Board logo

Why does it run better without the battery??
BMF - 29/7/07 at 05:51 PM

Got an XE running dizzy and coil with a pair of 45's, but today when out today it back fired and then stalled and wouldn't start.

Realised the battery is crap, but also when running and I remove the negative, it runs better!

Any ideas?

On a similar vain, is it worth replacing the old cavalier coil for one of the high performance jobs?

Cheers, ben

BenB - 29/7/07 at 06:06 PM

The alternator will be robbing bhp to charge the battery... If you disconnect the battery the alternator will consume virtually zero BHP. After a while the battery should be fully charged and the power goes back to normal. If your batter is knackered, however, it'll be on full charge all the time....

rusty nuts - 29/7/07 at 06:11 PM

Running an engine with the alternator disconnect could damage the alternator. When you fit a new battery check the charging rate .Suspect the reason it runs better disconnected is as BenB suggests

BMF - 29/7/07 at 06:25 PM

So basically it is because the battery is buggered then?

owelly - 29/7/07 at 08:40 PM

I would concur about the knackered battery but I don't understand why running with no battery would wreck the alternator. If there is no power feeding the excitation, then surely the alternator is just a spinning bundle of nothingness??

RazMan - 29/7/07 at 09:57 PM

Disconnecting the battery while running the engine is likely to damage the alternator and even sensitive electrics like the ecu or electronic dash - you might even blow bulbs. The battery acts like a smoothing filter, taking the spikes out of the supply.

Owelly - I think the alternator would supply its own excitation while running anyway.

Ben - It sounds like your battery is fubar and the power is probably being converted to heat. Best get it replaced asap.

[Edited on 29-7-07 by RazMan]

MikeRJ - 29/7/07 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Disconnecting the battery while running the engine is likely to damage the alternator and even sensitive electrics like the ecu or electronic dash - you might even blow bulbs. The battery acts like a smoothing filter, taking the spikes out of the supply.

You get a situation known as "load dump". Due to the finite bandwidth of the voltage regulation, removing a heavy load from an alternator can cause voltage spikes several times the normal level, e.g. 50volts or more. Although automotve electronics are usualy built to survive this, it's a very bad idea to induce these spikes deliberately.