Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: the same-day dvla challenge
cd.thomson

posted on 29/8/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
the same-day dvla challenge

IVA retest on tuesday morning at derby, is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting plates same day if I pass?

What are my chances if I drive home via the nottingham office (not sure theres an office in derby) with the relevant v55 forms (which I have already got), chequebook in hand and turn the charm on full?

Craig

Bluemoon

posted on 29/8/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
IVA retest on tuesday morning at derby, is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting plates same day if I pass?

What are my chances if I drive home via the nottingham office (not sure theres an office in derby) with the relevant v55 forms (which I have already got), chequebook in hand and turn the charm on full?

Depends on the local office. Note that you might be driving without insurance (fine to drive to the IVA (so long as you have insurance) gray area if you "happen" to pass the DVLA office on the way home)...

cd.thomson

posted on 29/8/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
the office is on my way home of course mr police officer!

cheers for the response bluemoon, I wonder if anyone on here has any experience with the nottingham office?

Craig

jacko

posted on 29/8/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=141240

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/8/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
My local DVLA only does inspections on a set day of the week. So if thats the same in all of them, then you've got a 1 in 5 chance of going on the same day...

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Bluemoon

posted on 29/8/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
My local DVLA only does inspections on a set day of the week. So if thats the same in all of them, then you've got a 1 in 5 chance of going on the same day...

No they are a law unto themselves, every office is run as they see fit..

Peteff

posted on 29/8/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
We've been to Notts DVLA for a few things and they are very easy to deal with for most of them but if you need an inspection I would expect you to need an appointment at least. We took the documents and VIC for a cat C and put it back on the road, no trouble as long as things are in order.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

cd.thomson

posted on 29/8/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
just told my old man I can't find my donor v5, so its going to be a Q-plate.

He's properly disappointed..

Are there any real disadvantages?

Craig

Bluemoon

posted on 29/8/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
just told my old man I can't find my donor v5, so its going to be a Q-plate.

He's properly disappointed..

Are there any real disadvantages?

No real difference. Q plates can carry a Stigma for some, age related plate looks better as standard. Q= unknown/dubious past in some peoples eyes..

bigpig

posted on 29/8/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
At notts, probably no chance. They insisted I pre book the inspection.

They also seem a bit funny about VIN numbers. My fist mistake was asking them to allocate a number, they said they could only do that after an inspection which they would do before the IVA. After speaking to them again to arrange a date they said it could only be done post IVA. Of course with no VIN the IVA was not possible and was told this second time they wouldn't inspect prior to IVA.

In the end I sent a recorded delivery letter with my proposed VIN on, which they reluctantly accepted, but didn't confirm in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having to change my VIN post IVA.

But to be fair, I did get a different person on the second time I contacted them to perhaps they have changed over staff.

Personally I quite like Q plates. They are something unique you can't just buy on line They make the MOT simpler, insurance companies who do kit cars don't seem to give a dam about them and only limit for a kit car is you can't change to a personalised plate later. Its not like I'm building a brand new car.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/8/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
q is visual smoke test a mot time

Bluemoon

posted on 29/8/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
q is visual smoke test a mot time

Not sure that's correct? it should be done on the engine age?... (Not all MOT stations will be clued up)..

[Edited on 29/8/10 by Bluemoon]

SteveWalker

posted on 29/8/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes after SVA/IVA the emissions test figures have been put on the V5 when registered and sometimes not. If there are no emissions figures quoted (mine has none) then a Q plated car will be visible smoke only, whereas an age related plate will have an emissions test relevent to the plate or the engine age (whichever is older).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.