Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: my garage
calybusa

posted on 3/7/04 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
my garage

Need some advice im kind new to all this and wanted a few thoughts from you guys with experience. i have a garage roughly 16ft by 8ft and 6.5" high. do you guys think this space is sufficient to build a locost car in?? Heres a pic of the garage course the junk will be cleared Rescued attachment garage3.JPG
Rescued attachment garage3.JPG

calybusa

posted on 3/7/04 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
sorry i didnt think the picture would turn out that big
blueshift

posted on 3/7/04 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not very good at feet and inches.. and I'm drunk.. but I figure if you can fit a locost in it with 6 inches all around, it's enough space at a pinch. anything more is gravy (like space for Stuff or workbench, welder etc).
scoobyis2cool

posted on 3/7/04 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got a driveway or similar you can use? Once you've got the wheels on you could wheel it out for more space if you find you haven't got enough space (weather permitting)

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 3/7/04 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
oh yeah. some people (mark allanson?) have assembled their cars outside, you could keep it under a tarp or something, and use the garage as a workshop. possible?

we've got a smallish single garage, not sure of the dimensions. we have our build table built over the engine at the moment, with enough room for a workbench at the end and some shelving down the sides. all other bits and bobs are scattered around the house / shed etc

Chris_R

posted on 3/7/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have a garage of similar dimensions and am coping alright. I found suspending a bench on the rear wall gives you ample space to work whilst still allowing you to fit a whole sierra in. You'll have enough space to erect a flat work surface and still store parts beneath that and your bench.

The only problems I have are light and electricity. Light in the summer is no problem, but electricity is a bit of a pain. I tried hooking up my MIG to a generator, but the MIG didn't want to know. My part finished chassis is now at my parents house were electricity is in abundance. It'll prolly be there for a couple of months before coming home. :-)

Good luck with the build though. Rescued attachment bench_in_garage.jpg
Rescued attachment bench_in_garage.jpg

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_R

posted on 3/7/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
underside. Rescued attachment bench_underside.jpg
Rescued attachment bench_underside.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/7/04 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Lucky bastard!! Rescued attachment Outside.jpg
Rescued attachment Outside.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
With regard to the garage...

10ltrs of white emulsion on those walls should give you 50% more reflected light and would cost less than a tenner! One strip light in the centre (preferably two, one either side is better!)

You deffo need a bench with a decent vice... looks like we did our build in comparative luxury... No heat, but light and power!

Mark - so you have a snow machine show off!

fatfranky

posted on 3/7/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly I've never built a Locost - Yet! but have done other car projects.

I've seen various people prepare the "big lump" ie. bodyshell (or in this case Chassis) and then have no room left to work on other parts because yhey are tripping over their bodyshell (often damaging it).

The approach i prefer is to prepare the smaller parts, such as wishbones or overhauling the donor components replacing bearings, seals brake linings etc. these parts can then be stored away in shed cupboard loft etc. and then just used when required.

When you do build you can then very quickly get it to a stage where you can at least wheel it in and out of the garage to allow room to work.

I read an aricle in a magazine years ago about equiping a very basic council lock up type garage and included such common sense items such as using an old 12v battery to have some light and an old calor gas heater so you can at least stay warm in winter, i've probably still got it and can dig it out if required.

Alan B

posted on 3/7/04 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Franky....

Good logic there.....that does make more sense...probably needs a lot of discpline not to make the frame first, but definitely worth considering...

Oh yeah....Welcome to the madhouse..

calybusa

posted on 3/7/04 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys thanx for your thought you've been real helpful i've got plenty of garden space so i'll be doing most work outside.
calybusa

posted on 3/7/04 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
hey could u dig out the piece of council thing if its not too much of a hassel, cheers
Chris_R

posted on 3/7/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
have to agree with the paint suggestion. It does make it much lighter. Rescued attachment garage_painted.jpg
Rescued attachment garage_painted.jpg

blueshift

posted on 4/7/04 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
a quick me too. got a load of cheap paint and bits from wilko, white garage is lighter and also feels nicer to work in. cleaner and more productive, rather than grubby mismatched bricks and mortar.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/7/04 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Im a bit tight for space in a single but better than SCOTLAD who did his on a patio in a scottish winter. Hardcore!
We got a shed to store the bits in then bring them to the work area for assembly

[Edited on 4-7-04 by mangogrooveworkshop] Rescued attachment TIGHT SQUEEZE MGW copy.jpg
Rescued attachment TIGHT SQUEEZE MGW copy.jpg

macspeedy

posted on 4/7/04 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
not much room plenty of bench and scottish weather! Rescued attachment P6200015.JPG
Rescued attachment P6200015.JPG

millenniumtree

posted on 5/7/04 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ooh ooh!! I want your place! We live in an apartment complex, with NO garage, NO patio, and a strict policy against doing ANYTHING mechanical to your car in the parking lots.

I took my spark plugs out one day, and got yelled at for it. I SO MUCH wanted to say "This isn't mechanical, it's electrical!!"

My best bet is a relative or friend's house, or cleaning/storing the parts in the closet before building the frame. The engine is in my daily driver, so I would just have to wait as long as possible to build the frame and buy the tranny/axles.

Terrapin_racing

posted on 5/7/04 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
You could get some 4x2 beams (use galv. brackets from builders merchant) and make a structure to support the body panels near the roof whilst using the floor space. White paint is a must for visibility. Good floor/concrete paint (I prefer International floor paints grey - B&Q) will make those droped nuts/bolts easier to find as building progresses.
fatfranky

posted on 5/7/04 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
As requested i've copied the magazine article i referred to earlier and have put it as a new post in the tools section.

For what it's worth after my original comments i looked at Chris_R's build site and his garage appears to be exactly as described. I'm also saying this to stick up for a fellow Geordie in the face of all you southerners.

Hope the article is of some help

thekafer

posted on 5/7/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I envy anyone with any garage..I built my frame in a hanger at work but we've since sold that hanger..I also live in an apartment but should be getting a house soon. I have plans to use an etching floor paint as well because it makes it much brighter and is nicer to "roll around" on.
Our hangers have painted floors and it sold me....

...outside in a Scottish winter!!!!....now thats really wanting it!!!!..

Fletch,

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

Chris_R

posted on 5/7/04 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have looked into 12v lighting as I don't like running my generator for extended periods (being bang in the middle of a housing estate). I'd hoped that floor paint would be a good idea, but to be honest I can't tell yet. The photo on the previous page shows a large tin at the front left of the garage, which still contains all the floor paint that arrived in it. Unfortunately there's too much in the garage to give it the twice over. Will let you know if I ever get round to using it.

suparuss

posted on 6/7/04 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
ive used leyland red floor paint in my cellar, im not sure if its cos id only concreted the cellar floor 3 days prior to painting or cos of the rising damp, but if it gets even a little bit of standing water on it, it starts to dissolve!
probably just cos of the uncured concrete though!
cant wait to get round to ripping my garage down and rebuild it ABSOLUTELY HUGE! Yippeeee. at the moment my 'slide over' door hits the ceiling and dislodges from the roller groove things and goes all cockeyed!

calybusa

posted on 11/7/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
i guess i dont have it so bad!!!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 11/7/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
i am building mine in a 20' shipping container which is in my garden . am having 3 phase put in it on tuesday then gas heater and will have a fantastic little workshop. am having 3 phase cos i have a lathe and miller

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.