Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Idea's for chassis (MX5)
Gear Monkey

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Idea's for chassis (MX5)

Having looked at both Saturn and Vodou chassis plans for an MX 5 based build I think I prefer the look of the vodou design, however to my knowledge they've not had one on the road at this time so clearly not tried and tested. The Saturn has very little triangulation at the rear so I'm working on my own design. In the pictures I've left out the very rear section so the diff support can be seen as this is the major area of change and easier to see this way.

You'll see I've used 50x25mm 16swg material across the rear and around the top of the diff housing and while the drawing is all box section all the triangulation may well be 20mm tube.

Any opinions? I still intend to add some strength to the lower rails but need to do some maths as there isn't much room to play with here with clearance of the lower wishbones and the diff itself.

Thanks

Gear Monkey

[Edited on 10/1/12 by Gear Monkey]

Gear Monkey

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Excuse some intersecting lines where joints would be, I'll refine the final drawing but you get the idea.
James

posted on 11/1/12 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
Why the 25x50mm stuff? Do you need the added strength? It will certainly add to the weight and make it harder to reach your 500kg, but will it add any useful stength?

Have you looked at the Cymtrics mods? Add 100% stiffness to the Locost design whilst reducing weight by 10%. It doesn't use any 25x50 AFAIK.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Steve Hignett

posted on 11/1/12 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
I don't recall exactly what I did there, but I do remember there were a few tubes triangulated! I can't look at the moment as I'm on my phone, but you can look at a prev post of mine with a few pics on (toward the end of my post is the rear of the chassis) here:-

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=132958

Any questions, please feel free to ask via U2U...

Steve

skov

posted on 11/1/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I like the triangulation you've added at the rear.
If you're going with the Saturn wishbones I think you'll have to remove those chunky triangles between the seat back and diff cage top, otherwise your brackets aren't going to fit!

Edit: Just noticed your in Cambs too - be good to have another Haynes Roadster builder in the area, there's not too many of us at the moment!

[Edited on 11/1/12 by skov]

Gear Monkey

posted on 11/1/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input chaps.

@James- They look allot like the Aussie mods, I plan to roughly follow these with my build.

@Steve- Your chassis is fantastic, great looking build.

@Skov- Awesome we'll have to get together at some point. Kitch (forum member) is also building a car alongside mine, we start cutting and welding on Saturday!! Taking your point into consideration regarding the small triangular bracing what do you think to this modification? Also lightened the steel diff mount plates.

skov

posted on 11/1/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Two new builders - even better
Deffo have to get together at some point and compare notes. I'm about 1 year into my build now - you're welcome to pop over if you want to see a good example of how not to build one!

The brackets should fit fine with the revised triangles.
One other thought, check the position of the two diagonals that go from the top of the seatback to the back of the diff cage. I think they may need to move inwards a bit.

[Edited on 11/1/12 by skov]

Gear Monkey

posted on 15/1/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Skov, Kitch and myself would love to come and take a look at your car, we'll be starting this weekend now we have all the bits.

I've spent quite a few hours accurately planning a revised rear end for the saturn chassis that should be far more solid without really adding any more than a kilo. These plans are I think bang on to scale so I'll be creating this in steel over the coming weeks.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

I'll finish these off as they are still missing the brackets on the left and the diff support which I need to play with and then I'll upload it to the sketch up database making it available to download.

Paul Turner

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd question the need for the diagonal across the bottom of the diff cage. With that there it'll be difficult to remove the diff.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
How did this end up being dug up?

Mistral Motorsport

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
How did this end up being dug up?

The OP linked it to his current Decision made thread and asked for input.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.