Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stopped by the police... (F*LTH) Apparently I am not allowed to call them this...
farmer.palmer

posted on 9/8/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Well thank you all for your opinions, even those of Mookaloid, who it seems needs to get out more and spend less time worrying about the actions of others.

If only I had known it would have been such a contentious issue...

I will now let you all into the reason I asked. I drive an awlful lot of miles on 'A' roads and I like to push on, but what really dissappoints me is the mobile speed camera parked just around the corner. I have been saved on many occasions by the flash of the headlights from on-coming traffic (to you all I thank you, and return the favour where ever possible). But, I was thinking about installing a very discreet RADAR jammer/scanner in the car and wondered what grounds the FILTH (they are FILTH with far too many powers and ridiculous targets to hit, I have no problem with heavy handed policing in the right areas, but all too often its the easy targets who get picked on) need to search your vehicle.

And before I get any more complaints about the use of the word FILTH, maybe I should just point out that several of my closest friends are policeman and woman...

Kind regards to you all.

james

and no I don't speed through 30 mph zones....

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/8/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Radar jammer/scammer. Now that will definitely get you into trouble and attract attention when they realise the camera suddenly goes funny.

tks

posted on 9/8/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
every mobile car is equiped with a detector for suchs thing. A fine will be the result and building out the thing wich will be destroyed..

for the rest in NL its the same; if they think your car needs to be searched then they can do that. In fact its evenso with speed, if they think your moped runs to fast they can pull you and put you on the rollers!anoying thing is they given't me an receipt so i came late to work with a dodgy excuse about being pulled out.

Tks

[Edited on 9/8/07 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farmer.palmer

And before I get any more complaints about the use of the word FILTH, maybe I should just point out that several of my closest friends are policeman and woman...

And have you asked them if they enjoy being called that?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Seems to me it is a perfectly valid opinion that the police are filth. What's next, banning people because you don't like the colour they painted their car...

I don't think I can see a connection between a term of abuse - which if you stood in front of a policeman and actually said it - there is a good chance you would get your collar felt, and someones free choice to paint their car any particular colour.

I have never been a fan of moderation on forums, but I feel that on occasion when someone posts something particularly offensive then it should not be allowed to remain on the site.

farmer.palmer

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I think they understand that its a LIGHT HEARTED unoffensive term that happens to have been taken far too seriously on this occasion. I am also quite certain that i am not the first person to use that reference on here, neither will I be the last.

Lets move on.... PLEASE

Kind regards

james

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

nick205

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I will now let you all into the reason I asked. I drive an awlful lot of miles on 'A' roads and I like to push on, but what really dissappoints me is the mobile speed camera parked just around the corner. I have been saved on many occasions by the flash of the headlights from on-coming traffic (to you all I thank you, and return the favour where ever possible). But, I was thinking about installing a very discreet RADAR jammer/scanner in the car and wondered what grounds the FILTH (they are FILTH with far too many powers and ridiculous targets to hit, I have no problem with heavy handed policing in the right areas, but all too often its the easy targets who get picked on) need to search your vehicle.

Kind regards to you all.

james

My original comments....

What (hypothetically speaking) have you got in your car that would be of concern to the police should they search your car?

Also, why (again hypothetically speaking) would the police have stopped you?

IMHO it would come down to "grounds for reasonable suspicion". i.e. if you, your behaviour or your car looks suspect in some way they have the right to stop and search you and your vehicle.

Plus...

If you have close friends who are in the police force, why not ask them for advice and guidance on the matter?

farmer.palmer

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Because I don't want to compromise their professional integrity...

Cheers

james

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well thank you all for your opinions, even those of Mookaloid, who it seems needs to get out more and spend less time worrying about the actions of others.

If only I had known it would have been such a contentious issue...

Kind regards to you all.

james

Well if that's light hearted I woudn't like to see you wound up and annoyed

As said above I bet your average policeman wouldn't think think it was a light hearted term of affection either......

