Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield in the news
bigrich

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
i have always thought that the need for cats was driven by government spin, as has been said they increase co2 emmissions and fuel consumption by the conversion that takes place in them and the fuelling requirements they need to work correctly.
pretty sure the leanburn technology that was about at the same time would have saved more fuel and lessened emmissions.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

blakep82

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
i wonder how long it will be before they start targeting fizzy drinks companies, just think of all that lovely CO2 thats released when you open a bottle!

its all lies, aimed at increasing taxes eventually (fuel tax, road tax, bin collections, air travel tax...)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
500 years ago, the Thames froze over regularly. A 1000 years ago, it was so warm in this country wine grapes were a very common crop.

No. The Thames never froze regularly. Even if it did, the fact that it doesn't now means that it must be warmer, right? Grapes were not a common crop in the UK 1000 years ago. The climate didn't change that frequently. Data shows it has been stable for the last few thousand years save for one really cold spell when the thames did freeze and the last 150 years or so. What CET data shows is that since 1988 the temperature has risen steadily and quite differently to the previous 300 years. It is quite evident that the climate is changing. The only possible dibate is why, not if.

Between 1400 and the nineteenth century there were a total of 23 documented winters in which the Thames froze over at London (or 25 if you include "more or less frozen over" years which are shown in parentheses): 1408, 1435, 1506, 1514, 1537, 1565, 1595, 1608, 1621, 1635, 1649, 1655, 1663, 1666, 1677, 1684, 1695, 1709, 1716, 1740, (1768), 1776, (1785), 1795 and 1814.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_fair

fairly regular i'd say.

it goes on to say about climates growing milder around 1814, in the throws of the industrial revolution i think (?) but i doubt the fuel being burned then would be enough to make a difference.

I think the changes in temperature are normal changes for the planet.

anyone remember 'El Nino' a few years back? extreme weather patterns, its all a cycle, we're back to that again, give it 7 years and everything will be back to normal

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 30/10/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well, maybe the cat isn't such a good idea. I'm sure they'll work around it. Just as you did when SVA came in.

My own thinking has been that although we are building cars, we can only drive one at a time, usually only in good weather, and a small, light 7 copy won't burn a lot or fuel most of the time.

nathanharris1987

posted on 30/10/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

if you don't believe the climate is changing, you've heard we're still coming out of the ice age / the world is flat / cows emit more CO2 than humans then ....

im not saying the world isnt warming up what im saying is that humans have a relatively small part to play. and anyway, just because the scientists put it in print doesnt mean that their assumptions are right either.

Dangle_kt... nuclear energy isnt much more environmentally friendly than coal fired stations. The energy transfer is by far the most efficient, but when you take into consideration the labour intensive processes that it takes to extract uranium ore and the lifetime of activites that happen after a nuclear station is decomissioned, it aint really worth it.

It will be interesting however to see whats happening on the nuclear fusion front as thats recently been given the go ahead hasnt it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 31/10/07 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
No. The Thames never froze regularly. Even if it did

No - even if it did.

What kind of argument is that.

Rather than rereading Weismans book in an evening, I thought I'd google, and came up with this:

"River Thames Frost Fairs

The worst cold spells in Britain occurred between 1550 and 1750. The climate during this time was known as the Little Ice Age, when winters were so cold that the Thames froze over each year. It was not uncommon for the freeze to last over three months, as in the case of the winters of 1683 - 1684 and 1715 - 1716.

The first recorded Frost Fair was held on the frozen river Thames in London in 1608. It had tents, sideshows, food stalls and even included ice bowling!

The Thames had frozen over several times before 1608. In the 16th century, Henry VIII is said to have traveled all the way from central London to Greenwich by sleigh along the river during the winter of 1536 and Elizabeth I took walks on the ice during the winter of 1564.

From http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/london/thames.htm

I'd sugest that human population, not just it's activities are a major factor. Eg page 271 of said book:

"Worldwide, every four days the human population rises by 1 million."

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

That's a lot of co2

The average adult at rest inhales and exhales something like 7 or 8 liters (about one-fourth of a cubic foot) of air per minute. That totals something like 11,000 liters of air (388 cubic feet) in a day.
The air that is inhaled is about 20-percent oxygen, and the air that is exhaled is about 15-percent oxygen, so about 5-percent of the volume of air is consumed in each breath and converted to carbon dioxide.

http://www.answerbag.co.uk/q_view/314680

Like I said, I'm not going to reread a book for the sake of a dispute, but if you'd like to come up with a reference that says wine grapes weren't a major crop, then do so, rather than just saying so.

Simon

[Edited on 31/10/07 by Simon]

[Edited on 31/10/07 by Simon]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.