Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery locations
jon200

posted on 23/1/13 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Battery locations

Hi all,
I have had a search around but not been able to find much information. I have a battery box like this

Can I cut out a section of the passenger side bulkhead and sink it in so it looks pretty? Or would it get in the way for passengers feet? Has anyone done this or got some other ideas? I don't like having batteries in covered incase something drops into the terminals.

RK

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent question! One I can easily answer! F#$% the passenger.

Alternatively, you could sink it down to where their feet might go, if they are tall, but that's not the sort of person I want sitting next to me anyways. It likely won't fit in the space you have in mind, and you will end up mounting it up top, where it can sit on the horizontal chassis rails, up against the bulkhead, like many do. You will have no room to sink it down between the two footwells, above the transmission, either, with your car. Some have done this successfully, with their mini-me transmissions and engines.

Clearly, the answer is to ditch the Queen Mary battery, and go with a sportier, racy battery, that fits either down where I used to have mine (where you suggested) or my present location, which is at the end of the passenger footwell, on the floor. Passenger be damned!!!

snapper

posted on 23/1/13 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Russ Bost ( Furore) will do you a nice small battery
I have put my battery I front of the footwell bulk head in the engine bay low down with an Anderson plug connected for charging and the occasional jump start

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

v8kid

posted on 23/1/13 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Russ Bost ( Furore) will do you a nice small battery
I have put my battery I front of the footwell bulk head in the engine bay low down with an Anderson plug connected for charging and the occasional jump start

Is that a dreamliner one

Sorry could not resist it

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do make sure the battery is physically secured to the metalwork of the car. So that in the event of an accident it does not fly about and cause acid spill and electrical shorting / fire.
I used a couple fo battery clamps that fit to the bottom rail of the battery. Free from a scrapyard

I also agree with an Anderson Powerpole connector for jumping / charging.

I use the big 350Amp opnes on my jump leads. I have a short and a long section with Croc Clips and an extension cable.
Made of 35sq mm Welding cable which is vey flexible.
NOT the cheapest jump leads, but certainly one of the best.
You can get these croc clip leads with Powerpoles on from Stoneleigh.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mines in passenger footwell, where the brakes are on the drivers side.

Those small 20Ah Odyssey batteries are quite small.

Not sure whether it is acceptable for IVA, but I am passed caring now.

Matt

FuryRebuild

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just one thing about anderson connectors (which are great). I'm going to put my new one at the back of the car, pointing backwards. It will involve a little more weight from the wire, but means if I ever drive away whilst connected the cable just pulls loose, rather than drags the charging gear down the drive or pit lane.

+1 for seeing russ - i'm definitely going to get a nicad battery. I used to use the varley red-tops and they are way smaller for the same cold-cranking amps. In my fury it meant i could relocate the battery down on the floor next to the starter motor, meaning I only had 6" of cable to pass cranking current through, reducing loss to resistance. It also meant the battery was as low as possible and as near the centre-line as possible.

M

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

40inches

posted on 23/1/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I put mine in the passenger footwell, doesn't take up any more room than the pedals on the drivers side.
I did seal it from the footwell, and vented the battery to the underside of the engine bay.
Description
Description
Description
Description

jon200

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
well i cant sink it into the bulkhead beacuse the chassis parts are slightly too close together! so its either going to be on top of it or in the footwell. I want to be able to access it easily though so it will probably live on top tbh. Im not that keen on small batteries, Ive had one in the past and it didnt last that long really. It was a Varley Redtop too.
RK

posted on 25/1/13 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've had two! The size is great but they are a bit more expensive in the long run, I think.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.