Have your discussions about the various merits of speed cameras or over zealous police or whatever - I don't care. there have been many useful and amusing off topic conversations on here in the past and I am sure that there will be many more - However it is my belief that this is not the place to be offensive towards people, and just as you are entitled to your opinions, I am entitled to mine.

Perhaps we should have a poll to see how many members think that the use of this term is acceptable?

[Edited on 9/8/07 by mookaloid]

scootz

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Let people use the word 'filth' if they want... it highlights who the chavs and scumbags are!

[Edited on 9/8/07 by scootz]

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Let people use the word 'filth' if they want... it let's us see who the chavs and scumbags are on here!

You may have a point

chockymonster

posted on 9/8/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you get pinged too many times by a speed gun and they get an err-03 or similar on the gun then they will report your details.

What will then happen is a couple of nice policemen who won't like being called Filth will turn up on your doorstep nice an early one morning. They'll impound your vehicle and arrest you under the suspicion of Perverting the course of justice.

Your car will be systematically stripped until they find the jammer and not necessarily put back together properly. You'll probably end up with a hefty fine or a prison sentence.

This isn't supposition, this is going from the experience of someone I know.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 9/8/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
so is it against the law to use a speed detection divice ?

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk

Not against the law to use a detector I don't think, but you can get devices which will effectively render the car 'invisible' to laser or radar guns...these are illegal I believe

Cheers

Mark

owelly

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
As I see it, it's not illegal to own a detector but it's illegal to use it for evading prosecution. Jammers/scramblers (not musicians/motorbikes) are illegal to use.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I can think of better names than 'Filth'!!
Throughout my childhood, I wanted to bo a policeman.
I had a 50cc motorbike when I was 16. I had it on the road for three days and got pulled up three times so I parked it up and it's probably still there in my Mams shed! The copper (can I call him that?) pulled me at the same time, the same place and each time checked my docs.
After passing my car test and getting my first car (a Mini Van actually), the same three Bobbies (acceptable?) would pull me up whenever they saw me. I once got seven 'producers' in six consecutive days. The van was totally standard and I was just driving to and from work.
For those reasons, I have absolutely no respect for the plod (too far??) and each story of incompetance that we all hear about just compounds my beliefs.
I won't apologise for how I feel and as far as I'm concerned, the rozzers (??) have only themselves to blame. I won't apologise for tarring them all with the same brush as when they put on the uniform, they are all as one (in my eyes!) It may well be totally the wrong attitude to take (especially as I have a few police chums) but that's my side of the coin....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

gttman

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

My original comments....

What (hypothetically speaking) have you got in your car that would be of concern to the police should they search your car?

Also, why (again hypothetically speaking) would the police have stopped you?

IMHO it would come down to "grounds for reasonable suspicion". i.e. if you, your behaviour or your car looks suspect in some way they have the right to stop and search you and your vehicle.

Plus...

If you have close friends who are in the police force, why not ask them for advice and guidance on the matter?

Thats easy to say if you are not the one being stopped...
If you happen to be regulary stopped by the SAME people with the same law abiding outcome it is clearly wrong and infriging your rights.

But I am also confused as to why the original poster doesn't ask his friends in the force rather than on a car forum.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Hellfire

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I believe the word FILTH is a little too over the top to describe members of the Police force... I too have absolutely no respect for them either but hey-ho - they have a job (?) to do as I do. I know some of you on here are Police-persons and I respect not knowing what you do for a job - though I ask "does it matter".

I was a young lad (19) driving a reasonably new (2 years old) 2.8i Capri, I drove with respect and usually within the law. Never got pulled once in the 2 years I had it...

I must agree with the commenter who stated that it kind of reflects the type of person you are by the language you choose to use... so by that does it make the thread creater a Chav/Pimp/Scumbag? Debatable!!

BTW I do 45,000 miles/annum have done for the last 10 years or more and only been stopped once (though I have recently accrued 3 points).

Life is too short to "make" enemies and using language which can be construed as aggressive, offensive I tend to avoid for that very reason...

Using a speed camera detector is not illegal... neither is using GPS with speed detector location points, as it is available as a legal free download. Scramblers/jammers are illegal... if you have one, expect to get searched/stopped/frisked!

