Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What to use instead of Focus rear axle on chassis?
villagehoppa

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
What to use instead of Focus rear axle on chassis?

Hi All,

Been looking at a project and reusing all the parts off a Ford Focus Mk2 and literally transferring them on to a tubular frame but with shorter wheelbase, just wondering about the rear axle set up though? It seems like quite a big and heavy component, what alternative rear set up could I use to avoid the weight issue, ideally Ford too? Some weight in the back would be good I think but this might be too heavy, looking for options please, any ideas? The width would have so be similar to so scratching my head at the moment!!

joneh

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Locost or Haynes Roadster type Sierra rear hubs without the diff and shafts?
scutter

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
How about this Subaru WRC style rear subframe? WRC on top standard below for comparison.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Regards Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
villagehoppa

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Worth considering definitely, got to be modern though, the simpler the better... Thanks again..
rusty nuts

posted on 23/6/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can't get any simpler than a trailing arm set up something like an older Festa , Golf etc
ettore bugatti

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have bolton hub/ wheel bearings?

I would go for a 4 link live axle with a Panhard rod.

The axle could be made from 40x40x3mm box section and the lateral links could be as a seven. Then, you only need to make a provision to bolt the bearings/ brakes on.

Light, simple and on a proper FWD car the rear axle is only needed to keep the body from the ground

Do you have anything more to share on your project, sounds interesting!

owelly

posted on 24/6/15 at 03:10 AM Reply With Quote
I was just looking at the rear axle of my Puma the other day and it may just do what you need. Also the same as the Ka and Fiesta I believe?
Fiesta/Puma rear axle
Fiesta/Puma rear axle

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
villagehoppa

posted on 24/6/15 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's guys... Yes I like the idea old the Puma/Festa route but what I'm ultimately looking for is something that is available worldwide and easy to get hold of because I ultimately want to sell the car globally!! You gottta have dreams right!!! That is why I was going for the Focus, having previously used a Mk1 for something it is something I am familiar with but looking at the Mk2 it's too big and bulky. I want to use much of the front suspension because it will be hidden by body but by doing that is determines the width so I'm looking for what to use on the rear, double wishbone or something, not sure yet, but a nice compact unit like the Puma would have been ideal, just too narrow? Because the chassis will ultimately be a tubular frame and much lighter that a Mk2 Focus, can I get other springs and dampers that will keep the geometry but will be more suited for much less weight? All these questions!! What I need is a chassis designer!! Thanks all...
villagehoppa

posted on 24/6/15 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote

Thinking about it, I could just make the cross member part of the chassis(replaced with the main tubular frame structure, shaded) and just use the trailing arms? They look they unbolt, then job done.. use the geometry from the beam and fabricate on to the chassis?! Hmm head scratch.... Are there companies that would be able to use different rated springs and dampers?

rusty nuts

posted on 24/6/15 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Just wait until you try to unbolt the arms,!
emmett jenner

posted on 10/7/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
So is this going to be a front wheel drive build?

I like old Saabs so how about the rear axle from an old Saab. They're a good bit of kit, cheap to get hold of and powerflex do the whole range of bushes for it. Disc brakes rather than drums.

emmett jenner

posted on 10/7/15 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, and if it comes from 1988 or newer then it has 4x108 bolt pattern, same as a Ford.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.