.

Ben_Copeland - 15/10/03 at 08:57 AM

yep... pop down anytime mate I got spare cam covers

flyingkiwi - 15/10/03 at 06:42 PM

how much? and can you do intake manifolds?

Cheers
Chris

Ben_Copeland - 15/10/03 at 07:21 PM

I only got Vauxhall 2.0XE cam covers !

Not sure why you'd want an inlet manifold done.... wouldn't you sooner have that shiny metal ?

it's about £45-50 for the flip paint, depending on what colour you want.
ess for normal colours

Jon Ison - 15/10/03 at 07:26 PM

"get petrol on it it wont ???"

how come paint stays on cars round the filler cap area ????

just a thought ????

Ben_Copeland - 15/10/03 at 07:29 PM

Cos real car paint isn't the crappy £1.99 bodge it spray cans, you get in Motor Factors.

Jon Ison - 15/10/03 at 07:39 PM

ok point taken, all the fuel spills i ever had including the one where the fuel pipe went round the prop and filled the engine bay must have missed the rocker cover.......... i did laquar over it mind you.

Ben_Copeland - 15/10/03 at 07:44 PM

Lacquer does help a bit..... plus if it hits a hot engine, then it's likely to evaporate off before doing any damage. (apart from the fire risk lol)

flyingkiwi - 15/10/03 at 07:50 PM

more for the missus car, she has a thing about purple, and as the manifold sit's on top of the engine it's right in veiw, as for nice and shinny, too many people have that done, want to be a bit individual

Ben_Copeland - 15/10/03 at 07:54 PM

Whats engine is it ?

If you want to send the cover and inlet to me... i can paint it, and send it back.

Up to u

flyingkiwi - 15/10/03 at 08:11 PM

2ltr v6 from a mitsi FTO, Will have to find a spare manifold for the mean time, but shouldn't be a prob.

Will get back to you on that one

ned - 16/10/03 at 09:01 AM

Ben,

How much for a straight solid colour powder coat, no flip?

ps i'm gonna modify my cam cover anyway so i'd need to give it to you/drop it down to do...

I'm thinking red, same colour as spark plug cover, will hopefully match my anodised vernier pulleys too then...

Ned.

mad4x4 - 16/10/03 at 10:49 AM

Got to ask .....

What is "FLIP" paint? A Brand?

ned - 16/10/03 at 11:19 AM

A flip paint is one that changes colour when in the sunlight, tvr tuscans often have this. they look like they change colour as they go past or catch the sun...

Ned.

merkurman - 16/10/03 at 08:30 PM

like a pearl? or like a Kamelion? is the flip coat mostly clear

nick

JoelP - 16/10/03 at 08:36 PM

pearl is distinct to flip. flip can be many colours, changes with direction. pearl is more an effect in one colour, or similar colours. My pal is a sprayer, he says it depends on which direction it is sprayed from - he tried touching up a door in flip and the colours were the wrong way round!

nissan did a flip job as standard on some primeras, maybe micras. Sort of sunset through green. very nice really.

[Edited on 16/10/03 by JoelP]

Mark Allanson - 16/10/03 at 09:26 PM

I would have thought the cheapest way to go would be to leave your prepared rocker at a bodyshop telling the what colour you want it. When they get a car in of the right colour it would cost them very little to flash it over at the same time. It may take a while to get the exact colour you want, but if you want just matallic green and to Audi LC6P, them it would probably be done in a coupe of days.

stephen_gusterson - 16/10/03 at 09:51 PM

the nissans I saw are shyte. Crappy purple to a crappy green.....yuck

atb

steve

ned - 17/10/03 at 09:11 AM

there's a micra near me that goes from bronzy orange to pinky purple, YUCK!

Ned.

James - 17/10/03 at 10:10 AM

But what about that bronze flip paint TVR Tuscan!
That's the colour my Tuscan's gonna be!

James