Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The Floor - Weld or rivet?
thekafer

posted on 21/9/03 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
18g steel,and I plan on using a bead roller
inbetween frame members w/the beads running laterally,for added rigitity.

No, I dont own a bead roller but I did talk my employer into buying one for a job we did...and plan on bead rolling my floors after hours under cover of darkness..

Oh, single piece.

Fletch

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

Browser

posted on 22/9/03 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

No, I dont own a bead roller but I did talk my employer into buying one for a job we did...and plan on bead rolling my floors after hours under cover of darkness..

Did he veto the English Wheel, guillotine and sheet metal brake, or have you not asked him yet?

Dunc

posted on 22/9/03 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
20swg aluminium sheet,1 on bottom of chassis rails 1 on top of chassis rails, VHB taped onto chassis, then injected with polyurethane foam to add rigidity and turn floor into a stressed member. Would also help with noise reduction

Can also be used for side panels.

MustangSix

posted on 22/9/03 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used a one piece section of 18ga galvanized steel, glued with urethane adhesive and riveted every 3" or so along every lower tube.

In a test with glue alone, I had to nearly bend the steel sheet to destruction to remove it from the tubing. With the addition of a few rivets, its going nowhere and has the advantage of being sealed at the same time.

jcduroc

posted on 23/9/03 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dunc
20swg aluminium sheet,1 on bottom of chassis rails 1 on top of chassis rails, VHB taped onto chassis, then injected with polyurethane foam to add rigidity and turn floor into a stressed member. Would also help with noise reduction
Can also be used for side panels.

Very interesting Duncan
Please (excuse my ignorance) what does VHB mean?
To inject the PU foam , admitting that both alu sheets extremeties are "closed" by the tubes to which they attach do you make a hole to be covered with a screwed cover afterwards? (Sort of those cover for the fuel bags in '70ies sports cars in the side ponds?)
Cheers

JCM

thekafer

posted on 24/9/03 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Did he veto the English Wheel, guillotine and sheet metal brake, or have you not asked him yet?

Since we are an aircraft completion center,
we already had the shear,brake ect..

However,he did say he'd like for us to build a small e-wheel.

Everybody at work are car nuts.We all have projects squirled away within the hangers. In fact they let (even encouraged)me build a frame jig and my frame there!

We're very fortunate to have a job situation like this, so we all chip in with things that need attention around the hanger on choosen weekends....Makes for a great moral booster!

Fletch.

[Edited on 24/9/03 by thekafer]

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.