Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: converting 3 phase (again)
David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I agree - I have loads of designs for phase converters, and a fair bit of electrical knowledge - but I still bought a Transwave converter for my lathe.

Too many amps and volts to piddle around with an amateur-built piece of kit - we're talking about stuff going bang or catching fire if you get it wrong, not just a blown fuse. And, before everyone calls me a wimp, I know that many people have built and run converters in the past... but I prefer the reliability, safety and good design of a professional unit, even if it did cost twice as much as the lathe!

The replacement single-phase motor is by far the safest and easiest option, and for home use the slight loss of power is totally unimportant.

cheers,
David

[Edited on 27/6/06 by David Jenkins]

Confused but excited.

posted on 27/6/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Joking apart Ned. If you are going to take any advice off here, listen to BKLoco and David Jenkins. 400v+ is VERY unforgiving!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

ned

posted on 27/6/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
If i were to get this motor to a workable state it wouldnt' be using 400v!

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BKLOCO

posted on 27/6/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ned.
Capacitor generated approximations of 3 phase are cr@p!!!
You will not run a 3phase 415v motor properly on 240v no matter how you configure it.

For a pillar drill with a 1/2" chuck and No. 2 morse taper 1/2hp single phase is more than good enough.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Wadders

posted on 27/6/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Bkloco but i dispute your first statement, both my lathe and pillar drill run fine from a home made rotary converter. Although if you mean capacitor only, with no second motor, then yes i'd agree.
Your spot on with the second bit, especially with belt drive, as belt slip will be a problem long before the motor runs out of breath.
Al

Originally posted by BKLOCO
Ned.
Capacitor generated approximations of 3 phase are cr@p!!!
You will not run a 3phase 415v motor properly on 240v no matter how you configure it.

For a pillar drill with a 1/2" chuck and No. 2 morse taper 1/2hp single phase is more than good enough.

BKLOCO

posted on 27/6/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Sorry Bkloco but i dispute your first statement, both my lathe and pillar drill run fine from a home made rotary converter. Although if you mean capacitor only, with no second motor, then yes i'd agree.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Rotory convertors do work up to a point, but the cost in this case is likely to be more than buying a second hand single phase motor, and will certainly be more hassle.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

ned

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
ok been out and had another look at the wiring of the 3 phase motor and think i'm not going to bother with it as i can't get access to check the colours of wires without removing hte bolts which sleeve through the whole body of the motor so removing htem i have to completely disassemble the motor body and presumably bearing and spindle assemble will then become fully floating and loose?!

any tips on where to find a second hand motor appreciated. not being a snob but I never go to car boots and i'd be suprised if a motor to suit exactly would be there ie single phase 240v 1400rpm 1/3-1/2hp, 15mm spindle, 5 3/8" foot spaced mounts

new motors seem to be about £45-60 +post on ebay.

presumably i'd also need a new switch and preumably its worth fitting an nvr on/off switch? something like this?:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/5/product-Axminster-Light-Duty-NVR-Switch-21280.htm

cheers,

Ned.

[Edited on 27/6/06 by ned]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 27/6/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
You dont need a a contactor for a third horse motor Ned but the original switch on the drill must have used a contactor with it being 3 phase, use two of the terminals on the contactor and switch live and neutral.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

David Jenkins

posted on 28/6/06 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
any tips on where to find a second hand motor appreciated. not being a snob but I never go to car boots and i'd be suprised if a motor to suit exactly would be there ie single phase 240v 1400rpm 1/3-1/2hp, 15mm spindle, 5 3/8" foot spaced mounts

As mentioned earlier - see if there's a motor rewinder in your town (many towns have them). - try Yell.com Take your old motor so that he can match up the fittings. They may well have a few old motors knocking around - scruffy but functional. Worth a look, anyway.

David

ned

posted on 28/6/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
local rewinders want 2-3 times the cost of the drill for a new motor and they never have second hand single phase ones in apparantly

splitrivet

posted on 28/6/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Wont they do a swap with a few quid incentive.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

PaulBuz

posted on 28/6/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
BKloco
I agree with you 100% about not being able to run a 415v on 240v. Torque would be useless.
.........However, Neds motor os configured to run at 240v in delta.(see nameplate)
this makes a big difference, although as has already been said , it won't have the torque of a dedicated single phase motor.
(20% less torque,vastly reduced starting torque.

ATB
Paul

David Jenkins

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
local rewinders want 2-3 times the cost of the drill for a new motor and they never have second hand single phase ones in apparantly

Miserable beggars - they just want to sell you the new one!

See if there's another rewinder around (look for the scruffy back-street type of place). I used to visit one in Colchester (no longer there, I believe) who was always happy to help out - as long as you did actually spend some money in the end. I bought a second-hand motor for around £10 - £15, various bearings and pulleys, and a starter capacitor.

There aren't any local places that overhaul machine tools, are there? Or is Guildford too posh!

David

ned

posted on 29/6/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
i think guildford is too posh . the local place where i had my chassis blasted and powder coated has closed - the porsche garage has extended and they've built a new travelodge the nearest motor rewinders wasn't even in guildford anyway and guildford isn't exactly small!

wheelfelloff

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ned

Post a wanted ad on this site:

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

It seems to be a very successful site and is read by the sort of people likely to have a single phase motor under their bench.

regards

Keith

ned

posted on 29/6/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith, have submitted an ad..

Ned.

ned

posted on 13/7/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Well,

Finally sourced a replacement single phase ,motor and got the thing running last night, now all i need to do is figure out the 6 position switch or buy a nvr switch rather than continue with the 'plug in and go' setup they i tested it with through an oven wiring connector and some 2.5mm mains twin + earth with a plug on!

Ned.

[Edited on 13/7/06 by ned]

NS Dev

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
do you mean 6 terminal switch?

If so, dead easy, 3 phase 3 in 3 out, you just use 2 in 2 out and leave 2 spare.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
oops yes i did mean 6 terminal switch, but think i'll just get a new switch as the old one fits inside the drill head casting and is a PITA to wire/get out and in trying to remove it I snapped part of the rotary knob bit anyway as I didn't spot a small grub screw securing it, thought it was just a pull off that was a bit gunked up

ho hum.

Ned.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.