Board logo

Insurance shock
woodsy - 28/9/14 at 04:03 AM

I've just bought my first BEC..........an MK Indy with a Busa engine.
When i first started looking it was with cars with the older 918 Blade motors,so got some quotes from various companies and was pleased with the low figures i was getting.
What a surprise when i changed that to a Busa motor.Tried all the companies suggested on here and the only one that would insure me was Adrain Flux.
I'm 46 yrs old,7 years NCB in a car and 12 years NCB on a motorbike.As soon as i said it had a 1300cc bike engine they all panicked and basically said that this was too powerful for my first kit car...even after i pointed out that my previous cars included Nissan Skylines and Mitsubushi GTO's and i'd had 2 turbo charged bikes on the road(one made 550bhp!!),it made no difference.
Thank god for Adrian Flux who came to my rescue

CosKev3 - 28/9/14 at 08:30 AM

Nightmare.

Surprising considering your age and history of powerfull vehicles!

How much has it cost you in the end?

motorcycle_mayhem - 28/9/14 at 11:19 AM

I'm older than you, with more NCB on bikes and cars, and have owned a MegaBusa in the past.

I had refusals from many, outrageous quotes from others, etc., for my 'new' toy, a R1 middy.

Clearly BEC's aren't too hot in the risk assessment area for the Companies.

twybrow - 28/9/14 at 11:41 AM

I am 33 and my ZX12 powered car costa me £145 per year on a 3k mileage basis. That is via 2Gether Insurance... I have never had any issues getting reasonable prices...

woodsy - 28/9/14 at 01:27 PM

I ended up paying £ 350 in the end.

CosKev3 - 28/9/14 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woodsy
I ended up paying £ 350 in the end.

sounds a lot going by what my m8 has paid for his Bec's, he's had a zx9 and two R1 powered Indys and none of them have been over £200.

woodsy - 28/9/14 at 06:02 PM

Probably down to the fact that i live in Walsall.............the cess pit of the West Mids haha

owelly - 28/9/14 at 06:06 PM

3ltr kit car. No NCB that I can use. No claims or endorsements. 42 years old YO22 postcode. Fully comp £113 with 2gether.

CosKev3 - 28/9/14 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Probably down to the fact that i live in Walsall.............the cess pit of the West Mids haha

ha ha, the whole west mids is a cess pit imo!!!!!!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX - 4/10/14 at 09:18 PM

quote:
I've just bought my first BEC..........an MK Indy with a Busa engine.
When i first started looking it was with cars with the older 918 Blade motors,so got some quotes from various companies and was pleased with the low figures i was getting.
What a surprise when i changed that to a Busa motor.Tried all the companies suggested on here and the only one that would insure me was Adrain Flux.
I'm 46 yrs old,7 years NCB in a car and 12 years NCB on a motorbike.As soon as i said it had a 1300cc bike engine they all panicked and basically said that this was too powerful for my first kit car...even after i pointed out that my previous cars included Nissan Skylines and Mitsubushi GTO's and i'd had 2 turbo charged bikes on the road(one made 550bhp!!),it made no difference.
Thank god for Adrian Flux who came to my rescue

Hi,
Glad we could help out.
Regards,
Dan.

coozer - 5/10/14 at 10:52 AM

quote:

There's me driving through Walsall thinking 'few, its nice here, glad I didn't have to stop on the A41 Holyhead Road back there'