Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Luggage Area Tubes - What do you think?
John P

posted on 22/2/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Luggage Area Tubes - What do you think?

I am buikding a McSorley +4 chassis so the luggage area is basically as per a book chassis.

At the rear the top of the luggage area is formed from a piece of 3/4" tube bent to form a "U" shape which looks OK.

At the bottom however the support is from the 1" x 1" Tube V which has small tubular ends formed from 3/4" dia tube bent to a much tighter radius than at the top.

Now that I've done this I'm a little concerned over how it will look with a larger radius at the top of the rear panel than at the bottom and also whether this will make bending the aluminium over the tubes more difficult.

I don't want to cut the chassis about but wondered if I could make a hoop for the bottom which was similar to that at the top and weld this so that it just touches the corners of the end of Tube V.

Rear Luggage Compartment Tube
Rear Luggage Compartment Tube

What do you think? Is it worth doing and would it be OK.

John.

[Edited on 22/2/10 by John P]

[Edited on 22/2/10 by John P]

RichardK

posted on 22/2/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
My McSorely +442 was made with different radiuses and it was quite a difficult forming the ali sheet around them as you are in effect creating a taper shape, but that's what I wanted as my front is very tapered, if you want it looking square then I would do what you suggest and basically have the same U frame top and bottom, that's if I've understood you correctly.

Loads of pictures in the gallery link below and if you look carefully at the bottom you can just see some small creases where the ali sheet just nipped up, on reflection using a bit of heat while forming would have improved the fitting.

Live and learning though.

Cheers

Rich

Apologies for the crappy phone pictures..

[Edited on 22/2/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/2/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I would do if doing all again, so much easier for wrapping with ally. I would use 25mm round instead of 19mm, harder to bend but easier to wrap and a bit more protection in a rear ender

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

James

posted on 22/2/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Thats what I would do if doing all again, so much easier for wrapping with ally. I would use 25mm round instead of 19mm, harder to bend but easier to wrap and a bit more protection in a rear ender

Seconded!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.