Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing Can
Hellfire

posted on 4/11/04 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Racing Can

What effect if any would a racing can have on our RRS Fireblade Engined Indy, besides the increase/difference in noise/sound

We currently have a MK sourced one which I think may be Stuart Taylor?

We have a few option to purchase a few types the akrapovic looking really nice, but also a micron to name a couple. Would it make much difference to performance... if so, how much?

Cheers!

locoboy

posted on 4/11/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
i may be talking nutsack but surely these end cans are designed to work in conjunction with the standard or race bike systems? honda spend a lot of time and money on making exhausts that work well.

As your exhaust system from headers to can is not the same as a bike system in terms of length of primaries, diameter etc this would be a very long winded process of trial and error, to find a suitable can to increase performance.

Am i right in thinking that MK or who ever supplied your exhaust do not deisgn them for power / efficient gas removal etc, its just a system that looks good and meets SVA regs.

If this is the case then your in for a long drawn out process of trying to find a can that *may* release some of the power that is being sucked out of it by a non performance designed header and downpipe.

Please correct me if im wrong though

ATB
Locoboy

phil_far

posted on 4/11/04 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the headers are more designed to match the re-jetted carbs. The original bike exhaust is designed with the 'standard' carbs and air-box. Thus if you find a racing can that is designed for re-jetted crabs then theoretically it should be Ok.
There is one important thing to mention: Although Honda sepnt a lot of time and money in designing there exhaust they still had a limiting factor which is space! If you go to this site www.strikerr1.com and click on exhaust you have a clear undertsanding of what I am trying to say! All bike exhaust are designed within their space limitations.
I think that a racing can (depeending on your carbs set-up) should be ok.

Philip

type 907

posted on 4/11/04 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I suspect that your MK/ST can will have been made with a perferated tube insideand packed
with f/glass or rock wool, (please correct me if I'm wrong) in which case it will be very similar
to many race cans.

One thing to be aware of with race cans is that although they give a small increase in bhp at
the top end of the rev range, they can give a loss in power or uneven running lower down the range.
In a race situation this is of no consequence, but on the road it may be.

Yamaha recognized this and solved the problem by introducing the EXUP valve, constricting the pipe bore
at low revs, but opening up at high revs. I believe Honda now do the same, now Yamaha's patent has expired.

Paul G

Too much is just enough

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.