Board logo

looking for an inline thermostat? and flow restriction Q
tony-devon - 12/3/12 at 09:38 AM

Hi, all, I figured that if anyone would know, then someone on here most probably would

I have a bike engine in my build, but the manufacturers in their wisdon put the thermostat right up on top, stood a mile above the cam cover and was in the way of my proposed frame tubing

so I removed it

however now Im thinking that maybe I should look for an alternative thermostat, is there such a thing as maybe one that goes inline somewhere?

and do thermostats restrict flow at all even when they are fully open?

someone mentioned that as I have removed mine, they reckon the coolant could be circulating too quickly and not actually cooling?

thanks

Tony

Myke 2463 - 12/3/12 at 11:56 AM

I have noted from somewhere that Rover SD1 unit QTH 234 used to be a favourite, might be too big for your hoses

MikeRJ - 12/3/12 at 12:19 PM

Thermostats normally do provide some restriction even when open, and this can affect the flow of the water through the block and head. When removing the thermostat in e.g. a mini you have to fit a special collar to ensure the cylinders at the other end of the head don't overheat. Always best to have a thermostat.

The Rover thermostat is a PRT (Pressure Relief Thermostat) that opens not only under high temperature, but also under pressure which ensures you still have some coolant flow if the engine is revved hard when the thermostat is closed.

This is the one:

New Land Rover Freelander / Discovery thermostat | eBay

tony-devon - 12/3/12 at 12:37 PM

ok thanks, time to have a look into them and how they get plumbed in

Dingz - 12/3/12 at 01:13 PM

I have a brand new freelander one in a box if you are interested? it's the PRT type.