Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - New puppy, advice sought!
carpmart

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
OT - New puppy, advice sought!

Well. we will have a new addition to the family in just over a week when we collect 'Tilly' our golden cocker spaniel puppy from the breeder.

She is our first ever dog so I got a few books and have been reading up on the subject. I was just after any 'golden rules' or 'key advice' from the more experienced dog owners on here!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Don't have any power/phone cables within reach

Buy a soft furry bed and a babies blanket for it. Loads of toys it can chew (teething)

Take it to car shows/beach/crowds once its jabs allow.

Train it on a lead from the moment it can go out.

First thing you teach it is to come to you when you call. Reward it with treats to train this. It’s very important.

Loads of other stuff really, but just make sure you give it the attention it needs.

[Edited on 23/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
treat em mean keep em kean .

We've always had dogs and I've trained three. They're completely lovely but dont give them 100% attention as soon as you get in etc because they'll become spoilt just like kids would.

Also get them used to a cage or bedded area that is "theirs".

theres too much to tell on here. Anything specific give me a U2U.

Craig

tegwin

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
You are the boss..... YOU come first.... so make sure you feed it AFTER you have eaten and washed up etc every day....

This seems to be quite important with ours...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cd.thomson

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
You are the boss..... YOU come first.... so make sure you feed it AFTER you have eaten and washed up etc every day....

This seems to be quite important with ours...

yes this is very important

Craig

Agriv8

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
craig is the lab in your avanta yours ?

Makes me smile every time I see it.

Its that lab 'Arnt I a realy clever dog and I deserve a treat'

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
treat em mean keep em kean .

We've always had dogs and I've trained three. They're completely lovely but dont give them 100% attention as soon as you get in etc because they'll become spoilt just like kids would.

Also get them used to a cage or bedded area that is "theirs".

theres too much to tell on here. Anything specific give me a U2U.

don't listen to him, look at how grippy he is on buying dog beds!

nasty man

[Edited on 23/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
handyandy

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
all of the advice already given above is really good advice,

the major one for me is that YOU & your wife/partner & kids are higher in status than the dog, if you lose that then the dog will wreak havoc.

also for toilet training, DON,T use the paper on the floor trick, this just teaches the dog its ok to "go" in the house.

i have 8 dogs & wouldn,t be without them but they must know their place within the family.

last word of advice ......... enjoy the ownership of your dog.

cheers
andy

cd.thomson

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
hahaha, no you've got it all wrong

thats the cats bed, silly fella (seamus) doesnt know the difference though when you tell him to "get in his bed". You should have seen my face when I got up in the morning to find im crammed up in a tiny ball trying to sleep in it, when his bed was right next to it!

He's in a bit of difficulty today, he was left in the car for 20 minutes, managed to get into the boot and rip open a bag of dog food and chow down - greedy lad is waddling around now like a stuffed pig!!

We rescued him when he was 18 months, so hes a little messed up, but the best dog I've ever had.

[Edited on 23/7/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

carpmart

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Good advice there chaps.

I can't believe how excited everyone in my family is about the puppy arriving. The kids aren't young 15 and 19 so I think the dog will be clear about its status at the bottom of the food chain.

In people's experience, how quickly can an 8 week old puppy get trained to control its bladder functions?

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

trextr7monkey

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Couple of weeks should get it 95% of the time as long as you are very vigilant - first sign of distress/squatting get it out in the garden and spend a lot of time outside with it if possible - you can then catch it being good and offer suitable rewards.

Meantime stock up on lots of kitchen roll- it is as absorbent as they say on the adverts!
Probably one of the s best things you will ever do as a family. Good luck!

Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Agriv8

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
My dad always trained lab gun dogs when I was a kid some some very long pedagree's ( and the pricetag to match )

But the best one he ever had was brought to him as an 'untrainable stray', it took him 2 years to train ( and would never work for anyone but my father ) but was working up until the day she died thought to be about 15, had one of the best noses around - problem was she was vertually fully deaf and once she was out of range of the whistles wold keep going until she found her bird. My dadhas worked may dogs since and whe was still his favorite

Would love a lab but away from home too long during the day.

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

scootz

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
... to add to the above

1. When feeding the dog for the first few months - regularly put your hands in the bowl once the foods in. Feel free to even help him / her to feed. This gains your dogs trust... you won't steal their food!

This will then assist with retrieving the inevitable socks, trainers, mobile phones, etc. that your little-pal will 'find' from time to time and think is 'his'. Shouldn't be any snapping, or growling.

2. Regularly, but gently 'poke about' the sensitive areas of the dog. No, not THOSE bits!

Pull apart the pads in his paws, touch his nails, inspect his teeth, look into his ears... again, it gains his / her trust - you won't hurt him! Will save you a fortune in Vets bills too over time as you'll be trusted to retrieve glass, thorns, bugs, boils, etc. from sore bits that you wouldn't normally get near for growling!

After years of keeping various breeds, we now keep Rottweiler bitches... raise them properly and I defy anyone to find a more placid and sociable canine!

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

In people's experience, how quickly can an 8 week old puppy get trained to control its bladder functions?

It’s as varied as humans. One of my vizsla’s was house trained from 6 weeks and as yet has never made a made a miss in the house. The other one took about a month.

