who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/7/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
wikid!!!what engine is that?

Rotrax?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

theconrodkid

posted on 13/7/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
so what transmission then and where does it get its drive from,look even better with a blade in it

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

posted on 13/7/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Honda 500 cc dirt bike engine-50+ HP
Diff from Mercedes 190.

Fifer

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm abit confused, the engine looks like it's mounted inlet (or exhaust) fore and aft. Surelu the drive is from the side of the gearbox ?. How is it coupled ?

P S, It's Rotax

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Diff is to be rebuild to take sprocket and chain.
Engine is mounted as it would be on the bike.The carb is not on hence the big hole witch misleadingly can be seen as the exhaust.

theconrodkid

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
infinit improbibility drive?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
What you mean by "infinite improbibility drive"?
Peteff

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a CR500? That's sacrilage breaking one of those to make anything else. They should be preserved for future generations to see how mad the 20th century was and how people had no regard for personal safety, voluntarily hurling themselves into oblivion on these projectiles.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
cita,infinite improbibility drive was in the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy series,look it up,read the books by douglas adams

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yep! Honda CR 500
Purchased it some 10 years ago and took it apart for one of my crazy helicopter projects.
Made one ride on that bike and that thing scared the hell out of me.

Fifer

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Really confused now, if its from a CR500 it must be an ancient one as it is obviously air cooled. It's not a Rotax then as they are four stroke in the large cc versions. Yours is a two stroke I assume.
Me thinks you will have much fun with burning clutches due to high revs required due to low torque. But if it works for you, hey, go for it !

spunky

posted on 13/7/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting

I too am a little confused (not difficult)
CR500's were strokers, that certainly looks like a Rotax engine and rotax do make 2 strokes but I dont recall a CR with a rotax. Are you sure its not from a CCM?

Like the look of the chassis, pretty close to what I'm working on for my next project, But I was going sand rail route.

Reckon you will have drive problems with the engine being gutless below 7K and a very narrow power band.
Also will kicking it into life be practical when you are gonna be stalling a lot.

I love big singles I own a XR650R racer,
personally I would give serious consideration to using a Honda XL650 or Dominator, both have leccy boot.
Or as a great compromise, a Yammy TDM/TRX 850. Really compact parallel twin and comes ready dry sumped.

Interesting project Cita, keep us posted.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

posted on 14/7/04 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
Two stroke it is from Honda.
I hope that the low weight of the car(should be less than half of a locost)will be gentle on the clutch,if not than i will have to build a lighter car is'nt it?
Something as a Lotus 18 lookalike

madforfishing

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely daring to be different.
After riding motocross for some years I always fancied a motocross engined road bike or a motocross bike made road legal.
This is the first time I've seen a motocross engined car.
CR500 was from back in the day when we had a world champion at THAT sport aswell. Dave Thorpe, I believe.
Cita, at least you didn't chose a CX500, yuk.
Good luck with your project, how did you plan on a starting mechanism ?
I seem to remember there being a 'de-compression lever' fitted on the bars of the bike and a kick start that could break your leg if you got your timing wrong.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 14/7/04 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
I am afraid no de-compression mechanism.Kick start can brake your ankle without any problem on these monsters.
Starting will be by means of pushing the car with me in it and two nice blondes pushing

sgraber

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
OK, back to the chain drive thingy....

I'm trying to picture this: Are you intending to attach a chain sprocket to one side of the diff? Inboard of the inner cv joint? Will this leave the (now unused) input shaft free-spinning? Will this provide power to the other wheel? Pardon my lack of understanding.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spunky

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I assumed Cita will adapt the diff input shaft to accept chain drive (weld a sprocket onto it) Driving one of half shafts will only drive that wheel. If the prop input was 'locked' the opposing wheel would drive the opposite way.

John

sgraber

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spunky
I assumed Cita will adapt the diff input shaft to accept chain drive (weld a sprocket onto it) Driving one of half shafts will only drive that wheel. If the prop input was 'locked' the opposing wheel would drive the opposite way.

John

Well that's what I thought! But Cita mentioned above that the engine was in place the way it would stay. I have ridden the CR500 (it's a good ride... ) and the sprocket is on the right side, not facing out the back.... in that configuration it'll never drive the input to the diff with a chain. Hence the 'Improbability Drive' quote earlier?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

spunky

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
quote:
Originally posted by spunky

John

Well that's what I thought! But Cita mentioned above that the engine was in place the way it would stay. I have ridden the CR500 (it's a good ride... ) and the sprocket is on the right side, not facing out the back.... in that configuration it'll never drive the input to the diff with a chain. Hence the 'Improbability Drive' quote earlier?

Hmmm. Maybe a chain drive to bevel gears
on the input shaft OK maybe not.
Or.... Weld up the dif internals and drive onto the half shaft for a solid axle .......................
Or, hows this? Mount a second dif sideways in front of the rear dif, coupling the 2nd difs output shaft to the rear difs input, and weld up the opposing output and connect drive chain to 2nd difs input..................
Or.......
Sod it, how you gonna do this Cita if you aint spinning the engine 90degs.

John

theconrodkid

posted on 15/7/04 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
thats why i mentioned infinite inprobility drive,just a hot cuppa and a few wires,simple

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeRJ

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Looks pretty obvious to me, if you look at the diff housing it's already had the back (and presumably the front) section chopped off. The sprocket will be attached to the crown wheel with a chain drive direct to the bike engine, no bevel gears in sight.

The interesting bit will be keeping the diff lubricated...

spunky

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Looks pretty obvious to me, if you look at the diff housing it's already had the back (and presumably the front) section chopped off. The sprocket will be attached to the crown wheel with a chain drive direct to the bike engine, no bevel gears in sight.

Mike
Thats really got my interest, lubrication issues aside, has this been done successfully before?

The interesting bit will be keeping the diff lubricated...

Bob C

posted on 15/7/04 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought - if you bolt a sprocket onto the diff in place of the crownwheel, you can turn the diff round so the 'back' becomes the 'front' and simply remove the pinion & its bearings & stick a cork in the hole! The diff can be upside down, back to front, it doesn't matter, it will always turn the wheels in the right direction. Without the pinion there are no issues wrt drive direction.
cheers
Bob

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.