Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Adjustment when building a BEC...
Ash1983

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Adjustment when building a BEC...

Hey people,

First post on here so could well be in the wrong place or asking Q's that already have answers - apologies in advance if so!

I'm looking to start building my Locost 7 (based on Ron Champions book) but am aware that a few/several issues surround the accuracy of his cassis. Bearing in mind I want to have a bike engine in mine (at a guess an R6?), does anyone have any useful advice before I start in a couple of months. Obviously don't want to start cutting it up and re-welding after realising I should have asked the question.

Thanks

alistairolsen

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
google mcsorely locost and use his plans instead of the book for a start.

Id leave out all the triangulation in the engine bay sides and top and the lower longitudinal chassis rails until you have the engine in place in its mounting frame and try to achieve one set of members which does as much as possible.

My Build Thread

blakep82

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest, the answers are all in this site somewhere, but i wouldn't have a clue where to look. i think David (flak monkey) has a list of all the corrections on his own build blog site thingy, so perhaps worth asking him?

i don't mean any of that in a cheeky way, i mean, the answers are all on here lol

welcome btw

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

UncleFista

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
R6 ? Is that the 600cc ?

I'd have a good look and research gearbox strength/longevity, usually the weak point of smaller bike engine packages....

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

smart51

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'd think twice about a 600cc bike engine. If you're going to the trouble of making a new BEC, I'd advise nothing less than 1000cc.

Johneturbo

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Ash

You'd want something bigger than a 600cc i woulnd't fit anything less than a 900cc

600 wouldn't cope with 500kg ish

Doh to slow!

[Edited on 30/3/10 by Johneturbo]

Ash1983

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell...if only everything had such quick responses!

Yeah ideally I want to put a 1000cc engine in but I'm just looking at costs...that said I'm sure someone on here will no doubt advise that the difference i price isn't that great. Very early doors so appreciate the comments.

I'm guessing this Mcsorley drawing/design is what anyone wanting to do the chassis themself should be working from then?

Thanks

iank

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ash1983
I'm guessing this Mcsorley drawing/design is what anyone wanting to do the chassis themself should be working from then?

Thanks

http://www.mcsorley.net/locost/drawings.htm

Yes the McSorley drawings are accurate. He also provides cutting/order lists.
Finally there are different versions
(+4 and +442) that add inches for the more generously proportioned builder.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Hugh_

posted on 30/3/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I agree 600cc is too small, Fireblade RR 893cc engines are cheap now
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-HONDA-CBR900RR-R-FIREBLADE-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ320507777307QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item4a9fc0911b

big_wasa

posted on 30/3/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
or a zx9, the old zzr1100, rf900 are all cheap and will give just over 100bhp
zilspeed

posted on 30/3/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
or a zx9, the old zzr1100, rf900 are all cheap and will give just over 100bhp

Ye Olde Zed is 147 bhp

Even the ZX10 (not ZX10-R) is 137bhp with the right carbs / carb tops.

And here's a link of a sub 900cc motor givng it some beans in a Westfield.
750cc actually.

And here's another link.
This time a 600cc Honda engine in a Jedi chassis.
I know, not a Locost, but this and the above clip make the point that sometimes you don't need the full fat engine to do good things.
I reckon that a 600cc single seater might work quite well for me. Our capabilities are far more likely to be compatible than something with the full 160-200bhp modern 1000cc bike engine.

A CBR600 still has 108bhp. A light chassis build would absolutely force you to do it right. No fat.

lsdweb

posted on 30/3/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Ash

I have a friend who competes in a 600cc R6 engined single seater, but I'd recommend a 1000 as a minimum for a 7.

When putting my R1 Westfield together, we decided to try to avoid a separate engine cradle to reduce weight (not sure how much this has reduced it by though!)

Here's a photo

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lsdweb0/WynEdwardsWestfieldRebuild#5300909525934323234[/img]

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 30/3/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Photo! Rescued attachment header tank install.JPG
Rescued attachment header tank install.JPG

lsdweb

posted on 30/3/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
And another photo Rescued attachment linkage.jpg
Rescued attachment linkage.jpg

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/3/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ash1983

Yeah ideally I want to put a 1000cc engine in but I'm just looking at costs...that said I'm sure someone on here will no doubt advise that the difference i price isn't that great. Very early doors so appreciate the comments.

Whilst a 900cc or more engine may initially cost you a bit more, its the fitted cost that you should consider. Take for an example the exhaust - getting an off-the-shelf exhaust for an R1 or fireblade engined car from Aries Motorsport etc will save you loads over having to get one made to fit a 600 etc.

As said, gearboxes and clutches may not last so long and you may struggle with the torque (lack of) with a 450 - 500kg car.

For cost effectiveness, look at the likes of carbed ZX9R, R1, fireblade etc. I sold a 98 ZX9R for around £400 a couple of years ago and believe its still going strong with a fellow member now.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.