Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The MK Indy
greggors84

posted on 30/12/06 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Once you have completed your Degree you'll be moving abroad then. That's where most (read: all) Automotive is heading... Good Luck with it.

Steve

If you stick with motorsport the UK is probably the best place to be. But its not the easiest industry to get a job in (understatement of the year) but a good percentage of people I know graduating last year have jobs in motorsport if not F1 so it can happen. Experience is the key, get yourself some experience with a race team, then using that get some experience in a design office or R&D. By the time you graduate you will have a good chance of landing one.

Now back to the Indy....

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mark_mcd

posted on 30/12/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
whats harder to build in peoples opinion? bec or cec?
zxrlocost

posted on 30/12/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
neither

apart from if your in good shape you can pick the bike engine up yourself

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

TimC

posted on 31/12/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Having had a road registered BEC, I just wouldn't do it again - I'd have something that I could drive to Le Mans and the Nurburgring without going def and getting tinitus.

However, for track days, the BEC takes some beating (I'd suggest that you'd have to spend a LOT on a CEC to stay with most BECs.) Hence, I'm building a BEC track-car.

zxrlocost

posted on 31/12/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
see this is where it gets confusing for him Id buzz of driving my old car like I did every day
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mark_mcd

posted on 31/12/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
well the performance of the bike engined cars look awesome and i love the idea of the engine being easier to fit. the only thing that would hold me back is cost really. the car would just be used for the occasional blast on some b roads.

what sort of performance does a pinto engine give you? rough 0-60, etc? how much roughly would each car and bike engine weigh kerb weight. i presume either would be a good bit faster than my dads skoda octavia vrs? i appreciate speed isn't everything.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 31/12/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a chipped octy vrs. Pinto a bit faster, based on a robin hood a mates got, bike engine lots faster!!!
zxrlocost

posted on 31/12/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my car for the reason of our shite weather 10k sitting in the garage was getting to me

so now Im building another for half that and itll look just as good

zx9r full engine kit 500 quid

forget the pinto unless your on a tight budget which I appreciate

mark_mcd

posted on 31/12/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
I sold my car for the reason of our shite weather 10k sitting in the garage was getting to me

so now Im building another for half that and itll look just as good

zx9r full engine kit 500 quid

forget the pinto unless your on a tight budget which I appreciate

is that £500 all bits included to go straight in (i presume thats what you mean by kit)? who supplied it and what condition is the engine in?

im only saying £4500 as the article i read on the car (in ppc magazine) said you can easily build a decent spec one for £4500 and £3000 if your skimpy?

scotlad - so even the pintos pretty fast then

[Edited on 31/12/06 by mark_mcd]

zxrlocost

posted on 31/12/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
you dont get exhaust but you get all other bits to bolt in

youll need a sprocket adpator £50

but yes thats everything

asking questions like the condition of the bike engine is pointless as most have already been took out the bikes

youll just have to be satisfied that when you start it up itll sound great!!!

aim for the 4.5k and youll be ok

Taz Surfleet

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
if your dead set on a bec you dont have to use the latest engines, theres plenty of slightly older 1000+cc engines out there that will give u more than enough bang for ya buck.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by Taz Surfleet]

mark_mcd

posted on 7/1/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
how many miles can one expect a bike engine to live? i appreciate a car engine will in most instances easily do 100k+ but do bike engines last even half that? how long for a zx9r in particular

zxrlocost - does mk supply the engine kit you speak of?

zxrlocost

posted on 7/1/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
hi all kit car comanies can sort you an engine

Id look for one on ebay or give malc a call of here

bec can be built for 4.5k

dont worry about mileage theyll go on long enough for you

mad dad

posted on 7/1/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest how driveable do you find the bec compared to cec for normal trips down the road on a weekend...for these is the cec a better bet???

zxrlocost

posted on 7/1/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
dont know because I liked going to the shop at 12,000rpm

mark_mcd

posted on 9/1/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
is anyone in the process of building a car with the new chassis i hear of? i presume there is a different version for bec and cec? the website does not seem to tell you much!
matt.c

posted on 9/1/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark_mcd
is anyone in the process of building a car with the new chassis i hear of? i presume there is a different version for bec and cec? the website does not seem to tell you much!

Me very interested too

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/1/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
ME
mark_mcd

posted on 10/1/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
ME

care to elaborate?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/1/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I am just in the process of building a MK with the new spec-R chassis,it has a 2006 ZX-10R,turbocharged,there are a few more pictures of the build,to date in my archive.
martyn_16v

posted on 10/1/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Me too! Haven't got very far though, floor isn't even on yet. As far as I can tell the differences between BEC and CEC chassis are about the same as they are on the 'old' chassis, with the exception that the bulkhead has to shuffle back a wee bit for a car engine. Mine is upside down at the mo waiting for it's floor, i'll try and remember to take a couple of pics of the engine bay area once it's back the right way up to compare to a BEC chassis
PAUL FISHER

posted on 11/1/07 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yours must have been chassis number 6 then,there's the 2 MK demo cars,1 chassis went to Sweden,and there's a guy in Doncaster building the other,and me and you,there's another one being built this month,to be raced in the 750mc,now that the chassis been registered.
The good news is for anyone thinking of building the new spec-R car it is as easy to build as the original MK INDY,although there's a lot more work for MK in the manufacture of the kit.

martyn_16v

posted on 11/1/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
When I was chatting to Baz when I ordered he said they had about 10 chassis to build before they got to mine, but thinking about it he was probably talking about total orders (indy and spec-R) they had stacked up, not just the new chassis. Number 6 eh? I imagine the other 5 are all going to be BEC as well?
Kelvin

posted on 11/1/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a price for the new chassis yet? Couldn't see it on the website, but probably being a blind git!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 11/1/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
The new chassis kit price is +£600,so just add this to either the starter kit price,or the delux kit price.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.