Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Facet fuel pump a problem?
Cadburys Man

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Facet fuel pump a problem?

At a car meeting yesterday a chap approached me and asked me if i'd had any fueling problems with my Stuart Taylor ZX9R and when i asked him why he told me that when using a Facet fuel pump on a BEC it can cause problems due to the fuel pressure being around 8psi when the carbs can only handle around 4psi :-/ He told me to replace it with the correct one off the ZX9R or one off a similar carb'd bike. Opinions?

Daz.

Stuart Taylor ZX9-R Locosaki

Scuzzle

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Bike pump is far better IMO. I ran a facet and a regulator at first with my ZX9R carbs and had a lot of bother firing her up after a couple of weeks standing.
Switched for the bike pump and it primes so much faster and the car seems to be starting far better plus it's a bit quieter as well.

They work far better back at the tank pushing than up front pulling though.

40inches

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yep! ZX9R pump and filter works best. The carbs basically work best with a gravity feed, the bike pump replicates this, and has a built in pressure regulator. You know it makes sense
Fuel pump mounting, close up
Fuel pump mounting, close up

mark chandler

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
It depends what pump you have, you can get low pressure facet pumps 1-3psi that are fine.

Does your car leak fuel from the overflow pipes, if not then you are fine as a high output pump will force fuel past the float needles.

Regards Mark

Cadburys Man

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
It doesn't seem to leak fuel that I have noticed but it does make a clicking sound when I put the ignition on? Will it say anywhere on it what pressure it's running at?

Daz.

Stuart Taylor ZX9-R Locosaki

mark chandler

posted on 7/10/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
It will click quickly until it gets to pressure then click very slowly if at all with the engine stopped, mine looks like this and ran blade carbs perfectly well

Facet Posi-Flow Fuel Pump Single Carb 60104 Low Pressure 1.5 To 4.0 Psi

The casings are the same, it should have some markings scribed into it showing the PSI that it's governed to, these get a bad press as people use the wrong pump, so take something out of a box designed for SU carbs and stick on bike carbs.

If fuel does not leak and you can hold full throttle then leave well alone.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.