Board logo

paper mache
AndyW - 1/3/11 at 06:39 PM

Odd request I know but bear with me. I attempted to make paper mache models for my daughter. I used a home made locost glue. Water and flour. it did work but took ages to dry and is very fragile. Now, I picked her up from pre-school today and she asked me if her model hot air balloon was ready. I have not got any wall paper paste so I told her I would try and finish it tonight ready for her to paint tomorrow.

So, can anyone offer some advice as to a locost option that will set hard and fairly fast. i need to use something that maybe lying around the house or in the shed. What can I use??

Answers below please.

Slater - 1/3/11 at 06:45 PM

yes flour and water mix for the glue is correct. My advice would be to put it in the airing cupboard to dry it quicker.

I had to make a paper mache ladybird recently and used a cycle helmit as a mould.

blakep82 - 1/3/11 at 06:45 PM

PVA glue is what they use on blue peter!
think its the same as wood glue?

cliftyhanger - 1/3/11 at 07:16 PM

yes, more of less. Dilute a little with water and off you go.
Always found wallpaper paste is the best though, go scrounging off the neighbours, somebody is bound to have some

jacko - 1/3/11 at 07:43 PM

PVA / wood glue watered down then use blue paper hand towels riped in strips my daughter does this quite often
Jacko

Confused but excited. - 1/3/11 at 09:51 PM

Too late now but emergency paper glue; egg white.

bimbleuk - 2/3/11 at 08:06 AM

I used just flour and water for a snow man pinata over Christmas and my niece and nephew needed a fair few hits with a stick before it broke so I think layers are the key as I did at least 3 layers using long thin strips over lapped. You do need to leave plenty of time though as I let each layer dry over night.

indykid - 2/3/11 at 10:34 AM

polyester resin and surface tissue?

woodster - 2/3/11 at 10:52 AM

you can get 5min PVA great for last minute homework

DarrenW - 2/3/11 at 03:44 PM

Why not cheat with a fibreglassing kit from Halfords and cover that with papier mache so it looks the part?