Just my 2p

Steve

farmer.palmer

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I must say this is fabulous, I started an innocent thread asking a perfectly reasonable question and now we seem to be into attacking people and questioning their moral and social values.

If you consider me to be a chav, pimp, etc, then so be it, I have better things to do with my time. However, I do have some strong opinions on certain issues, and also a wicked humour, so I would like to thank you all for providing me with something really interesting to follow today when I should have been outside in the sunshine but am unfortunately stuck in the office.

Cheers to you all.

james

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Wiki - slang terms for Police

* 5-0: Slang for police officers and/or a warning that police are approaching. Derived from the television show Hawaii 5-0.

* Babylon: Jamaican English term for corrupt establishment systems, often applied to the police.

* Bacon: Derived from Pigs: often used in the structure "I smell bacon" to warn of the approaching presence of an officer.

* Barney: Term coined after Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show.

* Bear: Short for "Smokey the Bear" in reference to the hats worn by some U.S. state police being similar to that of "Smokey the Bear". "Bear bait" is a reference to speeders, who may draw the attention of the police and allow slightly slower traffic to exceed the speed limit in their wake. "Bear in the Air" is a reference to a police chopper.

* Bizzies: Common Liverpool slang term for the police, it was invented as the police were always too "busy" to help.

* Blue Heelers: After a breed of Australian Cattle Dog. This term was used for the Australian police drama series Blue Heelers.

* Blue Meanies: This is a 1960s hippy slang term for the police, it was used in the Beatles film the Yellow Submarine, although many viewers may not have realised its significance.

* Bluebottle: A British term for policeman that may have derived from Cockney rhyming slang, (see also Bottles).

* Bobby: This is not now widely used in Britain (except by the police, who still commonly use it to refer to themselves), though it can occur with a mixture of affection and slight irony in the phrase "village bobby", referring to the local community police officer. It is derived from Robert Peel (Bobby being the usual nickname for Robert), the founder of the Metropolitan Police.

* Bottles: Cockney rhyming slang for Coppers (see below), from Bottles and Stoppers.

* Boys in blue: A reference to the blue uniform worn by some officers.

* Bronze: A term used for police officers in the 1979 Mel Gibson movie Mad Max

* Bulls: An American term usually used to refer to railroad police but may also indicate regular police officers.

* Cherry Toppers: Often used in reference to police cars which in most nations bear red lights on the top of the car.

* Cop: While commonly believed to be an acronym for Constable On Patrol, the term refers to "one who captures or snatches". This word first appeared in the early 18th century, and can be matched with the word "cap", which has the same meaning and whose etymology can be traced to the Latin word 'capere'. (The word retains this meaning in other contexts: teenagers "cop a feel" on a date, and they have also been known to "cop an attitude".) Variation: Copper. It is also believed that the term Copper was the original, unshortened word, popularly believed to represent the copper badges American officers used to wear at the time of origin, but in fact probably used in Britain to mean "someone who cops" long before this.

* Crusher: Of unknown origin but may have come from the nickname used for the Royal Navy Regulating Branch.

* Dibble or The Dibble: Arises from the police officer in the Hanna-Barbera animated programme Top Cat. Most commonly used in Manchester.

* Do-do nutters or The Do-dos: Arises from the stereotype of police officers eating donuts.

* DRC or The DRC: Dirty Rotten Cop(per).

* Feds: a term in widespread use around the West Midlands area, especially Birmingham. Derogatory slang, used mainly by white youths, possibly down to influence of imported US television programmes.

* Filth: a term in widespread use in London.

* (Name of city)'s Finest: Used in either admiration, or slightly derisive irony, in the United States. In New York City, the term has been adapted to other civil servants, such as "New York's Bravest" (the Fire Department) and "New York's Boldest" (the Department of Correction).

* Flatfoot: A term that refers to the large amount of walking that a police officer would do, thus causing flat feet.

* Folks, Tha Folks: Southern Lousisiana, rarely used.

