Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying chassis rails once powder coated?
adrianreeve

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Modifying chassis rails once powder coated?

I'm struggling to find an exhaust manifold for the right money. The only ones I can find are the type that go through the chassis rails rather than over the top. As none of the exhausts I'm looking at were actually designed for the Haynes roadster, they tend to collide with the chassis diagonals between the top and bottom rails. Given that my chassis is now powder coated, how much of a ball ache is it going to be to cut the offending rail out, fit a manifold, then weld in another diagonal wherever it will fit? Do you reckon the chassis strength will be too compromised, or will putting whatever diagonal I can get in there be ok?

Opinions please!

Cheers

Adrian

MakeEverything

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Welding a powdercoated rail will ruin the powerder coating on the heat affected areas. Someone has done it on mine in the past and its all flaking off and rusting!!

I would look at buying a system that fits best and modifying it rather than the car.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

40inches

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
What engine? I would think that if this was a problem someone else will have sorted it out. Have you posted on the Haynes forum?
boggle

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
had the same problem...ended up chopping upou the diagonal and re bracing....

you would be best making your own manifold...

what engine is it for?

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

adrianreeve

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's a zetec engine.
mark chandler

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Its not just a simply case of chopping out either, if you remove a diagonal you need to keep the box made of triangles so would replace with a Y, as below so will burn in three places. Rescued attachment Drawing1.jpg
Rescued attachment Drawing1.jpg

boggle

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
hence why i siad re bracing.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

eznfrank

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I've had to chop out and move a few bits on mine and destroyed the powdercoat. If it's black you could try black enamel paint, I used that on mine and is a pretty good match.
Bumble

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Adrian,
Sorry to hear you're having troble with finding a manifold to suit. MK do an over the top Manifold I thought as do Fisher - have you tried these?
Anyway, i modified the diagonal to enable my manifold to fit. 1st pic shows exhaust fitted and you can just see where I cut the diagonal off on lhs of pic. Second pic shows new diagonal(s) welded in place. Wasn't too much hassle.
Hope this helps.
Matt Rescued attachment IMG_5660.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_5660.JPG

Bumble

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Pic no. 2.......also welded some extra braces in on top rail and earth stud which can be seen in this pic too. Rescued attachment IMG_5784.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_5784.JPG

adrianreeve

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Nice looking exhaust that Matt, where did you get it?!!

Glad it worked out ok for you

Cheers

Adrian

Bumble

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yep it's worked out great....couldn't understand why you didn't go this route yourself but I hope seeing what i've done helps. Still think you can get a decent "over the top" manifold though.....check out the pic in Big_Wasa's photo archive under Engine for his Fisher exhaust.
My chassis is powder coated too and yes it does bubble up and flake off local to any new welds but I cleaned it up and repainted with hammerite smooth and primer and to be honest it's hard spot the difference.
All the best,
Cheers,
Matt

dunk3

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
my zetec exhaust

I had my exhaust made by martin keanan of mk enginering , mine goes over the top rail, Rescued attachment Exhaust 4.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust 4.jpg

dunk3

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
pic 2 Rescued attachment Exhaust 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust 2.jpg

dunk3

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
pic 3 Rescued attachment Exhaust 3.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust 3.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/4/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
we modified the the whole interior of the car and just repainted where we had to weld.
Its just a thing you sometimes have to do.
You can limit the damage to the powdercoating by using a product called cold front.
Its a putty that stops the heat in the affected tube /area
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8822&frostProductName=Cold%20Front%20%28414ml%29&catID=33&frostCat=Welding&frostSubCa t=&subCatID=

Hope that helps.

Staple balls

posted on 29/4/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I got a nice over the top manifold from 907 on here, bloody beautiful lump of steel.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.