Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Braze welding vs MIG costs: equipment and consumables
bigtime

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Braze welding vs MIG costs: equipment and consumables

Hi guys
I've been doing some research on welding.

If I'm correct Braze welding offers less initial costs. Specially if you already have acetylene tanks and torch.
Yet MIG is more economical in the long run? i.e. after you purchased the equipment less money is spent in MIG consumables than in braze welding ones?

Also is MIG faster, easier to weld without flipping the chassis position, and more forgiving for beginner welders and more tolerant of small gaps between tubes?

Thanks in advance.

Canada EH!

posted on 23/8/13 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
By braze welding do you mean nichol- bronze as used by Lotus and many race car manufacturers in the 60's and 70's, or the more common flux coated rod used in body repair back in the day.

Nichol-bronze when used with a liquid fluxer makes a strong bond with little expansion as the temperatures are lower than fusion welding.

Mig welding is easier for the beginner in my estimation having done both over the years, however if you intend to use chrome-alloy tubing the nichol-bronze is the way to go.

As to price I assume that you are comparing mig with a gas bottle against oxy-acetylene, being in Canada I don't know the cost of consumables in the UK, but I still have and use both in my shop.

designer

posted on 23/8/13 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Don't think you are allowed to braze a chassis as there is no obvious way for the inspector to see how good the joint is.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 23/8/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
MIG is by far the best option for a home build, its easy to learn, easy to see and fix mistakes and with a little practice will give you good results - also MIG can be used for far more things so in the long run its a far more useful tool

-

MikeRJ

posted on 23/8/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
There are also safety issues associated with oxy-acetylene bottles. A small leak from your MIG welders CO2 cylinder will be an annoyance, but filling your garage with acetylene could be life ending.

Rental and refill costs for oxy-acetylene bottles is also far higher than CO2 bottles for a MIG.

What acetylene does have going for it is usefulness, you can use it for brazing, welding, cutting or just heating to remove stubborn fasteners etc.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/8/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy a second hand mig for less than £100 and then sell it on afterwords. Cost of welding is a tiny cost compared to the rest of the build. As far as I can remember structural braze welding is no longer allowed even for MOTS. Buy a fan cooled (turbo) mig welder with 130-150 amp range with at least 4-6 power settings. Don't buy gasless wire as its too hot for chassis work. Try to get a large gas bottle that is not on a hire rate as that ends up very costly, BOC cost a bomb. Also buy an auto tinting helmet, arc flash is like having molten gravel in you eye, been there several times and don't wear a t-shirt unless you want very sore sunburn, been there also

[Edited on 23/8/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/8/13 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Absolute no-brainer here, MIG is required. Cheap, easy to learn and really quick. Fishmouths and other joints can be pretty horrificly gaped and shaped and it's all good. Superb production tool.

If you fancy a nice tidy joint, then consider TIG. I took the plunge last year. The learning curve is a steep one (was for me), but now the results are quite amazingly good after hundreds of hours of practice. It's not cheap, running costs (Argon) are high and the speed is glacial. Those joints have to be absolutely spot on and surgically clean.

coozer

posted on 23/8/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I had a set of oxy acetylene bottles in my garage. I liked them because I learned to weld at the NCB long before MIG came along..

A couple years ago I did my gas safety (transportation) course and once I'd seen the potential affects of a acetylene accident got rid damn quick!

I struck out for a good (Portamig) Mig set and haven't looked back since!

You get what you pay for so don't be tempted by the cheap crap Machine Mart sell...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coyoteboy

posted on 23/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Gas welding and brazing processes are so much nicer to actually do, calming and fluid. But MIG wins for anyone even remotely new trying to make a decent strength joint at home.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/8/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
As far as I can remember structural braze welding is no longer allowed even for MOTS.

I think that's only for brass brazing (copper - zinc) - bronze brazing (copper - tin) is far stronger, and was/is used by quite a few of the small manufacturers (but I can't think of their name just now - used to make chassis for Caterham).

Bronze brazing rods are quite expensive, you need the proper flux, and the joints are shaped differently for brazing to create strong fillets. It's a skill in its own right.

designer

posted on 23/8/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think that's only for brass brazing (copper - zinc) - bronze brazing (copper - tin) is far stronger, and was/is used by quite a few of the small manufacturers (but I can't think of their name just now - used to make chassis for Caterham).

An inspector has no idea what material was used or how good the penetration is, that's why it's not allowed. The few companies that braze chassis are certified.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.