* Fuzz: This North American term first appeared in the 1920s and gained popularity in the 1930s. This slang term may be in reference to the sound of the field radios that police commonly use. It surfaced in Britain in the 1960s.

* The Heat: American; putting the heat on someone. (Example: in the line What a field day for the heat (Stephen Stills, "For What It's Worth" from Buffalo Springfield, 1967), Stills is referring to the police.)

* The Gaver: Cockney slang for the police - unknown origin - London.

* Heavy or Heavies: Cockney rhyming slang for the Flying Squad, from the Heavy Mob, (see also Sweeney).

* Horseman: A Canadian term referring to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Variation: Mounties.

* Mama (Maman in South): Hindi (Malayalam in South) word which means uncle. Sarcastic reference to a policeman.

* Member: Used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to refer to fellow Mounties in place of the usual "officer" or "constable" (or equivalent) in other police forces.

* Mr. Plod, P.C. Plod or Plodder: a British term that arose from the Noddy books by Enid Blyton, in which Mr. Plod was the village policeman. "Plod" has also commonly been used by the British police themselves, as has its (generally disparaging) female equivalent "plonk".
* Laws: a term that originated out of Houston Texas

* Old Bill: A term in use in London among other areas, inspiring the television series The Bill. The origin of this nickname is obscure; according to the Metropolitan Police themselves, there are at least 13 different explanations.

* Pandu Hawaldar: Indian constabulary (and not officers) were recruited mostly from village areas. Pandu Ram was a common name in the villages. Hawaldar is a police sergeant.

* Peeler: This also comes from Robert Peel (see 'Bobby'; it has largely disappeared in Britain, but is sometimes used in Northern Ireland.

* Pigs: This term was widespread during the 19th century, disappeared for a while, but reappeared during the early 20th century, and was used during the 1960s in the underground hippy culture. Oz magazine showed a picture of a pig dressed as a policeman on a front cover. [1]

* Po-po or Po: A term used commonly by North American youth and rap artists. The term most likely is just an abbreviation of the word police. Used frequently by youths in the UK, due to the influence of American rap artists.

* Po-9: A term originating from "po-po", used mostly in the southern US.

* Penelope's: A slang word for the police term coined by the SF Bay Area rap artist E-40

* Rashers: British slang derived from pigs.

* Rozzers: A British term. Origin unclear; possibly from the Hebrew word "chazer", meaning "pig", or may be a corruption of Robert Peel.

* Rollers: An American term believed to have originated in the San Francisco Bay Area

* Scuffers: An old British term.

* Scum: Used across Britain, as an insult to say that the police are lower than the criminals.

* Snippers: An African-American term used mostly in North America.

* Soggies: Australian term for officers of the Special Operations Group.

* Sweeney: Cockney rhyming slang for the Flying Squad, from Sweeney Todd, inspiring the television series The Sweeney, (see also Heavy).

* Smokey: A term from the CB Radio fad of the 1970s. See "Bear" above.

* The Thin Blue Line: Used to describe the role of the police in being the barrier between civilized society and anarchy, inspiring a TV series and a documentary of the same name. This has led to policemen involved in entrapping gays being ironically described as "The Thin Blue Jeans".

* Wallopers: Mostly Commonwealth usage, from "wallop" meaning to hit or beat.

* Woodentops: British term for uniformed police. Believed to be a reference to the 1950s children's TV series The Woodentops, very rarely in use.

So from the above I would say Coppers, old bill, Bobbies etc. are ok

Plod - not particularly complementary

Rozzers, Filth etc not acceptable.

I have heard quite a few people using Rozzers but I suspect that few know the actual meaning and few Policemen would appreciate that particular term.

