Board logo

untitled...
robertst - 6/8/06 at 08:05 PM

didnt really know how to name this thread, but i just have had the most stressful week so far!

it all started when, apparently, two knobheads trying to steal a bank sabotaged the town's entire telephone network to disable the alarms or whatnot and i have been left without internet or telephone for three weeks now. just today i got my connection back and i am at the most crucial part of my build!

had many problems with the FU tubes and the rear de-dion axle and had no other way of solving these issues than get creative, so i will be posting like a freak soon to catch up with my build.

basically, my local steel supplier has gone on vacation and all i have is an 80mm tube for the hub carrier, which i have enlargened to 100mm and a lot of 1.5mm steel sheet for the suspension mountings, which i know is far from useful, but i think using 3mm strips to strengthen them might be a solution....

anyways. another problem was the PU bushes as i have found out i dont have the little steel tubes that go in between the bush and the bolt... so i had to go look for triumph herald metalastic type bushes which were too big, so i trimmed them to fit on the wishbones. then theres the bracket problem... i have found out that strips of 30mmx4mm would do the job and just do the brakets out of that as the 50x50tube i have is no longer useful.

i can go on and on so i better stop the rant now or this thread will become a really good sleep inducer.

my main worry now is the position of the FU tubes and the brakets itself....

oh and one big question.... does the bolt have to be a tight fit into the bush? i mean, the GAZ shocks i got have a 13mm hole and the holes in the wishbone are 12mm.. furthermore, the wishbone braket is far too wide!
can i just put washers to cover the gap or is there another solution?

again, loads of accumulated problems to solve and i hope i can get this finished by the end of this week. (the rolling chassis that is)...

cheers
great being here again
tom

DIY Si - 6/8/06 at 08:11 PM

As for the brackets don't use 1.5mm, it's too thin to be much use. I'd wait until you can get soemthing better, such as 30/35mm x 3mm strip. Or some suitable box if you can find some. It's best to place the FU's when you have everything ready, it'll save agro later on.

robertst - 6/8/06 at 08:33 PM

quote:

Are you sure the GAZ shocks are 13mm?

yeah, fitted a 12mm bolt and it had a bit of play, in other words, it rattled ...
a 13mm one would fit ok... but my local hardware store guy says 13mm are tough to find, if not impossible...

just realized 1/2" is 12.7mm... surely a 12.7mm bolt is too much to ask for!

Danozeman - 6/8/06 at 08:38 PM

Alot of shock bushes are 1/2 inch. U can either drill your brackets to 1/2 and use 1/2 inch bolts or get some 12mm bush tubes which is probably easiest.

miserableoldgit - 6/8/06 at 09:27 PM

Try asking for a 1/2" UNF of the length you want, sounds like that bit is made in Christian units (Imperial).

roadboy - 7/8/06 at 08:59 AM

You need 1/2'' unf nuts & bolts as the shock eyes are 1/2'' ie 12.7mm, 12mm bolts will rattle
HTH
Ian

James - 7/8/06 at 10:37 AM

Tom,

For the FU and bracket positioning wait until you have your wishbones done.

Look in my photo archive at my bracket jigs. If you do it this way you can't fail to get the FUs and brackets in the right place.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 7/8/06 by James]