Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield SEW vs Locost
quinnj3

posted on 29/1/23 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield SEW vs Locost

Hi All,

I'm currently gathering up bits to put together an MX5 based Locost. The parts search is going well however in that search I've come across a Westfield SEW project car.

This car is a rolling chassis (without wheels) & body panels. No differential, gearbox or engine. It's not as 'Locost' as I'd like it to be but I see it as a bit of a shortcut with the potential of being worth considerably more than a locost when finished. It's likely to look better with 'properly' fitting fibreglass body and nicely proportioned styling (very subjective I know). This thing needs a full strip down and chassis repaint / powder coat. While doing that it needs a new dash and general fit out. I have full MX5 running gear and would like to use that. Hence this post. If I modified the SEW to be a MX5 based SEiW would that bring the value down to the same as a locost? If not is the English axle layout worth keeping?

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

Smokey mow

posted on 29/1/23 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I can’t answer your question on value but IMO a converted SEW chassis will never have the same value as one that left the factory as an SEIW. The chassis number will always give it away as being a mongrel.

Personally (and I actually did this myself on a Westfield SE 10 years ago) keep the live axle at the back, and then just fit the Mazda engine and box.

J666AYP

posted on 29/1/23 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Before I get shot... this is just my opinion...

Neither the locost or the westie will be worth a vast fortune, and I would take far more enjoyment building the car I want how I want it to be regardless of the end value.

I mean you can build a locost chassis for a couple of hundred quid, it would probably cost double than that just to get the westie chassis stripped and coated. Ultimately do you want a frankenstein westie thats not going to tick the boxes for the purists when its time to sell on or something to enjoy for what it is?

And as for the fit and finish, the effort you put in will be reflected in the build. Have seen some amazingly finished locosts and some complete dogs of westfields. Thats completely down to you, your budget, time and attention to detail.

Jay

nick205

posted on 30/1/23 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with J666AYP - build what you want the way you want it to be, for yourself.

I built an MK Indy a few years back. Personally I got as much (if not more) from building the car than I did the end result. Kept it and loved driving it for 3 years before selling it on.

IMHO - focus on enjoying the build and building to your best ability!

[Edited on 30/1/23 by nick205]

harmchar

posted on 30/1/23 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
You don’t say in the original post if the Westfield has previously been registered and on the road. That could be the thing that swings it in its favour as it would save you the headache of IVA.
quinnj3

posted on 30/1/23 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies so far. All very valid points. Nobody’s getting shot here 😄.

This may not come to anything as the seller has ignored my attempts to contact him anyway. If I do end up buying the westie I’ll be keeping it live axle and putting the mx5 engine and box in it. I don’t mind if I go down the locost route or this route as both are new projects to me. I like Westfield rout as I start with something that resembles a car. I still get to do a full build to my spec interior wise and use my chosen drive train.

I did a quick costing and, well, new steel is bloody expensive. A bare steel chassis built by me will see no change out of £400. Add aluminium panels for flat trim and grp cycle wings & nose cone and chassis + bodywork is a grand.

Theoretical resale is £4-6k for a locost which more or less equals anticipated build cost, over £8k for a westie which would leave a little equity. I’m happy for either option and believe I’d get as much enjoyment out of each one.

The car in question has never been registered or put through IVA apparently.

Prof_Cook

posted on 1/2/23 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Future resale registration number

Following the build - Will either option result in an age related registration number, or will you be restricted to a Q plate?
quinnj3

posted on 1/2/23 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Q plate for both as my MX5 donor was supposed to have a 1.6 engine however I’ve subsequently found out it’s a 1.8 with uprated LSD to boot.
Deckman001

posted on 2/2/23 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, to help with the Q plate issue, how about registering the engine change on the donor vehicle ?

Jason

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.