Board logo

Changing ECU
BKLOCO - 15/6/07 at 12:24 PM

I am at present running my 2.0L Zetec on Megasquirt. Although I am fairly happy with the way the install and tuning process has gone over the last year there are issues...

One of these issues is the reluctance of rolling road services in my local area to get involved with Megasquirt.

After my track time at Brands a couple of weeks ago It became apparent that there was more power to be gained from my engine.

Due to the fact that I kind of feel that I have reached the point where home tuning of the Megasquirt is peeking out I am thinking of changing the ECU.

Don't misunderstand me I have been very happy with the MS and building it from scratch, installing and tuning it has taught me enormous amounts about fuel injection and engine management.

What I would like is any positive, or negative comments, on the various units people have fitted. Including value for money and ease/difficulty of tuning on the dyno.
At the moment I'm considering either: Emerald, Omex, or MBE.

Brian

rusty nuts - 15/6/07 at 12:35 PM

I have an Emerald in mine , easy to fit and wire up , If you tell them what sort of engine etc they will install a map to get you going . Fueling is fairly easy to sort out . Having mine set up in July on their rolling road .So far I'm happy with it

garage19 - 15/6/07 at 01:54 PM

Brian,

Whats the spec of your engine? I'm pretty good with zetecs so should be able to tell you what sort of bhp you should be looking at.

I wouldn't botther shelling out the extra money on another ECU. XX degrees of advance and XX ms of injector duration @ 6000rpm and 100% throttle (if alpha n) will be the same on any ECU.

Tuning for drivability can sometimes be effected by ECU type but rarely power out put. Thats usually the engine set up and the figures in the main ECU maps.

How have you been mapping it? Do you have a wideband? Mapping on your own can be pretty tricky. If you want a hand you are welcome to pop over to my workshop as i'm only round the corner. I'm fairly good with MS and would be happy to cast any eye over it.

Give me a bell on 07886005962

Doug.

Krismc - 18/6/07 at 04:49 PM

im thinking about a emerald, as im having no joy with the MS ecu either, i have a fault and no one seems to be of help, and also i can get it rolling roaded anywhere like you say!!

what sort of price have you been quoted??

i aint had a price back yet!

BKLOCO - 18/6/07 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

what sort of price have you been quoted??

i aint had a price back yet!

This is the Emerald site prices