I actually quite like some of these nicknames as they are quite inventive with being offensive - Fuzz and Bizzies being good examples

Cheers

Mark

PhilCross66

posted on 9/8/07 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I daren't even suggest what I think of the police, here's why.
A couple of years ago my house was raided by North Yorks police. I was away at the time working in China and only heard about this through my friends phoning me.
I came home to my house wrecked. Anyone who thinks they just look around carefully are totally wrong. They empty your drawers out on the floor, move and up end furniture, pull up carpets and even managed to damage a ceiling. My home looked like it had been burgled.
They had even spread my girlfriends underwear around obviously done to upset me.
Oh yes my girlfriend was house sitting at the time, she got the rubber glove treatment. She left that night and never came back.
I had an old mondeo I was fixing up for her on the drive. They tried to crowbar the door open, failed so smashed 2 windows to get into it. I ended up scrapping it because it was now too expensive to repair. The keys for it were clearly marked in my kitchen.
My own car was parked outside but I had the keys with me in China. They left it alone...?
Even though the house was occupied they smashed my door in, hit it hard enough to spit my door frame.
They seized my computers and mobile phone, luckily I'd just had an upgrade so they only got my old one. Also seized were all my car and motorbike log books and any financial paper work they could find. It took 3 months to get everything back. Had I been self employed they would have ruined me.
The police never spoke to me, never charged me with anything. They never came back and didn't leave any instructions to tell me what to do.
I had to write to the chief of police asking what was going on and with a list of damage they had done to my property.
Eventually I got a reply from some lawyer acting on their behalf saying any damage done was justified and kept to a minimum and there was no case to answer.
So the police didn't even have the balls to admit they made a mistake. Leaving me out of pocket unless I sued them which I couldn't afford to do.

BenB

posted on 9/8/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
They probably meant to go next door

Seriously. In my experience most rozzers are fine. They apply the rules appropriately and discretely and respect the people that pay for them to do that job respectfully....
But some (I unfortunately speak from personal experience) are egotistic, thick skulled, knee jerking, penny-pushing, racist, fascists with a complete lack of knowledge of the law they're supposed to support.

So I agree that, although meant as a slang term of affection, the word "filth" when applied to all policemen and policewomen is rather unfair.

However, I would go on record saying that there is unfortunately (as would be expected in any job description) a small proportion of police officers who are complete f#!+wits and actually act as barriers to justice rather than the protectors of it....

DavidM

posted on 9/8/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clockwork

Benjamin Franklin (top bloke):
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "

Here here. It never ceases to amaze me how ready people are to give up their rights. Only when all rights have been eroded will some people realise what they've lost.

David

Omni

posted on 9/8/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tiffshaw
This one is fairly straight forward.

There are two main bits of legislation that allows officer to search your vehicle when it is in a public place.

Section 1 Police and Criminal Evidence Act to allow searching for stolen goods, weapons and items used to commit thefts/burglaries etc

Section 23 Misuse of Drugs Act to allow officers to search for drugs.

In both cases officers need reasonable grounds to search. These are the officers justification and you do not have to agree with it.

The officer is required to provide you with his grounds and some other information including which station he is from. At the end of the search a stop slip will be produced unless the officer is urgently called away. If you do not receive a stop slip at the time it can be collected from the station at any time in the next 12 months.

Once an officer has established grounds and informed you he is going to search it is an offence (obstruction) to not allow them to search.

As mentioned in a previous post you do have rights under the human rights act which is why the officer is required to justify the search and produce the written record.

There is one other piece of legislation which allows a constable in uniform to search your vehicle and for this one they do not need any grounds at all

44(1) fo the Terrorism Act: - An authorisation under this subsection authorises any constable in uniform to stop a vehicle in an area or at a place specified in the authorisation and to search-

(a) the vehicle;
(b) the driver of the vehicle;
(c) a passenger in the vehicle;
(d) anything in or on the vehicle or carried by the driver or a passenger.

The other two are correct too. A olice officer should provide you with a written record of the search, but they only have to if it practicable to do so. If they were called away urgently they do not have to say and complete the record.

You are entitled to obtain a copy of any search record within 12 months of the stop.

O

Omni

posted on 9/8/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by graememk

Not against the law to use a detector I don't think, but you can get devices which will effectively render the car 'invisible' to laser or radar guns...these are illegal I believe

Cheers

Mark

Jamming devices are illegal in europe and it would give grounds to an officer to search your vehicle under Section 1 of PACE for Stolen/Prohibited Articals IMHO.

O

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.