Board logo

Recommended me a knife sharpener please?
nick205 - 1/10/22 at 08:59 AM

Morning all,

Can anyone recommend me a good, effective, not mega-bucks knife sharpener please?

Home use for sharpening kitchen knives.

Thanks,
Nick

40inches - 1/10/22 at 09:55 AM

The best one I have ever used Amazon

jelly head - 1/10/22 at 02:19 PM

i also have one of the above, quick and easy to use, way less faff than an oil stone.

Slater - 1/10/22 at 06:07 PM

Agree with above, I've had one of these for 10 yrs, it works really well and quick and easy to use.

nick205 - 1/10/22 at 09:30 PM

Excellent - multiple recommendations for the same one.

Thank you!

nick205 - 2/10/22 at 06:54 AM

Purchased, should be here in a few days. Will report back on sharpening success. They're blunt as you like right now!

MikeR - 2/10/22 at 08:32 AM

I have an electric kitchen sharpener from Aldi. It's a little grind stone that has angled slots to get the knife at the right angle to the stone. Works well enough that I now ensure I remind the wife I've sharpened the knives so she doesn't cut herself. Got it years ago for a similar price. Probably double that now.

nick205 - 2/10/22 at 08:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I have an electric kitchen sharpener from Aldi. It's a little grind stone that has angled slots to get the knife at the right angle to the stone. Works well enough that I now ensure I remind the wife I've sharpened the knives so she doesn't cut herself. Got it years ago for a similar price. Probably double that now.

I do look at Aldi Special Buys now and again. Got a car tyre inflator for £1 a while back. Took a chance for a quid and it works well. SWMBO's car has no spare wheel so it's been used to get the car mobile again.

They do also sell some guff at times though. Our local branch is selling a variety of cordless power tools with no batteries. When I asked where the batteries where...didn't have any!

David Jenkins - 2/10/22 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
The best one I have ever used Amazon

We used to have one of those - it was brutal on our knives. We got rid of it...

Now I use something like this (but mine was made on my 3D printer)

About once a month I do all of my wife's kitchen knives (she has about 20!) and it takes me around 20 minutes.

nick205 - 2/10/22 at 02:16 PM

Thanks for the additional faadback David, I shall take care.

Keep in mind our kitchen knives have never been sharpened since new. Cutting veg and such is hard work when it out to be considerably easier (and more precise).

nick205 - 3/10/22 at 02:20 PM

Knife shapener arrived and tested with very impressive results. Dead easy to use and the knife's gone from blunt to damned sharp (possibly shaper than it was when new).

Thanks again for the recommendation!

any-sharp-nick205
any-sharp-nick205

number-1 - 3/10/22 at 04:55 PM

I didn't even need a knife sharpener until i saw this thread!!!!! Ive ordered one

I'll never need to buy new stanley blades again!!!!

nick205 - 4/10/22 at 07:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by number-1
I didn't even need a knife sharpener until i saw this thread!!!!! Ive ordered one

I'll never need to buy new stanley blades again!!!!

Often the way - you don't know you need something until it pops up in front of you and people tell you how good it is.

SWMBO has now tried a freshly "sharpened" knife and commented on the ease of use and clean and swift slice through some carrots

Better get busy and sharpen the others

David Jenkins - 4/10/22 at 07:57 AM

Don't do what my wife and I do a couple of times a year... cut ourselves with a freshly-sharpened knife! Mostly because our technique is poor, but mostly because the knife goes through a lot quicker than expected.

Now I always announce/emphasise to my wife that the knives are freshly sharpened, and to take care...

nick205 - 4/10/22 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Don't do what my wife and I do a couple of times a year... cut ourselves with a freshly-sharpened knife! Mostly because our technique is poor, but mostly because the knife goes through a lot quicker than expected.

Now I always announce/emphasise to my wife that the knives are freshly sharpened, and to take care...

Fair point - SWMBO was advised the knife had been sharpened for that very reason!

A sharper knife does cut much faster (as well as being nicer to use).

David Jenkins - 4/10/22 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

A blunt knife is way more dangerous than a sharp one - you push too hard, the food or the knife skids, and you end up stabbed. A truly sharp knife requires hardly any pressure and is so much easier to control.

Sanzomat - 4/10/22 at 01:08 PM

quote:
quote:
A blunt knife is way more dangerous than a sharp one

That takes me right back to woodwork classes in school. The teacher had a poster size framed quote on the wall saying " there is nothing more dangerous than a blunt tool" not sure where the quote came from but it was in quote marks so I always assumed it was lifted from somewhere. Of course might have been referring to some of the students...

coyoteboy - 4/10/22 at 03:16 PM

quote:
quote:

A blunt knife is way more dangerous than a sharp one - you push too hard, the food or the knife skids, and you end up stabbed. A truly sharp knife requires hardly any pressure and is so much easier to control.

Do you cut towards yourself?

David Jenkins - 4/10/22 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Do you cut towards yourself?

Try cutting an onion in half - you have to put fingers one side, thumb the other, and cut between. Absolutely no problem with a sharp knife, positively dangerous with a dull one. A dull knife requires the user to push too hard, leading to problems.

coyoteboy - 4/10/22 at 03:39 PM

Still not sure how you cut yourself in this action, as the point is pointing away.

I suppose it's possible you slip off the side, but then your blunt knife is less likely to cut you lol

nick205 - 5/10/22 at 07:29 AM

Take care slicing the onion, there's plenty of scope to slice the digits...

chef-slicing-onion
chef-slicing-onion

David Jenkins - 5/10/22 at 12:08 PM

Don't panic everyone! I have been taught how to use a kitchen knife...

nick205 - 5/10/22 at 02:04 PM

quote:
Don't panic everyone! I have been taught how to use a kitchen knife...

glad to hear it - big concern for your kitchen safety David!

David Jenkins - 5/10/22 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I suppose it's possible you slip off the side, but then your blunt knife is less likely to cut you lol

The problem arises when the knife is dull enough to slip but still sharp enough to cut fingers, especially when you're pushing down harder than you should be.

...I'm bored with this now...

JC - 6/10/22 at 04:32 AM

Gutted. Been following this site for soooo long. I was under the impression that the No.1 tool AKA angle grinder was used for everything….onions included.

May explain why my worktops are in such a state…..

nick205 - 7/10/22 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
Gutted. Been following this site for soooo long. I was under the impression that the No.1 tool AKA angle grinder was used for everything….onions included.

JC

1. Sharpen your knives with the angle grinder.
2. Use a poliching mop to resurface your worktops.

Problems solved and then you can get back to the car

MikeR - 7/10/22 at 10:59 AM

You mean you don't put Mr angry grinder in a stand when cutting onions, silly mistake. Put it in a stand, remove the guard and you can cut onions much quicker

indykid - 7/10/22 at 11:22 AM

Colin Furze teaches we should prepare our veg with a belt of knives.......and eat our desserts with a cake-o-matic

Hard to disagree when you think about it

James - 26/10/22 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by indykid
Colin Furze teaches we should prepare our veg with a belt of knives.......and eat our desserts with a cake-o-matic

Hard to disagree when you think about it

And that you should build bunkers and connecting tunnels under your garden!

Man's a genius!

SteveWalker - 26/10/22 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC

I have used an angle grinder to cut my worktop, does that count?

To be fair it was in offcut from when I had it installed and I wanted to make a matching kitchen clock - about 13" diameter, 30mm thick and made of granite. Probably the world's heaviest kitchen clock!