Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-panelling my Striker Chassis.
cfc999

posted on 1/11/15 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Re-panelling my Striker Chassis.

Just contemplating the best and easiest way to re-panel my striker chassis. I've kept all the old alloy panels and was planning on using them as templates to cut out some new ones and more importantly drill them so the holes match up with the holes in the chassis.
I suppose the other option is to get someone else (not done any welding before) to weld up all the old holes in the chassis then start a fresh fitting new panels and drilling some new holes.

[Edited on 1/11/15 by cfc999]

daniel mason

posted on 1/11/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Or bond them all on
gaz_gaz

posted on 1/11/15 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into buying material and cutting it myself but in the end buying panels already cut from Martin at Raw was far easier and not that much dearer!!
adithorp

posted on 1/11/15 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
If reusing the old holes then accurately marking the new panel is difficult. Someone posted (a good while ago) a picture or link of a special tool for marking existing chassis holes on new panel. A good search through old threads might find it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeR

posted on 1/11/15 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
The tool is basically a strip of metal with another bit of metal bar welded through it. The bar is the exact size of the rivet hole with a pointy end. Pit the rod non pointy end in the chassis hole, ali over the top and tap lightly. Hey presto one mark of where you need to drill.
cfc999

posted on 1/11/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I've seen the tool you mentioned. What do people think of welding up the hole as a possible solution.

When I last looked on the Raw website I think a new set of panels was around £300 mark which seemed pretty steep or is that about right. Not sure how much big sheets of alloy are. I do have access to a industrial guillotine.

Rosco86

posted on 2/11/15 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
about £40 for a sheet of 1.2/1.5mm 8"x4" is what i paid i think

My Build Thread

lsdweb

posted on 2/11/15 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've repaneled mine.

I reused the floor panels, transmission tunnel and bulkhead - I had these cleaned and powder coated and these are fine.

I made new side panels as the others were damaged. A sheet of ali cost me £40. I used the originals as templates and they worked out ok.

The side panels share the same rivets / holes as the floor panels underneath so these are easy to drill (just fix the floor panels on thee sides).

I have a handful of rivet holes to drill in the side panels (they're still off as it's easier to do all the other jobs without them); I'll use the two hacksaw blade trick probably.

I'm not very good with my hands but the repaneling has worked out better than I thought I could achieve. The car will be raced not showed though!

Regards

Wyn

Description
Description

Description
Description

peter030371

posted on 2/11/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
In order to save me a bit of time I got Fisher Cars to supply and cut my panels + fit the sides and floor. I have since drilled and fitted the rear bulkhead and the transmission side panels are ready to fit and its not difficult providing you take your time and measure everything at least twice!

Some of my chassis rails had been welded up by the previous owner before re-powder coating and some not. If you get a pop rivet, crimp it hard so the center part is stuck in place and then cut off the center part where it comes out the rivet leaving a point you can use a handful of these dropped in any existing holes to mark the new panel prior to drilling (that probably doesn't make sense so I will take a picture later). I then used a center drill on the panel (a normal drill bit will move about so get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/centre-drill) and finished off with the correct size drill bit

Having marked and drilled my transmission tunnel panels to fit the current holes I now might re-do them all in carbon sheet as I have some and feel the need for a bit more tarty'ness

alfas

posted on 7/11/15 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
you should re-use the existing holes.

- drilling new holes leaving the existing ones will weaken the chassis
- welding the existing holes will also slightly weaken the chassis
- if existing holes are welded and if during fitting the new panels & drilling new holes you will need to drill through a weld, this might become awkward, as the weld will be harder than the steel of the chassis.

imo, anything else than using existing holes is botchery.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.