I agree with above that you should not encourage them to use news paper in the house, more that’s a last resort which they don’t get a row for using though. It doesn’t actually want to do it in the house, you just need to learn to when it needs out. You’ll find it will prance about or look agitated when it wants out.

Can’t believe I’m talking about house training dogs on a car forum…

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

After years of keeping various breeds, we now keep Rottweiler bitches... raise them properly and I defy anyone to find a more placid and sociable canine!

there's a huge male one that regularly comes into our garden, a right monster it is too but is actually a total softy and just wants a cuddle pity it drools so much

speedyxjs

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Watch the film marley and me but make sure you have tissues.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

cd.thomson

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

, dont like them that much speedy..

Craig

mad4x4

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would ween the dog onto Dry dog food from the start. I would avoid the can'd stuff. Just makes the crap smell worse and makes the dog a fussy eater.

Also works out lot cheaper as well. Go for something like WAG.

Also avoid "Hills Science Diet" it is like a very hi spec Robin Reliant. Not worth the money..... IMHO a good balanced diet is better like adding a tin of tuna in to food if they need more omega 3 / spinach for iron.

Ooo and for Treats - try veg instead of chocolates etc.

Our greek Hunting dog will eat and love Carrot , peppers, corgett, potatoe, turnip, tomatoe, cucumber, loves sweet corn (??).

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

blakep82

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

, dont like them that much speedy..

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Found a good book in the library when we got our mutt - written by a bloke called Fisher, IIRC.

Various simple rules:

Never let it sleep on your bed (you're the top dog, so lower-ranking dogs should not be allowed there). If you don't believe how important this is, try sitting on the bed of a dog who thinks he's high in the pack! Our dog used to get quite upset if I did that.
Never let it get regularly into a position where it can look down on you (top dogs occupy the highest ground). In fact, our dog was never allowed upstairs in our house.
Always eat first - feed the dog after (top dog gets the first food)
Never give food from the table as you're eating (it raises the 'rank' of the dog in the pack).
Always try to go out of a doorway first - you are the pack leader, not the dog.
You decide where you go for a walk, not the dog.

The aim is for the dog to consider itself the lowest-ranking member of the pack, below every other member of the family - it won't mind in the slightest as long as it's treated well and fed regularly.

Our old dog was always treated this way, and he was the nicest animal you could imagine.

carpmart

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Again thanks for the advice.

I intend to keep the dog kenneled outside (except the harsh months of winter) but we also want it to be comfortable with using the kitchen family room as well. Any tips in this respect? The puppy is already kept outdoors most of the time as its from a semi-working background breeder. I don't want to get it too accustomed to the house but equally don't want to shove it outside in a kennel on its own the first night away from its litter mates and mum. What would you do here?

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

cd.thomson

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
hmm never had an outside dog, but cant see an 8 weeker doing well at all after its just come away from the litter.

Keep it in the kitchen at night while you ease it into the family, with it outside all day. After its more comfortable start extending its outside time into the evening (and dont go out to visit it) then eventually just go to bed!

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can’t say I’m all that harsh with mine. They get fed while I eat (usually half my dinner), sleep on my bed along with the two cats when they feel like it and lounge around on the sofa while me and missy are on the big bean bag with the cats. Then again they are extremely obedient, don’t need leads to walk in town as they just follow at my heal and perfectly good natured to other people and animals. Mostly down to the dogs being happy really.

JohnN

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Found a good book in the library when we got our mutt - written by a bloke called Fisher, IIRC.

Various simple rules:

Never let it sleep on your bed (you're the top dog, so lower-ranking dogs should not be allowed there). If you don't believe how important this is, try sitting on the bed of a dog who thinks he's high in the pack! Our dog used to get quite upset if I did that.
Never let it get regularly into a position where it can look down on you (top dogs occupy the highest ground). In fact, our dog was never allowed upstairs in our house.
Always eat first - feed the dog after (top dog gets the first food)
Never give food from the table as you're eating (it raises the 'rank' of the dog in the pack).
Always try to go out of a doorway first - you are the pack leader, not the dog.
You decide where you go for a walk, not the dog.

The aim is for the dog to consider itself the lowest-ranking member of the pack, below every other member of the family - it won't mind in the slightest as long as it's treated well and fed regularly.

Our old dog was always treated this way, and he was the nicest animal you could imagine.

Good advice, When we got a new puppy, I thought it was cute that he would like to stand on my lap with his paws on my shoulders to look out of the window. Or so I thought, he even would rest his chin on my head - awwwww

Big mistake.

He thought he was top dog and it took a determined effort to do all the things advised above to get him back under control. he even had a spell of "marking" his territory, which thankfully we've managed to stop now. However, we've had to get a new carpet and some curtains along the way.

I can see now why our older dog would always lie down in front of me if I kneeled down - it was a sign of subservience and recognition of his position in the family pack

coozer

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't drop your sunday dinner on the carpet. If you do make sure you clean it up real good.

You don't want to end up with a hole in the carpet.

Kept mine in a cage when we were out and during the night until lit learned not to poo in its own nest, then removed the cage and put the toilet on the door mat. Two days later he would wait by the door to do it outside

Mine now knows who the boss is but take sno notice of wor lass. When we take him out he will search around for long grass and only crap on the big clumps, or goes in the bushes out the way like he's shy (which he certainly aint, grrrrr)

He's mint, and gives us a laugh, farts and runs off a lot....

[Edited on 23/7/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.