Board logo

Parts help - Dizzy and some other bits..
j3w3ll3r - 3/5/11 at 07:55 PM

Hi chaps,

I've been asked if my distributor has a contact breaker - to tell you the truth i don't have a clue what i'm looking for or if it does or not?

Second question is how can i tell if it's a 12v negative or positive earth?

And last but not least, i've found a few items on the car that i don't know what they are, the dizzy is connected to the engine and what i beleive is the coil - it has the following numbers on it, Boshe 0 334 803 125-625 - also connected to this is an end which looks like a hammer head that has Siemens 5WK 6 135 (or 185).. - just wondering what that could be.?

Some pics of the dizzy here www.tripkings.co.uk/westfield

Many thanks in advance...

[Edited on 3/5/11 by j3w3ll3r]

Davg - 3/5/11 at 08:04 PM

Electronic distributor mate ie no points. & neg earth
cheers D

sky12042 - 3/5/11 at 09:48 PM

in the pics the thing that you says looks like a hammer head, which is under the distributer cap is the rotor which sends the spark to each plug, have a look on this site if not sure what you talking about
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm
you have a modern system without points its all controled by a little silver box under the dash which is what that other wire by the side of the dizzy attaches too.

Andy

[Edited on 3/5/11 by sky12042]

j3w3ll3r - 4/5/11 at 08:20 PM

Thanks chaps.. that explains quite a bit - sorry, i'm a bit of a novice to this..

Would that mean that i have an ECU on the car? I've not managed to find one anywhere.. I've looked everywhere i can think off..

Davg - 4/5/11 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by j3w3ll3r
Thanks chaps.. that explains quite a bit - sorry, i'm a bit of a novice to this..

Would that mean that i have an ECU on the car? I've not managed to find one anywhere.. I've looked everywhere i can think off..

As said above by Sky will be a silver or black box slightly bigger than fag packet prob under the dash. Megajolt system or similar not an ECU as such.

cheers
D

j3w3ll3r - 5/5/11 at 11:04 AM

Thanks for all your help chaps..

Not located the box as yet - but i'm going to take a good look about on sat and take some pics.. Just trying to work out what on earth is on the car..

Going to do the brakes as well if i can find out what pads we have..

Thanks again.