Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can somone check my cage layout? Matt?
alistairolsen

posted on 6/10/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can somone check my cage layout? Matt?

I've been thinking about how best to lay out my cage for a while now. The rear roll bar, diagonal and stays are pretty much a given on the locost so it was the front half and roof that came in for scrutiny.

I had considered the external layout and bolting it on so i could remove it for access if required but I also want to vent the side panels at the engine bay bulkhead and didnt like the look of some of the bases of cages, not least the ones with a bend at the bottom which aren't MSA compliant. This one doesnt have the bend at least, but obscures the venting:

Heres mine:

This is just a first shot, I tried tying the front legs into the chassis, having the front frame about where the screen would normally go (I think Ive gone one step too far forward in my diagram)

Things Id like to know:

Is the basic layout MSA compliant if made from the appropriate material and welded by a good welding contractor?

Will having the tube inside the chassis annoy my knees forever more? I see the procomp cage is welded to plates mounted on top of the standard chassis bars?

Does the X bar in the roof (rather than two rails along the car and a single diagonal) make getting in and out significantly easier? more importantly is it still safe?

Cheers

PS, a second take:

An alternative option for the lower mounting, but I don't like the single bolt fixing

Any comments of advice would be great as obviously if I'm going to tie in the front tube as Ive shown it needs done asap, otherwise I need to fit some fairly hefty mounting plates to which i can bolt or weld the cage at a later date.

[Edited on 6/10/10 by alistairolsen]

My Build Thread

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt the X shape roof bars will comply. They need to be as per diagram 53, page 191 in this dococument http://msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/10/160-195%20Competitor%20Safety.pdf

which shows 2 connecting bars, in line, either straight or with a bend/kink in them. You can have an optional cross/digaonal bar between them, but you must have the 2 outer connecting bars.

alistairolsen

posted on 6/10/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I did wonder, I didnt like the look of them, but it's as ever a trade off between living with the cage everyday, and wanting it right the one time you have to rely on it.

My Build Thread

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thats why im going for the arched style bars that are slightly towards the centre, that should allow comfortable access and 'i beleive' will still comply (should I ever need them to)

[Edited on 6/10/10 by loggyboy]

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I havent looked at the MSA implications, but i do recall seeing diagrams showing bolt on connections, you could do a single bar down the midde for road use, then bolt on the side braces when using for competion.
Diagrams 21-29 and 52 seem to show approved bolt in connections

alistairolsen

posted on 6/10/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
That might be an option. I seem to remember matt saying the raised bars like in your diagram (which is the MK cage I think?) arent legal

My Build Thread

franky

posted on 6/10/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just to let you know its my car in the first pic and the cage doesn't affect the vented panels at all, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered venting them
MK9R

posted on 6/10/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
That might be an option. I seem to remember matt saying the raised bars like in your diagram (which is the MK cage I think?) arent legal

Its the bend angles in the tube IIRCC, isn't the maximum 15 degrees. Don't quote me on this, just a vague memory

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 6/10/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

Yeah he did state that MK bars had been deemed illegal, but its my firm belief this is due to the double kink in the front bars, and nothing to do with the conecting bars. Im sure Matt would disagree, and he has already stated his point that he beleives the diagrams to be definitive point and that cages should look just like them. However my view (and i'll willingly agree its from someone who has never had to put a car/cage through MSA/FIA scrutineering) is that drawing 53 (that i mentioned earlier) clearly states 'Connecting bars may be bent or straight'. It doesnt say anything about 'can only be bent a little bit'
I cannot see any guidelines on what angles are allowed.

[Edited on 6/10/10 by loggyboy]

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
On a further note regarding comparisons to Procomps cages, these are tested and approved, so using these as any form of base is pointless, unless of course that part of design is also shown in the Blue book. Use nothing but the blue book for guidance and you should get it right.
hicost blade

posted on 6/10/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would ignore the Caged mounting system as its rubbish (I know this because I have one and had to get Pro Comp to modify my chassis to fit it correctly)

I would drag the car down to Pro Comp and let them do their thing, for the sake of a few hundred ££'s it’s not worth 'trying' to do it yourself

This is not my opinion, this is from my experience BTW

Werner Van Loock

posted on 6/10/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
This is how my cage is now, custom made in holland, don't know how this complies to msa or not, but gives some thought

striker cage 1
striker cage 1

striker cage 2
striker cage 2

striker cage 3
striker cage 3

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 6/10/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about how useful it will be in a rollover Werner (hope you don't ever test it)... but that looks

It's Evolution Baby!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 8/10/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, i'm really pleased with it and no i'm not going to test it, though it's build to standard raw spec, they all are like this.

http://www.clubstylus.be

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.