Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham front camber
nick205

posted on 2/1/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham front camber

Just re-watched the R500 Top Gear lap and can't help noticing what looks like a lot of negative camber on the front wheels. I've noticed this on some other videos and photos of Caterhams, so assume it's not a special set-up for the TG lap.

Can anyone comment on why so much camber is used when we typically talk on here of around 0.5-1.0 deg?

mookaloid

posted on 2/1/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that the harder you drive the car, the more radical the set up needs to be.

If you only drive on the road then you aren't going to reach the cornering speeds that the Stig did.

The faster the cornering the more body roll and the more likely it is that you will need more -ve camber so that the tyre stays upright (maximum grip) on the limit.

It all varies according to the geometry of the particular car

Cheers

M

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

prawnabie

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
You mean there was a front end on that car??????
Z350

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
If pushing on on track on road legal sticky tyres then somewhere around 2 deg neg more if running sprint soft slicks.
sebastiaan

posted on 4/1/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've got -1,5 rear and -3 front camber on mine. I know it is a bit much, but the car is beautifully balanced that way.

Mine's an indy by the way.

flak monkey

posted on 4/1/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I run quite a lot on mine, somewhere around 2.5deg which is quite close to the caterham setup.

Its more than most people seem to be running, but I found it the best for my style of driving...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

procomp

posted on 5/1/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The reason they run quite a lot of camber is due to the lack of roll they have. So they need the camber on in static for it to have a better footprint during cornering.

However with many seven type cars the geometry is less than ideal and many of them posses geometry that actualy decreases camber during cornering and roll. So need high static camber to be any where near right during cornering. The camber can be used also to try and over come other issues with the handling so depending on what car what driver style and what tyre theres many different combinations of front camber and toe settings to get desirable handling.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mawmaw

posted on 5/1/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
camber

check your tyre temperatures across the tread after 20 mins of track time if they are even across the tread then you are about right! imho the least you can get away with and still have competitive times the better cos that way the car is stable under braking, lots of camber means they are a bitch under heavy braking, also with cross ply tyres you cannot run much camber, mine runs 1.5 which seems about right on the front of a sylva thingie on radials

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.