New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Oops.
hobzy

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
well I think it's very brave of you to show that first picture.

if your local bobby is looking for the person who was driving carelessly and who damaged the farmers hedge and he sees that pic, he will be very happy... evidence of driving with undue care and attention I think M'lud.

Just in my humble opinion of course - glad you are ok it could have been much worse.

I would think if he did this 40 yds out of his village then a photo on Locostbuilders.co.uk is the least of his worries...

I'm sure he will have spoken to the landowner already anyway. If not then it might be an idea.

Also, no reason to think he was being reckless. Sometimes an accident is just an accident. I'm sure the police are too busy trying to figure out how to spend their much reduced budget.

[Edited on 23/8/2010 by craig1410]

Its a horse paddock and a gentleman mucking out offered to help. I've been back since but there was no one there. I go past everyday so when I see someone I was planning to find out who the landowner was and offer to help repair the damage - the horses cant escape as I didn't go all the way through and the fencing is well buried within the hedge and mostly broken up anyway.

As for DC and A, it would be an interesting case, as I was doing just over half the limit on a straight road in the wet. The same constabulary didn't see fit to do anything about the lorry driver that decided to leave his illegally parked place and drive over the front of my stationary tintop, so it would be an interesting conversation...

The car is reasonably well known in the village and everyone knows I drive quietly and calmly on my way in/out.

Ironically the scamera crew were out in the village later that day...

LBMEFM

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Did the same on the A2-M2 slip road in the wet, luckily I missed everything. You feel so so stupid. Not too much damage for you, good luck with the chassis check.
hobzy

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
Originally posted by kevmcdo
Double ouch

Main thing is you are ok, the hedge will grow back in time.

Possible time to think of some winter upgrades.....

A track day might be better

Funnily enough I was in the process of booking a training day with MSE...

It'll have to wait now

nitram38

posted on 23/8/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear you had an accident

I know you don't want to hear this, but your comment "Seen numerous commments about the way the front doesnt have enough camber /self centring etc. Is now a chance to sort this out and if so whats the best way to go about it?", does seem a bit strange.

Was this part of the cause of losing control?
If so, this should hi-light to everybody how thinking of self centring as an after thought is not wise.
I still can't beleive that this is still an issue on manufactured cars

Bluemoon

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

I know you don't want to hear this, but your comment "Seen numerous commments about the way the front doesnt have enough camber /self centring etc. Is now a chance to sort this out and if so whats the best way to go about it?", does seem a bit strange.

If so, this should hi-light to everybody how thinking of self centring as an after thought is not wise.

I would doubt lack of caster had anything to do with it. The looks to me like the rear end let go on the manhole cover.. I would expect hands where on the wheel at the time as well..

But if your getting new bones it would be a time to fix the caster issue.

Good luck with the re-build hope the chassis is as straight as it looks in the photos.

Dan

[Edited on 24/8/10 by Bluemoon]

hobzy

posted on 24/8/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

I would doubt lack of caster had anything to do with it. The looks to me like the rear end let go on the manhole cover.. I would expect hands where on the wheel at the time as well..

But if your getting new bones it would be a time to fix the caster issue.

Good luck with the re-build hope the chassis is as straight as it looks in the photos.

Dan

[Edited on 24/8/10 by Bluemoon]

Precisely my thoughts. It wasn't an issue in the spin - driver error was, but as you say, if I have to get new bones then 3 years on here seem to indicate it makes sense to sort it out. Clearly money wise I would love to just replace the damaged lower wishbone, but after all, if its going to improve known issues why not do it now?

As I didn't build the car, I am learning each time something is replaced or fettled and am rather enjoying it! Rich did a fantastic job with the original build but there are always improvements to be made when not limited to the original build budget. Don't tell the missus though or she'll think I span it on purpose

hobzy

posted on 24/8/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Checked top bone just now too - think the shapes in the pic are water or mud as there's not a ripple or mark on it in the flesh.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a REALLY good look at where the wishbone tubes are welded to the bush tubes, and at the bush tubes themselves.

It's not unknown for them to break there, and yours have just had a hard bump...

I think you were lucky to get away with such little damage, all things considered!

Bluemoon

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Have a REALLY good look at where the wishbone tubes are welded to the bush tubes, and at the bush tubes themselves.

Yep agree, once you have them off it will be easy enough.. Remeber that there black (and so will the cracks be!) so you will have to look very carefully around and about the welds..

hobzy

posted on 24/8/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Will do chaps - ta for the advice. Will get it all checked by a pro as well - Southways Automotive is just down the road and they'll hopefully take a look at the chassis for me when its rolling again.

leemarkadams

posted on 19/11/10 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hobzy, any updates????
hobzy

posted on 20/11/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Shes hidden away in the garage at the moment - works been mental and I just haven't had time to sort her out.

spdpug98

posted on 20/11/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobzy
Shes hidden away in the garage at the moment - works been mental and I just haven't had time to sort her out.

How you doing...far too long since we last caught up!

I am still more than happy to pop round and give you a hand if needed, even if you end up sorting it in the new year

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

hobzy

posted on 20/11/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers matey. Will keep you posted.

mkben.21

posted on 24/11/10 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hey, I'm Sorry to see this has happened to somebody else. I crashed mine last month but unfortunately didn't get away with as little damage. plus i had to pay £300 for the fence repair. so gutted . the question i'd like some help with is; the chassis has bent inwards a little at the upper wishbone mount. I didn't build the car but i'm resonablely handy. Can anyone advise on the best course of action to straighten out the chassis?
Thank you
Ben

brookie

posted on 24/11/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
u will be best to put some photo up m8 leyt have a look at it
mkben.21

posted on 25/1/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well i have got round to sorting this project out now and have taken some photos.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/landie_r/MK%20Indy/

Hope that works!! :S

[Edited on 25/1/11 by mkben.21]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.